ADVERTISEMENT

What do you want to see from spring practice?

I have been a fan since the early 70s. I have never been a KF fan on the offensive side of the ball. I just thank god that we have had some great defensive coaching minds over the years

Well, he is the coach of the whole team! Considering he literally designed his whole career on defensive football and the offense facilitating….

It seems you should probably give a shit ton more credit to him for that defense!!

Reactions: AlvySinger
I want to see CadeM and Labas making a lot of good throws to improved wide receiver corps. I think the TEnds will be fine maybe great with All and Lachey etc. I hope Cade is pretty fully recovered so he can fully practice but with NO contact nor guys even close to his leg.

I want to see the Oline actually getting reported as playing well against our defensive front 7. No more of these "maybe" stories like last spring and August of the Oline making big improvements. Just tell the truth and the honest assessment.

I hope we get reports that Jermari Harris is 100% healthy and practicing great which gives us two very good starting corners along with Castro, X, and Schulte at safety.

And will there be depth at lnbkr to push HIggins and Nick from Virginia.

And an actual spring game.
This is exactly what I want to see. I want to hear that one of our receivers is truly turning heads and dominating. And that we have a tackle that is killing people as well. I have some worries about depth at corner and linebacker. Besides that zero worries about the defense.

Why did that surprise you after our regular season offense?
It probably didnt surprise him because 0 for 12 is really bad and the practices ahead of the bowl game should have also been a time to do lots of reps on the basics and put in a few special plays, like the center screen to Laporta that started off the first drive

It's good that Cade is at least a partial-go for the spring ... so that will allow him to build some chemistry with the guys on the O (and learn the O).

On the flip side, it's more than a bit of a bummer that both Bostick and Anderson are out with injury ... for the spring. To compound upon that, Brecht's development won't really be able to advance until the summer due to baseball.

Not a whole lot past Vines and Ragaini for this spring.

Reactions: cmhawks99
We went through four or five coaches in 20 years, none of whom ever posted a winning record between Evy and John Hayden. If you think 10-2 with a bad offense, or 8-5 with a bad offense suck, will you become violent when the records start floating between 3-5 wins instead of 8-10?

A collapse like that is the risk of getting on that particular carousel. All we have now is stability and a sustained history of success, compared to most (like around 100) other D1 schools. When those are gone we will disappear in the world of unrestricted free agency and no salary caps, unless the NCAA does what its not known for doing.
What you're describing here is a situation Iowa got itself in because it had unaccountable administration that either did not give 2 bleeps about sports or were downright malicious towards it as a value set. The big danger wasn't changing coaches. It was all about giving keys to administrators that didn't know how to lead, hire, or invest in the programs, and that can happen to pretty much any program in the country.

What you're describing here is a situation Iowa got itself in because it had unaccountable administration that either did not give 2 bleeps about sports or were downright malicious towards it as a value set. The big danger wasn't changing coaches. It was all about giving keys to administrators that didn't know how to lead, hire, or invest in the programs, and that can happen to pretty much any program in the country.

How about everyone else who has fired & hired coaches over and over, with horrible results?!

This is exactly what I want to see. I want to hear that one of our receivers is truly turning heads and dominating. And that we have a tackle that is killing people as well. I have some worries about depth at corner and linebacker. Besides that zero worries about the defense.
Well they told us Wick was tearing it up last year.

...and you think the University administration and leadership are better for the major sports now????

Even were I to concede that circumstnace the situation is worse today. I have no confidence that coaching competence would be the primary criterion on which the hiring decision was made.

Of course I don't concede your point because the general rule is most coaching changes fail. Alford. Some fail spectacularly. Lickliter. Not just at Iowa but almost every sport in every other NCAA Division I school. While I will concede there are other bad administrations the difference between coaching change failings is too large to be based on those things alone. Although

Plus you insert just a little magic thinking. You describe some other ideal administrative leadership that clearly does not exist at Iowa. So you are basing your solution in part on something that does not exist at Iowa.

Nor is there a realistic solution. Where do we start the terminations. Start with President and work our way down? You have to play the hand you're dealt. Change is almost certainly catastrophic for Iowa right now.

Reactions: cmhawks99
...and you think the University administration and leadership are better for the major sports now????

Even were I to concede that circumstnace the situation is worse today. I have no confidence that coaching competence would be the primary criterion on which the hiring decision was made.

Of course I don't concede your point because the general rule is most coaching changes fail. Alford. Some fail spectacularly. Lickliter. Not just at Iowa but almost every sport in every other NCAA Division I school. While I will concede there are other bad administrations the difference between coaching change failings is too large to be based on those things alone. Although

Plus you insert just a little magic thinking. You describe some other ideal administrative leadership that clearly does not exist at Iowa. So you are basing your solution in part on something that does not exist at Iowa.

Nor is there a realistic solution. Where do we start the terminations. Start with President and work our way down? You have to play the hand you're dealt. Change is almost certainly catastrophic for Iowa right now.

Well said….it’s the norm, not the exception!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT