ADVERTISEMENT

What happened to Kate Martin today?

Minus CC this team is just not all that special. Nobody has CONSISTENTLY been able to step up when necessary. Kate had some nice shots late today, but also missed easy scoring opportunities and had some dumb TOs. Gabby had been playing better as of late, but today looked like she did early in the season, couldn't make anything. HS obviously had the huge game on Thursday, but is still missing easy shots, FTs, and for whatever reason isn't that go-to big we can rely on in the post late in games to score or get fouled and make FTs. We need these players to step up and deliver when CC isn't able to get clean looks/shots late, and they're just not able to do it in tight games consistently. It's going to kill us at tourney time.

Minus CC this team is just not all that special. Nobody has CONSISTENTLY been able to step up when necessary. Kate had some nice shots late today, but also missed easy scoring opportunities and had some dumb TOs. Gabby had been playing better as of late, but today looked like she did early in the season, couldn't make anything. HS obviously had the huge game on Thursday, but is still missing easy shots, FTs, and for whatever reason isn't that go-to big we can rely on in the post late in games to score or get fouled and make FTs. We need these players to step up and deliver when CC isn't able to get clean looks/shots late, and they're just not able to do it in tight games consistently. It's going to kill us at tourney time.
Great post.

Nailed everything I’ve been saying all season.

That’s exactly why I’m sticking by this team making a sweet 16 exit this season.

And honestly, that’s about their ceiling. Even with having the greatest player in the history of the game on the roster.

And Clark is 100% going pro after this year.

She’s frustrated with this roster & who could blame her?

I can’t stand watching Gabby play anymore.

She’s become the Patrick McCaffrey of the women.

Just brings absolutely nothing to the game.
I’m one of the biggest Gabbie fans but I’m getting to this point as well. Our team consistently gets torched by girls going off from 3s and if she can’t help defend against that, then what’s the point of hyping up her defense? Especially when she’s missing 3s

Reactions: ddeanHawk
I’m one of the biggest Gabbie fans but I’m getting to this point as well. Our team consistently gets torched by girls going off from 3s and if she can’t help defend against that, then what’s the point of hyping up her defense? Especially when she’s missing 3s
Went under screens set for Jaz Shelley all night; even I know you don't go under screens vs a shooter. And Shelley is Nebbie's best offensive rebounding guard so if you aren't going to put a body on her as shots go up, she's going to run around and get off rebounds. Watched the game again right afterwards, effort was embarrassing. Can forgive not shooting well, but there is no effort and that's a non-negotiable for most teams.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Martin was 3-5 on two pointers, so I don't know how you get "five missed bunnies" out of that.

You fat old guys on the couch sure can spot things that the woman in the arena didn't do.

Honestly, this is a really dumb post. Hannah is awesome, Martin is really good, same with Davis(she's out sick). Affolter is going to be great next year. Many of these players take a back seat to a phenom for the time being.

Honestly, this is a really dumb post. Hannah is awesome, Martin is really good, same with Davis(she's out sick). Affolter is going to be great next year. Many of these players take a back seat to a phenom for the time being.
I think Stuelke could end up being really good. But if I'm looking at this lineup in relation to those of other top-5 and top-10 teams, we have a collection of nice role players and that's about it IMO.

Kate was seen jumping into Ronnie Harmon’s car postgame for her ride back to Iowa City. Shhhhhh……
Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards

This team is very average, probably below a little without cc. It shows one great player can make fair bb team into a really good one, unlike fb

While she did miss point blank twice in 1st quarter, she played very hard the whole game. For that she is very much appreciated.

Missing free throws over and over again is what I can't understand. Free throw shooting can be taught to practically anyone...regardless of speed, jumping ability and so on. Proper technique...repetition is all that is required. Players that stand rigid or rush the shot....or do silly things like spin the ball to one side usually are poor shooters. It's all correctble.
Players at this level practice basketball constantly...year round. They should all be shooting FT well.

The elephant in the room is Marshall. Unable to produce at what is supposed to be her strength shooting 3s hurts the team when she is setup for clear open shots. About every Nebraska player on the court nailed their 3s when open. But the biggest thing lacking in Marshall is her inabiity to crash the boards or even attempt to get rebounds. She spends a lot of time adjusting her hair and jersey though.

In my mind. Move Hanna to 4, have the other centers man the 5 by committee, and Marshall is a bench player. Davis and Affowlter have to play a lot of minutes for this team to do anything against good teams.

Reactions: Cymonhawk
While she did miss point blank twice in 1st quarter, she played very hard the whole game. For that she is very much appreciated.

Missing free throws over and over again is what I can't understand. Free throw shooting can be taught to practically anyone...regardless of speed, jumping ability and so on. Proper technique...repetition is all that is required. Players that stand rigid or rush the shot....or do silly things like spin the ball to one side usually are poor shooters. It's all correctble.
Players at this level practice basketball constantly...year round. They should all be shooting FT well.

The elephant in the room is Marshall. Unable to produce at what is supposed to be her strength shooting 3s hurts the team when she is setup for clear open shots. About every Nebraska player on the court nailed their 3s when open. But the biggest thing lacking in Marshall is her inabiity to crash the boards or even attempt to get rebounds. She spends a lot of time adjusting her hair and jersey though.

In my mind. Move Hanna to 4, have the other centers man the 5 by committee, and Marshall is a bench player. Davis and Affowlter have to play a lot of minutes for this team to do anything against good teams.
Here’s why you can’t have Hanna at the 4. She can’t shoot. So while she’s in the perimeter her defender is sitting square in the lane playing the drive by Caitlin. Completely takes the drive away. And they will make Hannah make 3 threes every game before they come out on her

Reactions: DewHawk
I think Stuelke could end up being really good. But if I'm looking at this lineup in relation to those of other top-5 and top-10 teams, we have a collection of nice role players and that's about it IMO.
Honestly, you should take some time to watch the other top 5 and top 10 team role players.

For instance, Hannah has a 33.7 PER. Kate Martin's is 25.1. Affolter 24.8.
South Carolina - Fuliwley 29.2, Kitts 27.6, Paopao 24.3, Hall 18.4
LSU - Van Lith's is 15.9. Morrow's is 31. Flau'jae 23.5.
OSU - Mcmahon 21.8, Thierry 29, Taylor 17.8, Mikulaskikova 18.8
UCLA - Osborne 24.9, Rice 23.2, Jones 17.4.
Stanford - Iriafen 37.8, Jump 14.5, Agara 23.5.
Texas - Booker 25.2, Gonzalez, 15.4, Moore 25, Muhammad 19.1
N.C. State - Hayes 22.9, Collins, Collins 20.2, Rivers 22.4, Brooks 19.

Only Stanford has someone who has been more efficient than Hannah this year that isn't the best player. I think watching Clark and the things she has done, has made many underestimate just how good these other players are on the team. We are just fine.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT