ADVERTISEMENT

WH: Child transitioning is between the parents and their child.

Child transitioning is for...

• A parent and child to decide

Votes: 26 96.3%
  • A teacher and child to decide without the parent's knowledge

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters

FAUlty Gator

HR Legend
Oct 27, 2017
Disclaimer: I'm not trying to make anyone angry here. Just thought the two sides of the issue are at odds in the public policy arena. Some laws banning child transitioning altogether. And others making it OK to transition a child without a parent knowing.

KJP said the trans community was under attack, after being asked about Indiana blocking puberty blockers and such for the transitioning of children. Her exact statement was "That’s something for a child and their parents to decide, it’s not something we believe should be decided by legislators. So I’ll leave it there."

If that's the case, how could she or anyone who feels that way support a school keeping the transitioning of child from their parents? How do they square that circle? Does it need to be amended to "That's something for a child and their parents to decide...unless some teacher wants to transition them secretly without the parent knowing, then eff the parents, it's up to someone not related to the child that's not even a medical professional to decide." Doesn't have the same ring though.

Some literature.

• Haha
Reactions: Bro D
I don't think I have ever heard of the school keeping actual transitioning from the parents. Like, the medical part of it. I have heard that the school shouldn't be the entity that "outs" the child. That is very different from taking the lead in helping a child actually transition. How would a child transition without a parent noticing? I have to think that even a pretty crappy parent would notice if their child was suddenly presenting as a different gender.

And no, teachers should not be helping their students transition in any sort of medical way. I do believe there needs to be some way for kids with parents who are not safe with this info to be able to get help. With actual certified therapists and doctors. But no, schools should not be taking the lead in this, nor do I believe they actually are.

I don't think I have ever heard of the school keeping actual transitioning from the parents. Like, the medical part of it. I have heard that the school shouldn't be the entity that "outs" the child. That is very different from taking the lead in helping a child actually transition. How would a child transition without a parent noticing? I have to think that even a pretty crappy parent would notice if their child was suddenly presenting as a different gender.

And no, teachers should not be helping their students transition in any sort of medical way. I do believe there needs to be some way for kids with parents who are not safe with this info to be able to get help. With actual certified therapists and doctors. But no, schools should not be taking the lead in this, nor do I believe they actually are.
At least 168 districts governing 5,904 schools nationwide have rules on the books that prevent faculty and staff from disclosing to parents a student’s gender status without that student’s permission, according to a list compiled by the conservative group Parents Defending Education

• Wow
Reactions: KFsdisciple
Children are not put on medications without parental consent. They will, however, request to be called by a different name or to use a different set of pronouns. Those are not the same thing.

In Illinois, a child may not officially change their name and pronouns without parental consent. Many students will request to be called something different and most teachers will abide by that (or at a minimum follow the recommendations/directions from their administrator(s)), but their records in the computer will continue to use their given name unless the paperwork has been signed and turned in.

Children are not put on medications without parental consent. They will, however, request to be called by a different name or to use a different set of pronouns. Those are not the same thing.

In Illinois, a child may not officially change their name and pronouns without parental consent. Many students will request to be called something different and most teachers will abide by that (or at a minimum follow the recommendations/directions from their administrator(s)), but their records in the computer will continue to use their given name unless the paperwork has been signed and turned in.
That is not the same thing as helping a child transition.
Then what would you call putting chest binders on them to hide their boobs to make them look like boys? "NOT helping them transition"?

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — A Maine woman is suing a school district whose counselor encouraged her teen’s social gender transition, providing a chest binder and using a new name and pronouns, without consulting parents.

It’s the latest lawsuit to pit a parent’s right to supervise their children’s health and education against a minor’s right to privacy when confiding in a mental health professional. A similar lawsuit filed in California was working its way through the courts earlier this year. In Massachusetts, parents are suing a middle school for not telling them their two pre-teens were using different names and pronouns.

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole
What, you think teacher's are running some black market transitioning drug business out of their classrooms? I mean, teacher pay sucks but that would be pretty extreme.
You're good with them putting chest binders on your daughter without you knowing about it? That's really what's at the heart of the question.

Then what would you call putting chest binders on them to hide their boobs to make them look like boys? "NOT helping them transition"?

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — A Maine woman is suing a school district whose counselor encouraged her teen’s social gender transition, providing a chest binder and using a new name and pronouns, without consulting parents.

It’s the latest lawsuit to pit a parent’s right to supervise their children’s health and education against a minor’s right to privacy when confiding in a mental health professional. A similar lawsuit filed in California was working its way through the courts earlier this year. In Massachusetts, parents are suing a middle school for not telling them their two pre-teens were using different names and pronouns.
Probably crossing the line, but none of that is permanent or providing medications. Without more information it is impossible to say much about it. Maybe the student was severely depressed due to their struggles with gender identity. Maybe the counselor was using it to help the student work his way through the issues. Who knows?

Ultimately, this is an anecdotal story though and can't be used to determine trends nationwide. If one instance dictated the trend then we all would have had the chance to bang one of our teachers.

I guess I should have framed the question better but wanted to include the WH's quote. I guess the best question would be, "who do you support in these lawsuits? The parents or the Schools?"

I would not consider a chest binder to be a medical procedure. If the child changes their mind they take off the binder. My honest response would be to wonder why my child didn't feel safe in telling me how they were feeling.

The trickiest ones my no pic middle school teacher wife has are the ones that decide to go by a new gender/name partway through the school year. So the student has been Collin for months of the year and then suddenly wants to be Corinne. Or vice versa. It is very tricky for everyone to remember. She had one parent who emailed that she better call her the correct pronoun and name at all times or she would come be in for a meeting with the principal. So she was very careful to do so and tried to help the other kids remember. Then at conferences the parents came for them (rare) and the dad messed up the name multiple times and the mom a couple.

Reactions: Hawk_82
The trickiest ones my no pic middle school teacher wife has are the ones that decide to go by a new gender/name partway through the school year. So the student has been Collin for months of the year and then suddenly wants to be Corinne. Or vice versa. It is very tricky for everyone to remember. She had one parent who emailed that she better call her the correct pronoun and name at all times or she would come be in for a meeting with the principal. So she was very careful to do so and tried to help the other kids remember. Then at conferences the parents came for them (rare) and the dad messed up the name multiple times and the mom a couple.
I had a student who wanted to be called a boy's name, which I did because I want kids to complete their work, I don't really care what name they want to be called. Whatever makes them the most comfortable.

Anyway, around parent-teacher conferences I got an email from the parent who could not make conferences that day. She was very adamant about using this student's given name and given pronouns. Now, it's tough to read connotations in an email, but I felt like there wasn't agreement between the parent and the student on this issue. Thankfully, I did not have to meet the parent in person. For what it's worth, I used the gender pronouns the parent was using in the email in my response. It is not my place to involve myself in that debate with the family. Plus, it's possible the parent wasn't aware, although given how open the student is about it I find that hard to believe.

Jesus OP, you’re obsessed with this topic.
I am? Weird. Here’s my “threads started page”. Don’t see any on this topic. A whopping ZERO POSTS on the topic in the first 4 pages dating back to February. Do you not know what the word “obsessed” means?

I mean…You gave it a whole “Jesus” too, as if you are overwhelmed by my threads on the topic. Are you not feeling well? Because as I mentioned already, I’ve posted ZERO on this topic with which you believe me to be OBSESSED. Lol.

But don’t worry…apparently I’m also obsessed with AOC. No, I mean San Fran. No wait…I’m obsessed with MSNBC. Wait…I’m obsessed with MTG. No, Chicago! Hold on…I’m obsessed with false equivalencies. No…both sidesing it. Obsessed with the NBA! Wait…obsessed with gambling. No! Fruit tourney obsession!

We have an obsession with my faux obsessions around here.

I am? Weird. Here’s my “threads started page”. Don’t see any on this topic. A whopping ZERO POSTS on the topic in the first 4 pages dating back to February. Do you not know what the word “obsessed” means?

I mean…You gave it a whole “Jesus” too, as if you are overwhelmed by my threads on the topic. Are you not feeling well? Because as I mentioned already, I’ve posted ZERO on this topic with which you believe me to be OBSESSED. Lol.

But don’t worry…apparently I’m also obsessed with AOC. No, I mean San Fran. No wait…I’m obsessed with MSNBC. Wait…I’m obsessed with MTG. No, Chicago! Hold on…I’m obsessed with false equivalencies. No…both sidesing it. Obsessed with the NBA! Wait…obsessed with gambling. No! Fruit tourney obsession!

You could’ve just posted a laugh emoji instead of all that!

• Haha
Reactions: FAUlty Gator

What's amusing about this rant is that getting called out about AOC for months got you to move on to other topics. It's quite clear you're aware of your reputation and react to it.

I had a student who wanted to be called a boy's name, which I did because I want kids to complete their work, I don't really care what name they want to be called. Whatever makes them the most comfortable.

Anyway, around parent-teacher conferences I got an email from the parent who could not make conferences that day. She was very adamant about using this student's given name and given pronouns. Now, it's tough to read connotations in an email, but I felt like there wasn't agreement between the parent and the student on this issue. Thankfully, I did not have to meet the parent in person. For what it's worth, I used the gender pronouns the parent was using in the email in my response. It is not my place to involve myself in that debate with the family. Plus, it's possible the parent wasn't aware, although given how open the student is about it I find that hard to believe.
It sounds like you threaded that needle pretty well.

It’s all Republican bullshit to distract us from the fact that they do nothing to help the American people.

You’re an idiot.

You're good with them putting chest binders on your daughter without you knowing about it? That's really what's at the heart of the question.
So, it's wrong for schools to interfere with the parent's to prevent transition? How do you feel about the retired farmers making laws in the State legislator interfering with parental rights for affirming care?

I would presume any home that has a kid who is "gender confused" and afraid to talk to their parents about it, and more comfortable disclosing that to a school counselor or teacher, probably is not living in a very healthy environment in that home...

So, it's wrong for schools to interfere with the parent's to prevent transition? How do you feel about the retired farmers making laws in the State legislator interfering with parental rights for affirming care?
No. Not at all. I agree it should be between the parent and the child and the doctor, regardless of their decision. I do not agree with keeping the parents out of the loop when it comes to the transition though.

What's amusing about this rant is that getting called out about AOC for months got you to move on to other topics. It's quite clear you're aware of your reputation and react to it.
It's quite clear, as with this new "obsession" that doesn't exist that you like to make shit up.

Ok. Just Mr. Uniformed. Loved your FDA chopped article today. You make it too obvious. How many threads did you start today? I thought you were a teacher.
I made 6 where three were the same on the NBA. First one was at 1:48 and hour after I was done working and sitting in a waiting room.

Now, explain to me my "FDA chopped article". Seriously. Show us all again how goddamned stupid you are. Do it.

Explain to us how the article I linked FROM THE FDA WEBSITE was "Chopped" by me after I cut and pasted the EXACT bullet points from the FDA site.

Here. I'll link it again for you. Then come back and tell us all who is intentionally uninformed, you shitwit. Did "fda.gov" confuse you or something? You even put a laughing emoji on the post. How awesome.

• Angry
Reactions: Ehhhdolph
I made 6 where three were the same on the NBA. First one was at 1:48 and hour after I was done working and sitting in a waiting room.

Now, explain to me my "FDA chopped article". Seriously. Show us all again how goddamned stupid you are. Do it.

Explain to us how the article I linked FROM THE FDA WEBSITE was "Chopped" by me after I cut and pasted the EXACT bullet points from the FDA site.

Here. I'll link it again for you. Then come back and tell us all who is intentionally uninformed, you shitwit. Did "fda.gov" confuse you or something? You even put a laughing emoji on the post. How awesome.

Haha. Shut it. You are hilarious.

• Sad
Reactions: Ehhhdolph
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT