ADVERTISEMENT

What a win! Game thoughts...

Seton Hall was a tough match up for Payton, as he tends to get most of his opportunities in space,.. Tight floor last night,.. Good practice for future opponents like Badgers & Spartans.
This. It’s all about matchups. There will be teams that Payton matches up well against and we have an answer for teams like Seton Hall.

Reactions: perryhawk
This. It’s all about matchups. There will be teams that Payton matches up well against and we have an answer for teams like Seton Hall.
I feel like we will see this with Payton all year. Love his style and how fearless he is but we are going to go through games where he isn’t making shots and other games where he is on fire. I think his biggest obstacle as a shooter will be consistency. Hopefully it comes sooner rather than later

Reactions: BustingNarratives
I feel like we will see this with Payton all year. Love his style and how fearless he is but we are going to go through games where he isn’t making shots and other games where he is on fire. I think his biggest obstacle as a shooter will be consistency. Hopefully it comes sooner rather than later
I agree partially. Of course there will be games he is hot and games he’s not. I think Payton can do other things like rebound and get tip ins (his 2 FTs were from crashing a board and getting fouled against Seton Hall). He’s not as 1 demential as a JBo in my opinion.

I agree partially. Of course there will be games he is hot and games he’s not. I think Payton can do other things like rebound and get tip ins (his 2 FTs were from crashing a board and getting fouled against Seton Hall). He’s not as 1 demential as a JBo in my opinion.
I cannot spell on my phone haha.

Playing this many minutes will not work when we play a couple (or more) games in a short span. We really had no one to spell Kris and Filip - as we all knew to start the year.
I was disappointed in Payton. You can have an off shooting night, but he also had no FTs, no rebounds, and no steals. In the past he got a few boards along the way.
Payton did have 2 FT's but yes, overall didn't contribute much.

As others have mentioned, Iowa has 5 days off before this game and than have 5 days off before next game ... so Fran could afford to have a tight rotation. Yes, they will need to expand that rotation when the games are in tighter timeframes and I'm sure that means Bowen and Dix will log more than 3 and 1 minutes and Josh O and/or Mulvey will play 5-8 minutes if only to give the big guys rest.

Reactions: TheWatcherZKC
Edit: I will have to say seeing the guys shoot MANY FTs at a 85% clip feels good as well!
Once Iowa got into the double-bonus in the 2nd half, the game was over. We would bring the ball down, spread the court. Drive, drive, drive and kick out to open shooters. Worked like a charm as SH kept fouling and sending us to the line. Have not seen an Iowa team in awhile that could drive the ball like that. This is winning basketball. That wasn't Jordan Bohannon's strength so we didn't see it as much the last 5 years but when you have the guards who can drive it that makes you really tough to guard. Fun to watch.

Phil Parker just endorsed this new thing called "defense" by the hoopsters ...

122921_CitrusBowlPresser_JRGS009-900x600.jpg

Reactions: Bishop1971
With the current media timeout allotments, 16, 12, 8 & 4, there are ways to shorten your bench and still play with pace. Still not sure whether the B1G will institute the added media timeout. They would be at 17, 14, 11, 8 & 5 minute mark. If they do, plenty of time to be creative on your rotations. It is an option for each conference to institute if needed. It was a rule change that passed along with the flop technical.

I did like Fran's end of game lineup @ Seton Hall. Ulis, Perkins, CMac, Kris & Rebraca. It is not only our best ball handling lineup, it may be the best defensive lineup as well. Enough offense to move the needle and convert at the line as well.

Solid road win that come tournament time, could be a Quad 1 win.

Injuries are the only thing that should force a deep bench. I am convinced you win more with the best players on the floor. I'd roll out Filip, Kris, Patrick, Tony and Ahron-who appears to be improving every game. C Mac, Dasonte and Peyton would be the only guys that played quality minutes. Ogs/Riley could see some time against the giants in the Big Ten. I would play Dix very light minutes and everyone else in blow outs and emergencies.

Peyton would play every minute Kris or Patrick are not on the floor. Get Dasonte a couple of minutes a half and plug C Mac into whatever problem areas the Hawks were showing. If he plays the whole season like the first three games we're going to finally be sad to see him go.

The game was a pick-em or 1-point either way by Vegas. Iowa trailed by 7 about 4 minutes in and ended up winning by 16. Seton Hall is not terrible, they are decent to good. Iowa was not going to blow the doors off that team at their place. Yes, Iowa had a stretch where they couldn't make shots. That is basketball. The good news Iowa kept Seton Hall from scoring too. The 3's never did go in (5-16) and Iowa still found a way to be efficient by making 28-33 free throws and protecting the ball while turning Seton Hall over a bunch. That is good basketball, finding a way to get it done when the shots don't go in.

Sandfordt will be fine. He's finding out it's much different when you are a starter and the opponent has you on the scouting report. He had zero pressure last year, could just come in and bombs away. If they didn't go in, no big deal he wasn't going to play a lot of minutes anyway. He is a good player, he'll adjust and have big games.

Close out high and hard on Sandfort, make him put the ball on the floor. They played him really well.

Injuries are the only thing that should force a deep bench. I am convinced you win more with the best players on the floor. I'd roll out Filip, Kris, Patrick, Tony and Ahron-who appears to be improving every game. C Mac, Dasonte and Peyton would be the only guys that played quality minutes. Ogs/Riley could see some time against the giants in the Big Ten. I would play Dix very light minutes and everyone else in blow outs and emergencies.

Peyton would play every minute Kris or Patrick are not on the floor. Get Dasonte a couple of minutes a half and plug C Mac into whatever problem areas the Hawks were showing. If he plays the whole season like the first three games we're going to finally be sad to see him go.

This is exactly what i would do. We gotta keep filip healthy and foul free. Ogundy is nice to have for Purdue. Dasonte will have matchups in many games, get him what you can. He is a little raw.

AU might turn a corner. Loved to see some shots going in for him. He gets to foul line a lot too.

Reactions: AlvySinger
Kris Murray "got it" last year. His stats last year were outstanding on a per minute basis--2nd only to Keegan, but he was constrained by Playing time/rotation strategy.

This is pretty good Iowa team and they gotta play this type of hard nosed defense if they want to win more than 1 game in NCAA tourney.

Rebracca looks to have made a big step forward in his defense and rebounding. Kris Murray is a star and Perkins is 2nd best player and close to All big level. CMAC if he hits the open "3" becomes somewhat similar to the role Gasser played on the great Wisconsin team that finished 2nd in the nation. Bowen may develop, PMAC is pretty good offensively and looks to be putting in more effort on defense. Ulis is a good defender and Sandfort is potentially a great scorer/shooter, though he didn't show much vs Seton hall.
Agreed on Rebraca. He is not going to have 4 blocks every game, nor is he going to get double digit points. But just overall presence and willingness to scrap and compete inside is what this team needs desperately. If he can be even close to what he was against Seton Hall semi-consistently, that makes Iowa a lot better.

This is exactly what i would do. We gotta keep filip healthy and foul free. Ogundy is nice to have for Purdue. Dasonte will have matchups in many games, get him what you can. He is a little raw.

AU might turn a corner. Loved to see some shots going in for him. He gets to foul line a lot too.
Seton Hall's defensive plan was not all that smart. Crowding Ulis and Perkins everywhere when both of them are questionable outside shooters was dumb. You have to back off both of them a bit. Inviting them to drive by crowding them is not a smart play, end up fouling and giving up easy points.

I thought SH might double Murray if he got the ball in the post, but no. He got the ball wherever he wanted for the most part. They also didn't seem to believe that he could make 3's. Also dumb.

I get it, Seton Hall's attitude is they are going to challenge everyone, everywhere on the court. But that is just not all that great a plan when the opponent has guys who are skilled and can attack the rim. It will work against some teams they can just physically overwhelm.

Really like it when Ulis, and Tony play together. They handle the ball well, shoot free throws well, stop penetration, and can actually put pressure on the ball, in one on one situations. I like Ulis playing point, and when he comes out get Bowen his experience. I like Conner playing this year, as long as he can continue to hit some three's. I like he and Patrick splitting time at the three.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT