ADVERTISEMENT

What is he most crushing defeat you ever felt watching sports?

I've felt some serious pain as a sports fan; I grew up a diehard RedSox fan, the son of a diehard RedSox fan. The last 20 years have been great, but the stretch from when I was old enough to care (early 70s) until the breakthrough in 2003 were brutal. Then I became a Nole, and suffered mightily with them for years. My highlowlights....

* The Sox losing the 1986 WS to the mutts, with the ground ball trickling through Buckner's legs (though they'd already blown that game). Felt like I'd just watched my dog get run over by a car.

* Wide Right #1 against um, when FSU was undefeated & top-ranked, led the whole game only to fall behind on a late TD, then march down to get into range for a short, game-winning FG. Sat silenty in the stands, with 70,000+ other stunned FSU fans, for about 45 minutes before mustering the strength to shuffle down the stairs & back to the car. I felt sick for a full week after that game.

There were several others, mostly FSU losses to um.

I wasn't expecting much of the Packers last year. Was pretty surprised we snuck in the playoffs. But we beat the Cowboys... Great. We always beat the cowboys. But didn't think we'd beat the niners in the divisional round. But then we were playing well. And frankly were in charge of the first 3 quarters. I let myself start believing. Then we shit the bed. That hurt more than I thought it would.

Oh man, the list is long for us Iowa fans. I will just go with the most recent. Losing to Richmond in the first round of the 2022 tourney. I thought we had the team to make a legit deep run in that tourney. My interest in Iowa basketball has seriously fallen off a cliff after that game.

2015 B1G championship game.

I sat in stunned silence for what seemed like forever.
We were watching at the St. Louis I-Club game watch at ballpark village. They were hosting the "world's biggest ugly Xmas sweater party" right after. They didn't even wait for us to slowly, sadly leave. DJ just immediately cranks that f****** Mirah Carey song and these idiots rush in to take our seats.

I hate that song.

Reactions: bojihawk44
FSU vs Tennessee for the Natty really hurt.
FSU losing to the team from the East always hurts… first one that stands out was Noles vs gates in 1968. It was the first time a Florida State game was on national tv…ABC came to town.
FSU beat them in gunsville the year before and were on a roll. gates defense prevailed in an 9-3 game that the Hawkeyes would have loved.

I was at that Bobby Olive game. When they drove down I continued to sit while most others were trying to spur on our defense. My young nephew asked me, "they're going to score aren't they.." and all I could do was shake my head yes.

One of the others is the classic Christmas Day Kansas City loss to Miami in 1971 in what was then the longest playoff game.

Reactions: Tom Paris
We will see you..... Tomorrow night!

I loved that game.

I didn't love the 2015 Big Ten championship. That was a gut punch.
Haha who am I kidding? That night still hurts.

I think of Nelly alligator-arming that Freese shot in the 9th every time I see Adolis make it look routine 😑

My two:

maxresdefault.jpg

hi-res-15ed55a571d2509f1ea652b0a683b39c_crop_north.jpg

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
'84 Cubs Games 4 and 5 of NLCS, 3 Broncos Super Bowl blowouts in the '80s and Iowa-Ohio St football '90. Several really difficult defeats to take when I was a teenager, an age in which your team losing felt like the end of the world.

I've endured many other difficult defeats since then from my Cubs, Broncos and Hawkeyes, but as an adult I've had better perspective and have been able to handle it better. Games like the '15 BTCG, '09 Iowa-Ohio St and the numerous NCAA Tourney debacles have been really difficult on my kids, however.

Edit to add Lincoln McIlravy losing the '95 national championship match. I wouldn't call it a "crushing defeat" to me personally, but probably the most shocked I'd ever been of a sporting outcome.

Last edited:
I don't know about crushing, but overall just sadness was the Rose Bowl against Stanford. Whole family fired up, bunch of food and drinks ready to go. Then Christian McCaffery happened and the game was over in 5 minutes.
My first child was a week old for that game. I was so excited to watch it (last one I was 3 and obviously didn't remember). I looked at him halfway through the first quarter and just said "welp... This is what it's like as a Hawkeye fan. Get used to it".

So many football losses
1987 L 26-25 to Miami
1992 L 19-16 to Miami
1996 L 52-20 to gators in Sugar Bowl National Championship after beating them in the regular season

Reactions: NoleinATL
On top of the list of Iowa heartbreaks, I'll add Patriots losing the undefeated season to NYG. F Eli Manning.

Reactions: stickman80
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT