ADVERTISEMENT

What is he most crushing defeat you ever felt watching sports?

2002 Iowa State loss where Banks starts fumbling the ball at a surprising pace in the 2nd half.
1987 UNLV loss was heartbreaking
2003 Orange Bowl, we played so bad that team was so much better then they showed in that game
2006 Northwestern State... F Alford.
2015 Championship game.

Forgot this one from 1984. It sent me into tears as a child. Couldn't find it on Youtube.

Michigan State 17, Iowa 16​

In Iowa City, Anthony Bell and Shane Bullough tackled Chuck Long inches from the goal line on his attempt for a two-point conversion with 44 seconds to go. It cost No. 18 Iowa the Big Ten lead. Michigan State (6-4 and 5-3) hadn't beaten Iowa in five years.

Long led two fourth-quarter scoring drives, his three-yard pass to Jonathan Hayes making it a one-point game.

Iowa (6-3-1 and 5-2-1) must rely on Michigan beating Ohio State next week to make it to the Rose Bowl.

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
I could give a list of golf defeats a mile long but this is the worst one:

My hs girls team is playing in regional finals to go to state. In HS golf you count the 4 lowest scores of the 6 players.
Of the 4 scores we took, all 4 players 4 putted their final hole and we missed out on going to state by 1 stroke. All 4 shot respectable scores in the 80's and 90's, so a 3 putt is not common at that level, let alone 4.

• Wow
Reactions: Tom Paris
I agree with OP. The UNLV game hurt. I was in 6th grade. I remember crying.

For me, however, is the 1999 NFC Championship. The Vikings were 15-1 that season. Kicker Gary Anderson was perfect all year, of course, until that game. I believe the Vikings would have beaten those Falcons 9 out of 10 times.

I was a senior in college at Mankato State. My roommates and I did not even watch Super Bowl.

I still haven't gotten over that game and have been kind of numb with the Vikings since. Then you add the Blair Walsh miss and the NFC Championship where we choked against New Orleans. Plus they have been destroyed twice in the NFC Championship. All of those sucked, but nothing like the Atlanta game.

This. I was at that Atlanta game and felt pretty confident that the Vikings were easily the best team in the NFL that year and were finally going to win a Super Bowl. After Anderson missed that FG I had to head directly to the airport for a work trip to Seattle. That was the worst flight and work trip.

1998 Minnesota Vikings.
This. Only thing close to a championship for one of my professional teams besides the twins winning in 91 when I was 7 years old.
What really sucked about is that they should have easily won the game but when into reserve mode in the second half and pissed it away. Not to mention Gary Anderson being perfect all year and choking when it mattered most.

Reactions: onlyTheObvious
This. Only thing close to a championship for one of my professional teams besides the twins winning in 91 when I was 7 years old.
What really sucked about is that they should have easily won the game but when into reserve mode in the second half and pissed it away. Not to mention Gary Anderson being perfect all year and choking when it mattered most.
Pretty much convinced no Minnesota pro sports teaM will ever win a championship after that

41-0 to Giants and Favre throwing across his body only confirmed it.

Reactions: IAFB2021Champs
Pretty much convinced no Minnesota pro sports teaM will ever win a championship after that

41-0 to Giants and Favre throwing across his body only confirmed it.
I always had a bit of mixed feelings the year with farve. Don’t get me wrong I would have loved winning a Super Bowl but I always feel it would have been a little sour knowing it was with him.

1997 football vs Michigan. Worst I've ever felt after any game.
The Matt Sherman game and not in a good way. That's one I haven't thought about it in awhile. Same with 2002 ISU, games we should have won and just gifted the other team the victory. 97 had so much talent and underwhelmed. 2002 should have been an undefeated regular season.

I always had a bit of mixed feelings the year with farve. Don’t get me wrong I would have loved winning a Super Bowl but I always feel it would have been a little sour knowing it was with him.
I don’t care if Aldof Hitler was QB if it meant Vikings won Super Bowl. They could hang is ass after the game.

• Love

Personally, to me that would have been sweeter. Finally win a SB, and stick it to Packer fans who thought Favre was washed up.

Crushing= BTC v MSU
Depressing= Very next game against Stanford. Who would of thought I'd have the Rose Bowl game off after the 1st Q. Zero enjoyment. At least in the 2003 Orange Bowl there was a few exciting moments.

I got out of National Guard Drill in time to make it to the Iowa - ISU game. So granted, I was not lubricated before getting there. But friends had flasks when I got there. When Iowa got up big my buddy and I were chanting Fiesta Bowl (MNC). Shit went down hill from there. I still take blame for jinxing us.

As an Iowa, Cubs, Vikings fan…..this thread has led me to ask my wife to remove all sharp objects from the house.

Watching my 2016 videos now

For Iowa sports it is 100% the UNLV game. Iowa could have won the title. I was in Des Moines area for that game. After the game we went outside and other people came out of their houses swearing and throwing shit. It was surreal.

Iowa was never national championship material in football.

Last edited:
I could give a list of golf defeats a mile long but this is the worst one:

My hs girls team is playing in regional finals to go to state. In HS golf you count the 4 lowest scores of the 6 players.
Of the 4 scores we took, all 4 players 4 putted their final hole and we missed out on going to state by 1 stroke. All 4 shot respectable scores in the 80's and 90's, so a 3 putt is not common at that level, let alone 4.
I FIVE putted a green at the HS state meet my junior year….we finished 3 shots out of first place (tie)……….It was a long ride home.
A teammate hit a ball out of bounds by about 2”….another teammate shot his worse score of the year that day…..Shit happens….especially in golf!

Outside of a litany of obvious Iowa examples...Ol' Doodle has four words for you:
Francisco Cabrera Sid Bream

Apoplectic doesn't even approach adequately describing Doodle's reaction.

32 years later and Doodle still hasn't moved on to the fifth stage of grief on that one.

Neil O'Donnell to Larry Brown is also in the conversation.

I got out of National Guard Drill in time to make it to the Iowa - ISU game. So granted, I was not lubricated before getting there. But friends had flasks when I got there. When Iowa got up big my buddy and I were chanting Fiesta Bowl (MNC). Shit went down hill from there. I still take blame for jinxing us.
Don’t beat yourself up, Hawks would’ve ended that season in the exact same bowl playing the exact same team had they beat ISU. Undefeated regular season would’ve been great but they wouldn’t have played for the title.

For me it’s 2015 BTCG. Thought we had it when Beathard hit the bomb to Smith to take the lead, given the way our D had been playing. Once MSU started to grind slowly downfield I knew we were effed in the a. I got *real* drunk that night.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
having a close family member as a hc of a college basketball team, there is one that sticks out, sweet 16 game, nip and tuck the entire game. Three seconds left, our team missed two free throws, still had a one point lead, some fag from the other team hits a desperation off balance shot to win by 1. Brutal.

For me it was Iowa/UNLV in the elite 8 I believe in 1988. Mostly because I was a kid and wore wins and losses a lot harder back then and blowing that halftime lead sucked.. I remember going to the local park shooting hoops in a drizzle for hours devastated after that game.
This. Always this

Tom Davis lost every ounce of respect and admiration I had for him following this game.

This. Always this

Tom Davis lost every ounce of respect and admiration I had for him following this game.
How’d you feel after Lute absolutely tossed away Iowa’s NCAA loss to Wichita St, blowing a 20 point second half lead and then calling a “time out” when Iowa had none to call, giving Iowas a technical foul awarding WSU free throws and the ball….and thereby icing the game for the Shockers?
Iowa was a Top 10 rated team that year….Did you lose all respect and admiration for Lute following that game, too?

Mines more local. Sioux City Bandits vs Sioux Falls Storm 2005 championship game. 3 horrible calls by the refs handed the game to Sioux Falls. Handed to them on a platter. For 10 years or more if I got to thinking about it I wouldn't be able to sleep.

When I was 8 I crushed that damn radius bone in my arm swinging at a wooden rocking chair when Dwight Clark caught that pass in the 1981 NFC championship game against my Cowboys. When that barometric pressure drops below 1000 millibars it still fvcks with me.

When I was 8 I crushed that damn radius bone in my arm swinging at a wooden rocking chair when Dwight Clark caught that pass in the 1981 NFC championship game against my Cowboys. When that barometric pressure drops below 1000 millibars it still fvcks with me.

Godspeed

Numerous for FSU Football
91 Wide Right
92 Wide Right ( went to school with Dan, hated it for him )
96 UF Natty ( this would be the lowest as they were the best team that year, BUT we would have beat any other team like a drum)
98 went to Tempe, terrible loss and hearing that dumbass song nonstop
00 Orange Bowl, this is my #1, we got outcoached, out hustled it was awful

FSU Basketball
2020 Covid beat our best shot in my lifetime

Golf
2006 Winged Foot- As a correct-handed golfer I was a HUGE Phil for many years that was difficult to watch

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT