ADVERTISEMENT

What do we have here?

Well..... 2 things to start. Michigan has a really good team and they couldn't miss from anywhere. Minnesota has a really bad team and they couldn't hit any shots from outside. We have some really good pieces, Garza, Wieskamp & Fredrick are all really good. Connor is solid and JBo is hurtin'. I don't think Toussaint is quite ready for primetime but he sure is fun. I think we will end up close but no cigar this year with maybe 18-19 wins overall.

If we split the next 2 games, and win all the games we should in B1G play (and lose the 50/50 games that are on the road), we should end up 17-13 or even 18-12. Bubble team that will need at least 1 win in the Big 10 Tourney to be on the right side of the bubble.

The "team" is really Garza, Wieskamp, CJ, Connor and Toussaint assuming Jbo shuts it down with a small order of Kriener on the side. To say Pemsl and Evelyn are non-factors offensively would be an understatement. Connor is going to have to what he did tonight and that is look for his shot more.

Got to CHA early and watched shoot around. Evelyn and Joe T were hitting some 3's, but Joe T is more or less throwing the ball at the basket vs. shooting it. Evelyn has a decent stroke. A bit flat like Connor's but he knocked down a few....enough to think he would look to shoot occasionally during games.

I actually wished we had Maishe on the roster given all the injuries as he would occasionally hit a couple shots. Fran has to figure out a way to get Evelyn back to the dude that was Valpo's second leading scorer and shot 45% from 3. The lineup of Pemsl, Evelyn, Touissant, Kriener is extremely challenged offensively.

I just like that Fran has been forced to keep the rotation tight this year. Slows the game down a bit and allows guys to get into a flow.

I still don’t know what to think of the team though. Only catch Ohio State and Michigan State once so we really need to take advantage when we play other middle tier teams like Rutgers and Illinois.

I said at the beginning of the season that if we could go 4-3 during this 7 game stretch, they’d be right there on the bubble. We’re at 3-2 so far.

Well..... 2 things to start. Michigan has a really good team and they couldn't miss from anywhere. Minnesota has a really bad team and they couldn't hit any shots from outside. We have some really good pieces, Garza, Wieskamp & Fredrick are all really good. Connor is solid and JBo is hurtin'. I don't think Toussaint is quite ready for primetime but he sure is fun. I think we will end up close but no cigar this year with maybe 18-19 wins overall.

If they get to 19 wins, they are getting in.

The "team" is really Garza, Wieskamp, CJ, Connor and Toussaint assuming Jbo shuts it down with a small order of Kriener on the side. To say Pemsl and Evelyn are non-factors offensively would be an understatement. Connor is going to have to what he did tonight and that is look for his shot more.

Got to CHA early and watched shoot around. Evelyn and Joe T were hitting some 3's, but Joe T is more or less throwing the ball at the basket vs. shooting it. Evelyn has a decent stroke. A bit flat like Connor's but he knocked down a few....enough to think he would look to shoot occasionally during games.

I actually wished we had Maishe on the roster given all the injuries as he would occasionally hit a couple shots. Fran has to figure out a way to get Evelyn back to the dude that was Valpo's second leading scorer and shot 45% from 3. The lineup of Pemsl, Evelyn, Touissant, Kriener is extremely challenged offensively.

The “core 5” observation is right. We need Garza and Joe to play like All Big 10 players, Connor and CJ need to be high end two-way players, and Toussiant and Kriener need to play to their strengths and play within themselves. Evelyn and Pemsl just need to play hard on defense, eat minutes, and be low-mistake guys.

It’s a little frustrating to see Pemsl not even looking for a shot. At least taking a couple open free throw line jumpers would be nice. He’s got a decent looking stroke

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
It’s a little frustrating to see Pemsl not even looking for a shot. At least taking a couple open free throw line jumpers would be nice. He’s got a decent looking stroke

Pemsl shooting from FT line is a long-2 shot and not ideal from efficiency point of view. I'd have Fredrick, JoeW, Connor, or Garza take that shot before Pemsl.

Riley Till is probably a better athlete than Pemsl and more skills. He got some PT vs Syracuse and I wouldn't mind seeing him out there vs what Pemsl has shown recently.

Agree. He was shooting mid-range shots in pre-game and at half and was knocking them down with consistency. Good form, rotation, etc. The 2-3 pump fake crap when he is wide open under the basket has to stop. His best chance is to go up with it when he is open otherwise he will get blocked for sure if not fouled.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
This season totally depends on how we stack up against teams like purdue, Wisconsin, and Indiana. There are 5 sure losses on our schedule, but this season could be 8 losses or 13.

Just Win all the Home games, (with the help of a loud, supporting Hawkeye crowd) and pick-up some road Wins, too. That would put
Iowa into the BigDance, once again. :)

That means Hawkeye students need to put down their InstaChats and spend a couple hours at CarverHawkeye Arena.

It's college basketball ...

giphy.gif

Right, not saying that will be easy but if can beat Iowa St and Cincy, going 9-9 in Big Ten for rest of Big Ten gets them 19 going into Big Ten Tourney. That would include wins over TT and Cincy on neutral court and Syracuse and Iowa State on the road.
There would be no bubble in this scenario. Hawks would be in tournament.

Reactions: owenhawk
From what I can tell so far, the B1G seems solid 1 through 5.

Then a serious drop off that Iowa can take advantage of.

We have no losses that will come back to bite us, so far. DePaul and SDSU are solid. No great wins, but Syracuse will be Schizicuse eventually and sneak into Quad 1 inexplicably. Texas Tech will come around. Iowa State is ****ing Iowa State, what can you do, probably quad 2 ceiling.

I'm encouraged by how we took care of Minny and didn't lose by 40 @ Michigan. Sneak in a few wins against that top 5 and insta-resume builder, more than last year, potentially.

Last year we benefited by 2 early wins against teams that were overrated at the time, then Oregon came around. But that initial bump into being ranked solidified being on the right side of the bubble.

I don't see the team at this point any worse than last years because of how Garza has stepped up, and the addition of CJ / Toussaint.

What kind of team we have honestly just comes down to effort on D and staying injury free. The pieces to win are there.

Last edited:
Where is the Pemsl from the isu game last year :mad:

He looks like a shell of what he used to be, which wasn't very athletic to begin with.

I don't know if it's the back now (my guess), a combination of everything or if hes just afraid of getting hurt again.

Whatever it is he looks like an old man out there right now.

Reactions: NI hawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT