ADVERTISEMENT

What do you think your home state’s “signature” food item is?

for we iowans yes, but nobody literally knows what the heck that sandwich is in other states. well, I've seen them on the menu in KS but I tried one and thought it sucked. heard rumors of them being in indiana. I try to explain them to people here in TX and they know not what it is. about 10-15 yrs ago this young couple from des moines area opens a food truck here in austin tx with tenderloins. the locals thought it was supposed to chicken fried steak, so they would throw the bun away and go across the street to the chicken place and get gravy and put on there.
The best way to describe it is schnitzel on a bun.

Reactions: artradley
For Iowa I’d say sweet corn, tenderloin, cheeseburger, Iowa bone in pork chop, or steak - sirloin, ribeye, or strip. Damn, I’m hungry now.

Reactions: BrianNole777
Pepperoni Rolls
pa or wv?

Actually, pa is really difficult because the three regions will all lay claim to something.

In Philly, it could be cheese steaks, soft pretzels, or tasty kakes.
Out west, it's that STUPID tradition of putting french fries on/into salads and sandwiches.
In the center, I'd have to go with Shoo Fly Pie or Scrapple, each of which is disgusting. Or Hershey bars, which are not chocolate as we know it.

California should be TriTip
AP1GczOYpRoTvUnUxbzUssbxpe6036kUFvw0a8jAAx5v_4JIBJKYIt0RuAIXACJnhTixnAZl5hF6DxyGoPh_m70-p8eW8a3nAIHsdQXrmmRN8yMIeEct6SKsIHNREhvgJyTOPdVeQOubVZGXMHhCDr7JAEFSmg=w649-h865-s-no-gm

My picks are based on people who visit from another state and request what they want
Georgia - soul food, specifically Chicken and Waffles
Florida- Seafood-Fresh flounder or grouper

Reactions: OutbackBowl2017
The My picks are based on people who visit from another state and request what they want
Georgia - soul food, specifically Chicken and Waffles
Florida- Seafood-Fresh flounder or grouper

Ah, Chicken and Waffles. The “Southern Black Soul Food Dish” that was originally a white German immigrant dish in Central Pennsylvania for hundreds of years and then converted from fricassed to fried chicken in Harlem and LA for another forty years before it finally made its way south in the late 70s and early 80s. It’s up there with fried green tomatoes and pimento cheese sandwiches as the most fake Southern recipe.

• Sad
Reactions: HunkDronkey
I had lunch at The Yearling in Cross Creek yesterday. They had gator tail, venison and frog legs on the menu.

The Yearling in Cross Creek and the Lighthouse Restaurant in Fanning Springs are probably tied for most redneck hick restaurant in Florida.

• Sad
Ah, Chicken and Waffles. The “Southern Black Soul Food Dish” that was originally a white German immigrant dish in Central Pennsylvania for hundreds of years and then converted from fricassed to fried chicken in Harlem and LA for another forty years before it finally made its way south in the late 70s and early 80s. It’s up there with fried green tomatoes and pimento cheese sandwiches as the most fake Southern recipe.

JFC, are you claiming a variation of a dish can not be adopted by another culture and made its own?

• Haha
JFC, are you claiming a variation of a dish can not be adopted by another culture and made its own?

No. See every fight over who, what culture, and even what restaurant invented every food. There’s tens of thousands if not millions of such fights every day. ……and that’s just in Italy featuring every single Italian bickering over every single food item and what tiny village has the only authentic version.

Besides, I honestly don’t think of Jawja when it comes to chicken and waffles. I think skrimp and grits, she-crab soup, peach cobbler, low country boil, sweet potato pie, peach cobbler, insanely sweet tea even for the South, Hoppin John, Nu-Way wieners, Fresh Air BBQ, Chatham Artillery Punch and Call-a-Cabs. And if you’re going to limit it to Hotlanta then lemon pepper wet wings, Chick-fil-A, Coca-Cola, Varsity Orange Shakes, Collards with Pot Likker and cornbread, and Waffles…but with Hashbrowns smothered and covered, not fried chicken.

To me, a question such as this would be something that's made and not simply grown. As mentioned prior, Iowa = corn or Florida = oranges - I wouldn't think that way.

Those are crops, not strictly "food".

Someone mentioned Chicago Style Pizza for Illinois, that's how I would answer this. Something you make...you don't "make corn" necessarily, you grow it. And aside from "making sweet corn", there's about a million different things you can produce from field corn, so narrowing that down to one item is impossible.

For me, Iowa is pork tenderloins (I know Indiana would be that also). For Wisconsin, I'd say cheese. Missouri, I'd say BBQ. Minnesota, just guessing but maybe the Juicy Lucy or maybe fish frys? Ohio - that thing they do with hot dogs, chili and noodles? Nebraska, maybe the Runza or whatever that's called.

That's how I'd look at this.
Minnesota has to be SPAM, right?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT