ADVERTISEMENT

Weight lifting thread/advice

now he's lifting at school with the team and strength program and I've lost control/knowledge of what he's doing. I assume it's better than what we were doing at home.

My experience with HS coaches would cause me to disagree with that assumption.

Agree with advice to lift heavy, low reps, to bear failure, with long rest times.

Also, I hate squats.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Eat more.
Sleep more.
Rest more between sets.

Those would be the first three things, without any video evidence to review. Is he squatting early in the workout? Is he squatting more than once a week?
So I am trying to post a gif/link of him in April.

I replied to your message, didn't realize you posted a video here.

Anytime. Other things...

I don't know his HS coach, but as Art stated, do not think his coach's program is any better than what he's doing now. I might even state, with the increases he's seen during non-season, that's evidence it's not as optimal. Unfortunately, telling a HS football coach he doesn't know shi'ite doesn't bode well for playing time.

Is he squatting first in the workout? It's taxing, so once he's warmed up it should be go-time on the squat. An example of a warmup I would do, coaching someone squatting 275, would be the following:
3 sets of 5 reps, just the bar.
1 x 5, 95
1 x 5, 135
1 x 2, 185
Minute rest
1 at 225.
2 minute rest.
3 sets of 5 reps x 275
4 minute rest between each set.

I think if you follow this approach, add 5 lbs to each workout set and he'll keep that up through probably 315. Add another warmup rep at the midpoint weight once he's maxing at 285 (so 255 there, or if maxing at 305 the midpoint would be 265).

He needs a belt. Up to him if he gets lifting shoes, but I see movement in his feet in his current shoes. And as I stated in the message... he's about 1" too high still at the bottom. So he's close to legit.

Anytime. Other things...

I don't know his HS coach, but as Art stated, do not think his coach's program is any better than what he's doing now. I might even state, with the increases he's seen during non-season, that's evidence it's not as optimal. Unfortunately, telling a HS football coach he doesn't know shi'ite doesn't bode well for playing time.

Is he squatting first in the workout? It's taxing, so once he's warmed up it should be go-time on the squat. An example of a warmup I would do, coaching someone squatting 275, would be the following:
3 sets of 5 reps, just the bar.
1 x 5, 95
1 x 5, 135
1 x 2, 185
Minute rest
1 at 225.
2 minute rest.
3 sets of 5 reps x 275
4 minute rest between each set.

I think if you follow this approach, add 5 lbs to each workout set and he'll keep that up through probably 315. Add another warmup rep at the midpoint weight once he's maxing at 285 (so 255 there, or if maxing at 305 the midpoint would be 265).

He needs a belt. Up to him if he gets lifting shoes, but I see movement in his feet in his current shoes. And as I stated in the message... he's about 1" too high still at the bottom. So he's close to legit.

200.gif

we were on a push/pull/legs/rest split for about 9 months at home, but now he's lifting at school with the team and strength program and I've lost control/knowledge of what he's doing. I assume it's better than what we were doing at home. They stretch, run, and lift for about an hour to an hour a half M/T/W/Th at 6 in the morning.*

*Edited to add he has typically been doing a push and a pull to supplement on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. Do you think he should do another leg day during the week?
I would give him 1 rest day. Probably Sunday. Make sure he is also getting at least 7 hours sleep each day. Depending on how much and how hard they are running each day cod impact his leg days.

I would give him 1 rest day. Probably Sunday. Make sure he is also getting at least 7 hours sleep each day. Depending on how much and how hard they are running each day cod impact his leg days.

Yeah, it’s hard to imagine you can make significant squat gains while on a running program.

Yeah, he's going to need rest days. Have him document what he's lifting M-Th. It might be beneficial to take Friday off, so that you know he'll be fresh Saturday for a heavy day (squats, deadlifts). Depends on what the coach is having them do.

We are trying to bulk up my soon to be 16-year old son. Trying to get him from a safety body to a linebacker body. When I was in high school, I was able to put on about 30 pounds of mostly muscle in about 8 or 9 months. Lifted 6 days a week, lots of protein, etc. He's motivated and is/has been willing to do the same. It's been almost 30 years but my recollection was doing chest/shoulder monday, biceps/triceps tuesday, legs wednesday, back/neck thursday, chest friday, beach muscles saturday, rest sunday, then start all over again Monday. Let's say it might look like the below, doing 4 sets of 4-6 reps each:
  1. Monday: bench, incline dumbbells, cables flies, decline dumbells
  2. Tuesday: wide grip curl, hammer curls, close grip bench, overhead dumbbell press, and tricep/bicep isolations superset
  3. Wednesday: squats, deadlift, hammy curls, quad extension, calf raises
  4. Thursday: lat pull front, lat pull back, dumbbell rows, shrugs, dumbbell lateral flies
  5. Friday: bench, incline dumbbells, cables flies, decline dumbells
  6. Saturday: shrugs, calf raises, wide grip curl, hammer curls, overhead dumbbell press, and tricep/bicep isolations superset
My son is still in season football so we are scaling this back to really 4 or 5 days right now when I pick him up from practice. We are limited to about an hour in the gym due to homework, eating, etc. We will have more time once football ends. I am his lifting partner which is fun and good for me and I am starting to feeling stronger/better after a week and he is too. Just curious for knowledgeable peeps such as @pink shizzle or @Monzon if that schedule and array of lifts looks good or if you would suggest something different. Like I noted this worked great for me. but who knows it could have been better... I should note we are also doing whey protein shakes and creatine. thanks in advance for any thoughts!
Mass for the sake of mass is a mistake for an athlete (one I made in HS). If he doesnt have access to S&C coaching, get on EliteFTS and read articles/workouts for athletes. They're a great resource for situations just like this.

Need to emphasize compound & explosive, feet on the floor lifts - deads, squats, cleans, rows, push presses, etc. Single joint movements are the last thing an athlete should be focusing on. Also need to be hitting core hard 4-5 times a week.

Thanks lifting bros.

Honestly, I don’t think I would be that concerned about his squat numbers. He’s on an overall fitness program, so he won’t get the gains you would see if he were just strength training. 275 is nothing to sneeze at for a 170lb HS kid. They are combining stretching, running, and lifting in a 1.5 hour program. That’s a great fitness program, but once he’s gotten to a certain strength level, with that program gains are going to be slow. Which is fine.

edit
I’m don’t qualify as a lifting bro; I am old and weak, with numbers that I would never own up to. My son is the lifting bro and he’s taught me enough to me somewhat knowledgeable.

How am I just seeing this? I’ve been a hardcore “lifting bro” for the last few months. 39 years old so not training for anything in particular. Just want to look good so hitting arms, chest, shoulders, and squatting.

P90x with dumbbells and a pull-up bar 3 days a week with 3 running days alternating in there. Seeing good results in terms of toning and definition, best shape I’ve been in since college, maybe even better since I was drinking beer 4 nights a week back then, but can’t really gain mass. Doing protein shakes an hour after workouts with 32 grams of protein. 160ish pounds five or take 1 or 2 depending on what I ate the night before.

Any tips?

How am I just seeing this? I’ve been a hardcore “lifting bro” for the last few months. 39 years old so not training for anything in particular. Just want to look good so hitting arms, chest, shoulders, and squatting.

P90x with dumbbells and a pull-up bar 3 days a week with 3 running days alternating in there. Seeing good results in terms of toning and definition, best shape I’ve been in since college, maybe even better since I was drinking beer 4 nights a week back then, but can’t really gain mass. Doing protein shakes an hour after workouts with 32 grams of protein. 160ish pounds five or take 1 or 2 depending on what I ate the night before.

Any tips?
This is non-snarky but read through this thread and do the push/pull/legs/rest split we settled on for my son. Went from 145ish to 170 since mid September but for sure did not lose speed and he’s pretty cut. Do that and eat more protein.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
@Monzon and other experts

Upvoted consensus on R/Fitness seems to be something like 5/3/1 for my goals. Wanted to see what you would recommend. Wanna get back in carefully because I'm a little heavier than last time. Looking to lose 1-1.5 lbs / week until I reach fighting weight. Currently 6 nothing 250, looking to get down to about 190-200 range and then he able to maintain that range with consistent cardio and diet. I have never done a deadlift in my life but I am comfortable I can remember form with squats, power or hang cleans, bench, shoulder presses, but something to keep in mind is I will not have a spot so a program with regular sets that are reps to failure is probably a bad idea

Upvoted consensus on R/Fitness seems to be something like 5/3/1 for my goals. Wanted to see what you would recommend. Wanna get back in carefully because I'm a little heavier than last time. Looking to lose 1-1.5 lbs / week until I reach fighting weight. Currently 6 nothing 250, looking to get down to about 190-200 range and then he able to maintain that range with consistent cardio and diet. I have never done a deadlift in my life but I am comfortable I can remember form with squats, power or hang cleans, bench, shoulder presses, but something to keep in mind is I will not have a spot so a program with regular sets that are reps to failure is probably a bad idea
If you have a power rack at home buy some safety guards that don’t allow the bar to get any lower than a certain point.If at a gym I’m sure they have them. Keeps you from killing yourself. If you lift at home with a power rack just use dumbbells instead of a barbell.

For deadlifts, a hex bar is your friend. Same strength benefits without nearly the risk of injury. Don’t let snobs talk you out of it; unless you want to compete in powerlifting, the hex bar is fine.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
For deadlifts, a hex bar is your friend. Same strength benefits without nearly the risk of injury. Don’t let snobs talk you out of it; unless you want to compete in powerlifting, the hex bar is fine.
Just get a quality one. We got a cheaper one that broke during the jump squats my son does.

It looks pretty uncomplicated to do them, they just somewhat uniquely weren't part of our HS football program for whatever reason. They are in most programs I've scanned so far though, so they must be pretty important for training and not just powerlifting. Not sure why we skipped those

It looks pretty uncomplicated to do them, they just somewhat uniquely weren't part of our HS football program for whatever reason. They are in most programs I've scanned so far though, so they must be pretty important for training and not just powerlifting. Not sure why we skipped those

It is supposed to be perhaps the best lift for overall strength. But they actually can be pretty complicated. Sumo vs traditional stance, overhand or mixed grip, and that’s before you get into how to avoid ripping your back to shreds. The hex bar is simple.

Reactions: ConvenientParking

Wendler's 5/3/1 or Starting Strength for basic lifting. I cited the books on the first page for reference. Lifting for beginners (or those who once did but aren't now) need to not overly complicate things. People tend to do too much accessory / isolation work. Squats, bench, deadlifts, overhead press, cleans (optional if >40 yrs old) and chinups - cut out the rest.

Losing weight while lifting can be done, but it sucks tremendously as you need to be in a caloric deficit throughout. Forget any volume work if you are looking to get stronger. Don't be too surprised if you get down to 225 and get stuck... your body will revolt.

Wendler's 5/3/1 or Starting Strength for basic lifting. I cited the books on the first page for reference. Lifting for beginners (or those who once did but aren't now) need to not overly complicate things. People tend to do too much accessory / isolation work. Squats, bench, deadlifts, overhead press, cleans (optional if >40 yrs old) and chinups - cut out the rest.

Losing weight while lifting can be done, but it sucks tremendously as you need to be in a caloric deficit throughout. Forget any volume work if you are looking to get stronger. Don't be too surprised if you get down to 225 and get stuck... your body will revolt.
Little update here. He fell short of the goal of 180 but got to about 175. Still pretty fast with a personal best 4.69 40 this summer, electronically timed. Lots of people asking him how much he benches now this week during the first 2 days of helmets only. He's right at about 300. Today was first practice with helmets and shoulder pads and even though he moved to linebacker from safety, things went a lot better for him than last year from a hitting/contact perspective. Thanks to all who threw in their two cents!

Little update here. He fell short of the goal of 180 but got to about 175. Still pretty fast with a personal best 4.69 40 this summer, electronically timed. Lots of people asking him how much he benches now this week during the first 2 days of helmets only. He's right at about 300. Today was first practice with helmets and shoulder pads and even though he moved to linebacker from safety, things went a lot better for him than last year from a hitting/contact perspective. Thanks to all who threw in their two cents!
Sweet. I bet he is itching to bench 315 so he can have 3 plates on that bar.

Today was first practice with helmets and shoulder pads and even though he moved to linebacker from safety, things went a lot better for him than last year from a hitting/contact perspective.
First game of the year tonight for our local HS teams. Same with your boy? How'd he do?

I know this is a weight lifting thread, but I am considering putting my rowing machine on the facebook marketplace. My work just bought a couple rowing machines for the gym, so now im considering just selling my rower I bought a few years ago. It’s just chilling in the garage right now. It’s so sexy though. I used to use it every day.

First game of the year tonight for our local HS teams. Same with your boy? How'd he do?
Still riding the pine on varsity. He’s going to need to prove himself in JV first. Hopefully Monday night he’ll have a good showing…

Still riding the pine on varsity. He’s going to need to prove himself in JV first. Hopefully Monday night he’ll have a good showing…
Good luck to him! Since mine is baseball, he’s in off-season mode now trying to pack on more pounds. Recently discovered adding olive oil to protein shakes due to caloric density. Funny how age works….he’s working his ass off and seeking out every good calorie he can find to gain weight and I can gain 10 pounds just by looking at the snack cabinet.

Good luck to him! Since mine is baseball, he’s in off-season mode now trying to pack on more pounds. Recently discovered adding olive oil to protein shakes due to caloric density. Funny how age works….he’s working his ass off and seeking out every good calorie he can find to gain weight and I can gain 10 pounds just by looking at the snack cabinet.
thanks. There are just a ton of talented kids. He’s pretty jacked, hits hard, ran an electronically timed 4.69 40, and benches 300. Being 175 and 5’8 to 5’9 he doesn’t look the part of linebacker though I guess. Like i said, needs to flash during the JV game and go from there. Maybe we will start to add oil to his stuff as well. Would love to get him to 185 to 190.

Oatmeal in his protein shakes, gritty but good

Reactions: hawkifann
JV game went great! Made several tackles including stripping the running back in the backfield causing a turnover. Won 14-7 so that was a good play. He was very happy and the capper for him as a kid telling him in the locker room that he has the body of a demigod.

JV game went great! Made several tackles including stripping the running back in the backfield causing a turnover. Won 14-7 so that was a good play. He was very happy and the capper for him as a kid telling him in the locker room that he has the body of a demigod.
I'm not sure I'd be happy about being hit on in the locker room.

• Haha
Reactions: hawkifann
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT