ADVERTISEMENT

What do we know about Soldier Salute?

How about an Iowa HS wrestler who enters on their own, for example under Sebolt’s club, not as a wrestler from a HS team?
Do they also wrestle for an Iowa high school team? (This isn’t rocket surgery. Lol) Chittum isn’t in high school and not wrestling for a high school team.

How about an Iowa HS wrestler who enters on their own, for example under Sebolt’s club, not as a wrestler from a HS team?
I know in Illinois an athlete is deemed ineligible if they compete against college athletes in any capacity, except at national events sanctioned by the NGB and I would guess it is the same in Iowa.

We almost ran into this first hand as my son helped out a college club team at a small tournament as they were missing players. In the middle of the first game his high school coach walked in and asked what we were doing there (his son was on the team my son was helping out). I pointed out our son and he informed us what was at risk and then laughed because it was such a small event it would go unnoticed and even if someone was there no one would "turn him in" given what the event was.

That said, something like Soldier Salute or Midlands that have huge fields and are televised would certainly get an athlete banned.

Reactions: bluroptimo
Do they also wrestle for an Iowa high school team? (This isn’t rocket surgery. Lol) Chittum isn’t in high school and not wrestling for a high school team.
I’m not asking about Chittum. I was asking about any Iowa HS wrestler. Rocket surgery?

Here’s another, in HS if you wrestle in Iowa you can’t compete against states that don’t border Iowa, so what happens if SE Polk meets up with Ponderosa, CO in the Cheesehead finals?

I’m not asking about Chittum. I was asking about any Iowa HS wrestler. Rocket surgery?

Here’s another, in HS if you wrestle in Iowa you can’t compete against states that don’t border Iowa, so what happens if SE Polk meets up with Ponderosa, CO in the Cheesehead finals?
I’m just messing witchoo.

Maybe matters where event is held. Are they wrestling in a state that borders Iowa? That would make sense to me as a criteria.

I’m just messing witchoo.

Maybe matters where event is held. Are they wrestling in a state that borders Iowa? That would make sense to me as a criteria.
Cheesehead is WI. By your logic if a state we border allows non-bordering competition and we go to that state we play by their rules and Polk v Ponderosa, CO is fine. Makes sense to me.

I think rocket surgery was invented around the time the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor. Inspiring times.

Reactions: 12tdsaw
Cheesehead is WI. By your logic if a state we border allows non-bordering competition and we go to that state we play by their rules and Polk v Ponderosa, CO is fine. Makes sense to me.

I think rocket surgery was invented around the time the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor. Inspiring times.
Ha! I’m really not sure about that detail. It might be different having a tourney on the schedule rather than a dual with specific team not in competition area? (I’ve been expecting the cesspool rules and regs committee to chime in by now.)

I currently work with a rocket scientist at a social service agency. I’ve been introducing him as a rocket surgeon and he has a sense of humor, so it’s been fun watching coworkers reactions.

Anyone know what tickets are going for? Gotta pay for parking etc? Just curious how much they’re pushing the limits this first year…

Check your emails. I think that you can get 1/2 off if you have season tickets.

Reactions: Gobblin
Just bought my ticket. Can confirm the 1/2 off promo works. $28 total for both days and a parking pass. Promo is only for both days, though. No discount for a 1 day ticket.
Oh I can’t go I was just curious…. And I did find it sifting through my 617 unread emails. Lol

Flow compared the tournament entries as far as ranked competitors is concerned.
Looks like Kennedy will have a decent chance to move up the rankings with some wins over higher ranked opponents. Too bad Siebrecht isn't there.

Reactions: TarpHawk and el dub
Looks like Kennedy will have a decent chance to move up the rankings with some wins over higher ranked opponents. Too bad Siebrecht isn't there.

Flo's list isn't accurate. Neither Cook or Yant are registered.

Basically none of the SDSU or UNI guys mentioned in this article show up on Track as participating.

I hope this field gets stronger in the years to come. Right now I can say I’m pretty disappointed we’re not at midlands. I’m not sure we’re going to see many competitive matches here. Midlands historically was used as the final lineup decider, this years version of the soldier salute is little more than a two day Hawkeye practice.

You can compete against a team from a state that does not border Iowa. It's a travel rule that restricts it to a boarder state.

Reactions: bluroptimo and moug
Check your emails. I think that you can get 1/2 off if you have season tickets.
I got robbed. Oh well, I want to support this, although I will miss my Midlands trips and all the highway adventures coming home from there.
I've got to get ahold of the ticket office and find out what's up with me not getting emails from them like I should.

Last edited:
I got robbed. Oh well, I want to support this, although I will miss my Midlands trips and all the Highway adventures coming home from there.
I've got to get ahold of the ticket office and find out what's up with me not getting emails from them like I should.
If you notify the ticket office that you're a season ticket holder and missed their email, I bet they could help you get credit for the difference between the discounted rate for season ticket holders and whatever you paid.

This tourney will be one of the best opens out there in a few years. All those who want a piece of Iowa……here we are….come wrestle us.

This tourney will be one of the best opens out there in a few years. All those who want a piece of Iowa……here we are….come wrestle us.
Zero basis to make that claim. It stinks and trying to get others to attend this crappy tourney instead of being the apex predator and going to tourneys where theres actual competition is dumb.

Zero basis to make that claim. It stinks and trying to get others to attend this crappy tourney instead of being the apex predator and going to tourneys where theres actual competition is dumb.

If Iowa is truly the Mecca of College Wrestling then Iowa should have a strong open tournament to go with it. Agree it isn’t a great tourney this year but it is a start—hopefully the start of something big.

If Iowa is truly the Mecca of College Wrestling then Iowa should have a strong open tournament to go with it. Agree it isn’t a great tourney this year but it is a start—hopefully the start of something big.
I’m predicting that it turns into a major women’s wrestling event as the sport grows.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT