ADVERTISEMENT

What do you want to see from spring practice?

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
I want to see CadeM and Labas making a lot of good throws to improved wide receiver corps. I think the TEnds will be fine maybe great with All and Lachey etc. I hope Cade is pretty fully recovered so he can fully practice but with NO contact nor guys even close to his leg.

I want to see the Oline actually getting reported as playing well against our defensive front 7. No more of these "maybe" stories like last spring and August of the Oline making big improvements. Just tell the truth and the honest assessment.

I hope we get reports that Jermari Harris is 100% healthy and practicing great which gives us two very good starting corners along with Castro, X, and Schulte at safety.

And will there be depth at lnbkr to push HIggins and Nick from Virginia.

And an actual spring game.

Reactions: Capital1Hawk
deep shots downfield.

Ah yes, very good point as that has been severely missing from the passing attack the last two years with bad pass protection, lack of speed and getting open, etc.

It will be great if those things come together and we are a 65-70% passing team. Lachey and All could be very good on the field together which should really occupy the safeties and maybe open up the wide receivers.

IIRC in the 2021 season it was a nice 30 yarder to Jones against ISU, that big pass of about 40 yards to Nico against PSU and a long one to jones against minny and to Keagon against jNW that were highlights of long passes the last couple of years

Reactions: Stoopsbrother
I want to see CadeM and Labas making a lot of good throws to improved wide receiver corps. I think the TEnds will be fine maybe great with All and Lachey etc. I hope Cade is pretty fully recovered so he can fully practice but with NO contact nor guys even close to his leg.

I want to see the Oline actually getting reported as playing well against our defensive front 7. No more of these "maybe" stories like last spring and August of the Oline making big improvements. Just tell the truth and the honest assessment.

I hope we get reports that Jermari Harris is 100% healthy and practicing great which gives us two very good starting corners along with Castro, X, and Schulte at safety.

That's a pretty long Christmas list but I would like to see this too.....

Hope springs eternal for the spring game.

Not sure I can remember positive surprises coming from the Spring activities.
Every single year the take away seems to be

‘The defense is clearly ahead of the offense’

Reactions: dadster
It will be great if those things come together and we are a 65-70% passing team.

Where do you do standup?

rim-shot-badum-tss.gif

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
An OL that can block. Doesnt matter who the QB is if we cant protect them and run the football efficiently. Deep passes were a pipe dream last year with an OL that was a revolving door.
you pretty much pilfered everything i wanted to post. i'm also hoping to see a bunch of OL guys massively motivated to redeem themselves this year.

This
We won't "see" anything. All behind closed doors. The spring practice "game" will show nothing as it did last year.
might be the only truthfull answer here.
I think most of or all our problems were the offensive line last year.
They just did not gel/play together for some reason that gave Spence no time to throw to a open receiver.
And yah I think Spence had a yips problem also.

Reactions: Bishop1971

The elimination of 3 yard passes on 3rd and 7.

As far as I know, McNamara is still rehabbing from his injury ... so I don't think he's supposed to be "full-go" until this summer.

Thus, I don't expect anything from McNamara during the spring ... other than him doing his best to learn the O.

New coaching staff with new AD

LOL…. One day you’ll get your wish. And the chance is better than 50% it doesn’t work out and I’ll be here to remind you what you wished for.

I’m just shocked how he very little perspective people have of the national landscape of coaching and how hit and miss it is getting a good coach!!

They never learn…they are never satisfied

The elimination of 3 yard passes on 3rd and 7.

Yea I hope they do that everywhere. If you turn on the NFL on Sunday, it really is shocking how many times they throw 3,4,5 yards under the sticks on third down!

Must be where Iowa learned it from…🤔

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Hendy hawk
LOL…. One day you’ll get your wish. And the chance is better than 50% it doesn’t work out and I’ll be here to remind you what you wished for.

I’m just shocked how he very little perspective people have of the national landscape of coaching and how hit and miss it is getting a good coach!!

How did Iowa get Hayden Fry? What happened?

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
How did Iowa get Hayden Fry? What happened?
We went through four or five coaches in 20 years, none of whom ever posted a winning record between Evy and John Hayden. If you think 10-2 with a bad offense, or 8-5 with a bad offense suck, will you become violent when the records start floating between 3-5 wins instead of 8-10?

A collapse like that is the risk of getting on that particular carousel. All we have now is stability and a sustained history of success, compared to most (like around 100) other D1 schools. When those are gone we will disappear in the world of unrestricted free agency and no salary caps, unless the NCAA does what its not known for doing.

As far as I know, McNamara is still rehabbing from his injury ... so I don't think he's supposed to be "full-go" until this summer.

Thus, I don't expect anything from McNamara during the spring ... other than him doing his best to learn the O.
He is listed as #1 on depth chart just released for spring.

Reactions: Bishop1971
We went through four or five coaches in 20 years, none of whom ever posted a winning record between Evy and John Hayden. If you think 10-2 with a bad offense, or 8-5 with a bad offense suck, will you become violent when the records start floating between 3-5 wins instead of 8-10?

A collapse like that is the risk of getting on that particular carousel. All we have now is stability and a sustained history of success, compared to most (like around 100) other D1 schools. When those are gone we will disappear in the world of unrestricted free agency and no salary caps, unless the NCAA does what its not known for doing.
Yep, just look at Nebraska.

How can Cade come in and be the starter even before Spring practice starts when it takes all other QB's (for the past 34 years) a year or more to learn the playbook? Is there not a QB competition like EVERY OTHER YEAR under KF?

Would like to see the OL make a 100% improvement, would like to see very few 3yd outs\curls\hooks on 3rd and long. Allow the QB to get in space and force the Defense to respect his mobility.

Really hoping that the O makes significant improvements overall so our Defense is not wasted, again.

I have been a fan since the early 70s. I have never been a KF fan on the offensive side of the ball. I just thank god that we have had some great defensive coaching minds over the years

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT