ADVERTISEMENT

What are some cool hats for sun protection?

bachelor_party_condom_hat-1.jpg

I have worn a Tilley for decades
Don't get one with the mesh vent around the top. I had one (not Tilley) and burnt the bejesus out of the top of my head. Lotta sun gets through that mesh.

Don't get one with the mesh vent around the top. I had one (not Tilley) and burnt the bejesus out of the top of my head. Lotta sun gets through that mesh.
I have had the Tilley Airflo LTM6 for about 10 years. Fantastic hat and I’ve sold a half dozen of my golf buddies on them. Wears like iron and it’s been in the washer ~50 times. It’s got the wide brim and it has a small band (1/2 inch) of mesh. No way any measurable amount of UV gets through that mesh, and it’s on the sides where hair would protect anyway. The mesh makes it much more comfortable in the Summer. Also, consider getting one of the lighter colors of either natural or khaki to reflect the Sun.

Go to a Cabela’s or Bass to get fitted before you order as they need to be perfectly sized to stay on in the wind. Don’t get it too tight though. It won’t be comfortable. They are expensive, but well worth it.

I have had the Tilley Airflo LTM6 for about 10 years. Fantastic hat and I’ve sold a half dozen of my golf buddies on them. Wears like iron and it’s been in the washer ~50 times. It’s got the wide brim and it has a small band (1/2 inch) of mesh. No way any measurable amount of UV gets through that mesh, and it’s on the sides where hair would protect anyway. The mesh makes it much more comfortable in the Summer. Also, consider getting one of the lighter colors of either natural or khaki to reflect the Sun.

Go to a Cabela’s or Bass to get fitted before you order as they need to be perfectly sized to stay on in the wind. Don’t get it too tight though. It won’t be comfortable. They are expensive, but well worth it.
As you basically allude to, my version can get pretty warm at times. Definitely go with a lighter color. Don’t forget to stash some “running money” in the sleeve under the lid. It has come in handy a few times over the years.

Reactions: FormerlyCyberCy
They've had sunscreen spray/mist designed specifically for your scalp for years. Even with a full head of hair I've used it for decades when out on the boat - think I first found out about it on an old Windjammer sailing cruise

They've had sunscreen spray/mist designed specifically for your scalp for years. Even with a full head of hair I've used it for decades when out on the boat - think I first found out about it on an old Windjammer sailing cruise

Always always always sunscreen the shit out of your nose and ears.

You get skin cancer in those cartilaginous area tissues, and they remove them entirely to "cure" you.

Good suggestions, thanks all!

I generally wear a floppy hat out hiking or fishing or in the yard. Realized a few years back I needed more protection on my neck and ears.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT