ADVERTISEMENT

Well this isn’t what Joes Place has been saying…..’COVID deaths overcounted’

Most hospitals across the country are in serious financial situations because of covid. They're still trying to climb out of the financial hole.

Increased LOS means less turnover, less patients. When the hospital is full, that means it's going to take longer for a bed to open up for an admitted patient who's still camping out in the ER. That means the ER has less beds to work with. Less patients, longer wait times.

Hospitals are not paid by the day. They're paid based on the diagnosis codes. An admission for respiratory failure with pneumonia is expected to discharge in x number of days and cost Y to care for so they will reimburse Z amount. If they are there longer than that, the hospital isn't making any more money.
The hospital is ‘full’ because there are no nurses and ancillary staff. Not because there are no beds. If they can afford to pay travelers they can afford to pay staff nurses. Problem is there are a number of jobs these days for nurses that don’t require adverse schedules. Weekends, holidays, nights etc that pay nearly as well. Let alone all the abuse that the nurses take from patients that now feel like they are a customer not a patient.

Being a nurse is hard and the nurses I know are constantly reassessing the current employment environment and choosing non hospital, or even, non clinic jobs. That is the problem along with constant attempts by Medicare to erode payments for physician services and facility fees.

Edit: right now, the percentage of COVID admissions locally is less than 5% of bed capacity. I know it is very similar where you are. So while, in the past, in Nov of 2020 and Nov-Feb 2021 for example, COVID was a huge problem, there have been many months that it hasn’t been and other factors are at play that aren’t DIRECTLY due to COVID.

Last edited:
No. Vaccine skepticism grew because of rightwing media pundits badmouthing it, while pushing useless medications like ivermectin and HCQ.

And MOST of those mainstream pundits were fully vaccinated, themselves.
It started by Joe and Kamala saying they wouldn’t get a vaccine that Trump promoted. Facts.

And Trump did promote it.

• Love
Reactions: DirtMcgirtODB
Point of the whole post is to show that what Joes Place has been pimping, and what others have said in the past taking issue with his opinion, have basically been echoed by a leading physician expert, who has talked to other leading physician experts.

Our local Holiday Inn Express ‘doc’ has been directly refuted. Naturally. Yet double down he does.

All he has to say is, ‘well maybe I could be mistaken…..these are good points…..I’ll defer to the scientists etc….” Nope.

Point of the whole post is to show that what Joes Place has been pimping, and what others have said in the past taking issue with his opinion, have basically been echoed by a leading physician expert, who has talked to other leading physician experts.

Our local Holiday Inn Express ‘doc’ has been directly refuted. Naturally. Yet double down he does.

All he has to say is, ‘well maybe I could be mistaken…..these are good points…..I’ll defer to the scientists etc….” Nope.
Buddy, you know he knows every ding. Do what I do. Make some popcorn, protect you and your family and enjoy da Sunday fundamentals. Best to you.

Reactions: Gus is dead
Buddy, you know he knows every ding. Do what I do. Make some popcorn, protect you and your family and enjoy da Sunday fundamentals. Best to you.
Amen. Watching some NFL then gonna catch the Hawks at Carver later. Hoping for an exciting if not dominant win! I could do without another OT though:)

Reactions: GOHOX69
The hospital is ‘full’ because there are no nurses and ancillary staff. Not because there are no beds. If they can afford to pay travelers they can afford to pay staff nurses. Problem is there are a number of jobs these days for nurses that don’t require adverse schedules. Weekends, holidays, nights etc that pay nearly as well. Let alone all the abuse that the nurses take from patients that now feel like they are a customer not a patient.

Being a nurse is hard and the nurses I know are constantly reassessing the current employment environment and choosing non hospital, or even, non clinic jobs. That is the problem along with constant attempts by Medicare to erode payments for physician services and facility fees.

Edit: right now, the percentage of COVID admissions locally is less than 5% of bed capacity. I know it is very similar where you are. So while, in the past, in Nov of 2020 and Nov-Feb 2021 for example, COVID was a huge problem, there have been many months that it hasn’t been and other factors are at play that aren’t DIRECTLY due to COVID.
All true. Nurses have been abused and under paid for years, especially in Iowa (who I think still is around #48 in the country in average pay). Covid was the final straw for many, and I don't blame them. But it's has caused us and must systems to have to shut beds down. Which hurts patients. Hopefully administrators will learn some things from this and fix them going forward. But I have my doubts. And we already know insurance companies won't ever do anything helpful. And I'd still rather work with Medicare than Aetna or UHC. Waiting for private insurance auth to send a patient to post acute causes delays in discharge, often several days if you hit the weekend.

All true. Nurses have been abused and under paid for years, especially in Iowa (who I think still is around #48 in the country in average pay). Covid was the final straw for many, and I don't blame them. But it's has caused us and must systems to have to shut beds down. Which hurts patients. Hopefully administrators will learn some things from this and fix them going forward. But I have my doubts. And we already know insurance companies won't ever do anything helpful. And I'd still rather work with Medicare than Aetna or UHC. Waiting for private insurance auth to send a patient to post acute causes delays in discharge, often several days if you hit the weekend.
Scientists have also been underpaid 😉

True. 4 years of bench work was enough for me. The last year (2010) I made $13/hour with no benefits, on a department of defense grant. I was really grateful I got in to med school. I really didn't want to have to get a Ph.D.
Good for you. I have taken the tact that if people don't appreciate scientists, we provide 0 clinical work product. Doctors can start giving patients elixirs again.

I work with numerous mds. They don't pay what we want. We cease work.

Good for you. I have taken the tact that if people don't appreciate scientists, we provide 0 clinical work product. Doctors can start giving patients elixirs again.

I work with numerous mds. They don't pay what we want. We cease work.

Hey, those essential oils and copper bands really are the miracle cures we refuse to tell patients about. But only if they buy the best crystals for their home.

If I quit, it will cost my MD owner, many of his own millions. He knows who butters his bread. Speaking of which, might be a good time to threaten to quit again ;)

If I quit, it will cost my MD owner, many of his own millions. He knows who butters his bread. Speaking of which, might be a good time to threaten to quit again ;)
Millions? Must not be an internist.

dca8bc4035b6a5e22d6ce12250d0564b914f315d.gif

• Haha
Oh, he is. He's raised a fair bit of cash over the years and put in his life savings.
It was way easier back in the day to do really well as a primary care doc, especially if you were seeing your patients in the hospital as well. But they also saw tons of people. I honestly think the development of the EMR and (mainly) documentation requirements have really cut down on productivity.

It was way easier back in the day to do really well as a primary care doc, especially if you were seeing your patients in the hospital as well. But they also saw tons of people. I honestly think the development of the EMR and (mainly) documentation requirements have really cut down on productivity.
Yes, he wants to get out of his clinical practice. I agree.

I think it is important to recognize the difference between the vaccine in Jan 21 vs today.

Delta was very deadly and Large numbers were seriously ill due to delta. The vaccine reduced the risk of death significantly with delta.

Fast forward to today. The dominant strains are not causing servere disease like delta did. the vaccine does not prevent infection, nor does it prevent spread. So we have to ask ourselves, what does the vaccine actually do.

Last time I looked, phizer and Moderna have not released their age stratified data so we would actually know who is is the most risk and who benefits the most from the vaccine. I still have no idea how they apply a broad vaccine recommendation when the risk of serious illness and death is so low for young people.
Overall death numbers didn't change much after we had the vaccine compared to before we had vaccine despite the fact that the most vulnerable died early.

We were told more than 6 months after the vaccines were released they would prevent infection and spread which turned out to be false. Now we are told they prevent serious illness and death, which can't be clinically proved, and there's statistical evidence to the contrary in other countries like Australia.

There's a reason why government has to go down this road, and it's public confidence. Booster testing shows that efficacy wanes within 8 weeks. 8 weeks.

No. They did not.

They raised doubts IF the recommendations of FDA and review bodies were over-ruled by the Executive Branch to "release a vaccine before election day".

That did not happen, but it was a viable concern.
However you want to interpret their comments, the majority of Americans interpreted their comments as raising doubts about vaccine efficacy. Political expediency at its finest. Mission accomplished.

Reactions: ICHerky
Right? People claiming "remdesivir doesn't work" and it not recommended by WHO, when you can go directly to WHO's and NIH's sites and see that it is still a medication listed as effective against the virus.

Total clowns here that deny facts....
WHO is funded by Bill Gates, big scientist

A couple comments. U.S hospitals raked in billions in supplemental payments if an inpatient tested positive for Covid so there’s clearly an incentive to diagnose it. Nothing additional if they died. In my experience, death certificates are frequently done in a haphazard fashion with no clear guidelines, leaving plenty of leeway when filling one out. It seems clear that Covid deaths were over reported, possibly substantially, and for those clamoring for more science, one has to ask why the science hasn’t been done? It wouldn’t be complicated to assess this. Pretty clear an investigator is risking repercussions in many institutions if he/she pursues this question.
Are you sure? Most hospital systems are in serious debt due to Covid. Where you getting your info?

Reactions: Joes Place
If you think Covid deaths are "overcounted", then what are the reasons for the high mortality rates in 2022 in the US?

Be specific.
1. People being afraid to go to the emergency room with real problems due to COVID fear
2. People not being able to get into their PCP and needing to do virtual visits
3. Nursing staffs being short and causing delays in the emergency rooms and clinics and that delay leads to worse outcomes in non COVID illnesses
4. People being seen and discharged from ED’s and urgent care due to what was presumed to be COVID based on symptoms. The tests for COVID taking hours to result later in the pandemic and days early on causing people to be discharged to home with presumed diagnosis. Yet they really had more serious bacterial illnesses that were missed due to cognitive anchoring.

Those good enough? Now do I have data to support this? No. I haven’t looked for it. But just off the cuff I’d surmise that these factors played a role and maybe a significant one.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Our local 25 bed hospital pulled in $4.5 million in PPP.
How much a given organization received via PPP is just one data point. Without other context there is no way to know how far those dollars stretched. What were there corresponding expenses? All organizations were obligated to maintain full employment for all staff for 8 weeks, etc.

Now then...yes, for those businesses that did not see a drop off, or even experienced an increase, in their business A LOT of money flowed to the bottom line. BUT...not every business had the same opportunity. For those businesses that had reductions in revenue/profit, all, or a great percentage, of the PPP funds were spent.

There are VERY disparate stories and experiences with PPP. It was purely a money grab for all.

Reactions: Gimmered
1. People being afraid to go to the emergency room with real problems due to COVID fear
2. People not being able to get into their PCP and needing to do virtual visits
3. Nursing staffs being short and causing delays in the emergency rooms and clinics and that delay leads to worse outcomes in non COVID illnesses
4. People being seen and discharged from ED’s and urgent care due to what was presumed to be COVID based on symptoms. The tests for COVID taking hours to result later in the pandemic and days early on causing people to be discharged to home with presumed diagnosis. Yet they really had more serious bacterial illnesses that were missed due to cognitive anchoring.

Those good enough? Now do I have data to support this? No. I haven’t looked for it. But just off the cuff I’d surmise that these factors played a role and maybe a significant one.
A big one that belongs on your list is the postponement of all kinds of elective surgeries for months. True...some of those did not result in deaths, but deferred medical care did impact MANY.

However you want to interpret their comments, the majority of Americans interpreted their comments as raising doubts about vaccine efficacy.
Good thing we have things like "math" and "statistics" to show them they're entirely wrong.

It's behind a paywall. I made assumptions based on your stellar other work.

I'm sure it's similar to every other time an article like this has been posted in the last 3 years
At this point, almost 3 years in, why does someone care if the death numbers have been over or underestimated? What point are they trying to make? Even if overestimated, are they trying to say millions of people didn't die as a result of covid?
Jorden-esque level pivot here.

7hD3.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT