ADVERTISEMENT

What if Iowa & Penn St had wrestled? A look at the 9 B1G meet rotation

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Interesting article.

A Hawkeye and a Lion writer offer their predictions. Agree?

Also, a reminder of how the 9 B1G dual schedule is made each season:

14-team Conference Wrestling Schedule Model
  • Each team wrestles 9 duals per year
  • Each team skips 4 teams every year
  • 14 teams are split into rivalry pairs
  • Each team wrestles its rivalry partner every year
  • Other 12 teams come and go in pairs, and pairs are synced along Home/Away lines
  • Results in wrestling each of 12 teams every 2 out of 3 years, along with missing two pairs of two teams every third year. Got it?
Rivalry Pairs
  • Iowa / Minnesota
  • Penn State / Ohio State
  • Michigan / Michigan State
  • Nebraska / Wisconsin
  • Illinois / Northwestern
  • Indiana / Purdue
  • Rutgers / Maryland

LINK: https://www.blackshoediaries.com/20...son-nolf-spencer-lee-austin-desanto-bo-nickal

Last edited:
No need for rotation. Set up 2 levels with a relegation/promotion system like almost all the major soccer leagues on earth.

Levels are set depending on finish this year, let’s say. So Level 1 has teams finishing 1st through 7th; Level 2 the rest. Each level has a round robin so you wrestle the other 6 and then maybe you’d wrestle 3 of the other level as determined before each season. At the end of the year, teams finishing 1st and 2nd in Level 2 get promoted to Level 1, and teams finishing 6th and 7th in Level 1 get relegated. Only teams on Level 1 can win the BIG dual title, but it would make a lot of late season duals very interesting.

Interesting article.

A Hawkeye and a Lion writer offer their predictions. Agree?

Also, a reminder of how the 9 B1G dual schedule is made each season:

14-team Conference Wrestling Schedule Model
  • Each team wrestles 9 duals per year
  • Each team skips 4 teams every year
  • 14 teams are split into rivalry pairs
  • Each team wrestles its rivalry partner every year
  • Other 12 teams come and go in pairs, and pairs are synced along Home/Away lines
  • Results in wrestling each of 12 teams every 2 out of 3 years, along with missing two pairs of two teams every third year. Got it?
Rivalry Pairs
  • Iowa / Minnesota
  • Penn State / Ohio State
  • Michigan / Michigan State
  • Nebraska / Wisconsin
  • Illinois / Northwestern
  • Indiana / Purdue
  • Rutgers / Maryland

LINK: https://www.blackshoediaries.com/20...son-nolf-spencer-lee-austin-desanto-bo-nickal

The worst part of this stupid rotation is that whenever Iowa misses Penn State, we'll also miss Ohio State because they're partnered. So essentially, when it's the year to skip them, we miss out on the 2 other great programs in the conference. This year just highlighted it even worse since we missed the Michigan/Michigan State pairing as well, but it's still a problem even if we wrestled Michigan.

Reactions: HawkeyeEmpire
Like the idea but it’d never happen. The schools at the bottom need Iowa or Penn State on the home schedule to get some fans in the door.

Can confirm. Live about an hour from Maryland campus and the only reason I'd ever go to their matches is to see Iowa or Penn State. Penn State because they're my team, Iowa because it's Iowa.

I think something like tri-pods would work out well. Within these pods, teams would wrestle triangle meets. For Example:
  • Iowa Pod 1: Minn, Neb
  • Iowa Pod 2: Wisc, NW
With 14 schools one team would have to be a floater so there would have to be 1 quad meet. I volunteer Rutgers for this. Outside of these two triangle meets, teams would wrestle 9 traditional duals. This would allow each school to wrestle every school in a season.

Reactions: TNTwrestle
I think something like tri-pods would work out well. Within these pods, teams would wrestle triangle meets. For Example:
  • Iowa Pod 1: Minn, Neb
  • Iowa Pod 2: Wisc, NW
With 14 schools one team would have to be a floater so there would have to be 1 quad meet. I volunteer Rutgers for this. Outside of these two triangle meets, teams would wrestle 9 traditional duals. This would allow each school to wrestle every school in a season.
Who doesn't love a good tripod?

Reactions: russelscout
No need for rotation. Set up 2 levels with a relegation/promotion system like almost all the major soccer leagues on earth.

Levels are set depending on finish this year, let’s say. So Level 1 has teams finishing 1st through 7th; Level 2 the rest. Each level has a round robin so you wrestle the other 6 and then maybe you’d wrestle 3 of the other level as determined before each season. At the end of the year, teams finishing 1st and 2nd in Level 2 get promoted to Level 1, and teams finishing 6th and 7th in Level 1 get relegated. Only teams on Level 1 can win the BIG dual title, but it would make a lot of late season duals very interesting.

A 'pre season' tournament to determine the divisions would be pretty cool. I know duals and tourneys are different animals, but it is a chance to compare individual wrestlers.

Ideally it could be an open where redshirts can wrestle unattached and serve as a measuring stick for pulling shirts. I suppose I am just describing midlands/scuffle/etc, and with all the 'ducking' talk it probably wont ever happen. But it would be entertaining, and set up the post season tourney to be even more exciting I think.

I could also get behind a few double-duals. Is it just a matter of the post-holiday season not being long enough to have more B10 duals?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT