ADVERTISEMENT

What is he most crushing defeat you ever felt watching sports?

I was at that Bobby Olive game. When they drove down I continued to sit while most others were trying to spur on our defense. My young nephew asked me, "they're going to score aren't they.." and all I could do was shake my head yes.

One of the others is the classic Christmas Day Kansas City loss to Miami in 1971 in what was then the longest playoff game.
That whole game was a series of flukes that all went OSU’s way.

Nick Anderson missing four free throws in a row against Houston in the finals.

Wide right 1 and 2 vs Miami. I was at the second wide right game in Miami and we were seated behind and to the right of the goalpost when looking out at the field . The kick looked good from our angle so we all cheered and then had to see the smug looks on the UM fans faces as they stood up and waved their hands at us.

Reactions: nelly02
The Dodgers losing the 17 WS to the Astros. I thought that was the best Dodgers team in my lifetime. Then it was made worse by what we learned of the Astros later. I still haven't gotten over it.
A close second was the Colts losing to the Saints in SB 44.

1982 loss to Minnesota in 2OT in “final” game in Fieldhouse. (It’s almost like I knew we would never see a Big Ten title again)

I agree with OP. The UNLV game hurt. I was in 6th grade. I remember crying.

For me, however, is the 1999 NFC Championship. The Vikings were 15-1 that season. Kicker Gary Anderson was perfect all year, of course, until that game. I believe the Vikings would have beaten those Falcons 9 out of 10 times.

I was a senior in college at Mankato State. My roommates and I did not even watch Super Bowl.

I still haven't gotten over that game and have been kind of numb with the Vikings since. Then you add the Blair Walsh miss and the NFC Championship where we choked against New Orleans. Plus they have been destroyed twice in the NFC Championship. All of those sucked, but nothing like the Atlanta game.

For me it was Iowa/UNLV in the elite 8 I believe in 1988. Mostly because I was a kid and wore wins and losses a lot harder back then and blowing that halftime lead sucked.. I remember going to the local park shooting hoops in a drizzle for hours devastated after that game.
BCG v MSU

For me it was Iowa/UNLV in the elite 8 I believe in 1988. Mostly because I was a kid and wore wins and losses a lot harder back then and blowing that halftime lead sucked.. I remember going to the local park shooting hoops in a drizzle for hours devastated after that game.
Ya, I vaguely remember that game.....

And by vaguely, I mean vividly - haunts me to this day and I literally cannot watch an Iowa basketball game without thinking about it at least once.

I may have a problem.

I remember telling myself while watching the Iowa-Tennessee NCAA tourney game a few years back that,
"if Iowa just completes this comeback after being down 22 and getting to OT, I'll finally be able to exorcise this demon".....I REALLY wanted to "UNLV" those bastards......but we all know how that turned out.

Reactions: hawkeye54545
December 12, 2023

AA1kVSA0.img

I agree with OP. The UNLV game hurt. I was in 6th grade. I remember crying.

For me, however, is the 1999 NFC Championship. The Vikings were 15-1 that season. Kicker Gary Anderson was perfect all year, of course, until that game. I believe the Vikings would have beaten those Falcons 9 out of 10 times.

I was a senior in college at Mankato State. My roommates and I did not even watch Super Bowl.

I still haven't gotten over that game and have been kind of numb with the Vikings since. Then you add the Blair Walsh miss and the NFC Championship where we choked against New Orleans. Plus they have been destroyed twice in the NFC Championship. All of those sucked, but nothing like the Atlanta game.
That was AWESOME.

So many through the years so I will go with the first time I had my heart ripped out as a Hawk fan, Damn you Pembrook Burrows!

Iowa basketball at Iowa State in 2015. Lost 83-82 when were up over 20 points most of the game. Crushing loss... Uthoff was insane on fire in the first half and barely shot the ball in the 2nd. I believed in Hilton Magic that night. No way we should have lost that game. That years senior class always choked away big games.

Reactions: NI hawk
since 2015 b1g ccg is taken i’ll go with a really odd one. in 2014 minnesota absolutely thrashed us to the tune of 51-14. dominated us with no trickery or finesse. that loss still feels surreal

Watching Paul Shirley from ISU sit on the bench bawling when the refs decided to deny ISU a likely National Title and give it to MSU.

Probably the only time in my life Ive cried and had a boner at the same time.

Spencer Lee loss wasn't that surprising to me. Yeah it sucked but he played with fire that whole season getting put on his back and that night he got burnt.

Easily the double doink by Cody Parkey...will never forget that day. First time I was exhausted until about Wednesday that week.

St. Patty's Day ruined.

Just brutal.
Ha! I was out with buddies of all team affiliations. So confident that we had a run in us that year. We were all like ‘what the f just happened to this day?’ Didn’t let it stop us from having a hell of day off work to watch bball and stay out later than I know how to.

Reactions: jasonrann
1997 football vs Michigan. Worst I've ever felt after any game.
1996 football vs tOSU.
2003 Orange Bowl
1990 football vs. tOSU. Bobby freakin Olive.
2006 Outback bowl. Not offsides.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
3rd place- 2009 Iowa vs OSU OT game in the shoe.
2nd place- Iowa vs MSU B10 championship game
1st place- 2014 Game 7 world series Royals vs Bumgarner. I was at that game. Guy pitched game 1, game 4, and came in as a reliever in game 7 for five innings. I was at the game and remember there is no way he could pitch on two days rest. He then went on to pitch 5 scoreless innings. Royals got the possible tying runner on third and Perez pops up for the third out. I was emotionally destroyed. It's one of the greatest performances in all of MLB.

1-1970 Jacksonville. Pretty young and a little fuzzy in my memory. Really hurt.
2-1987 UNLV. I couldn't watch sports the next week.
3-MSU Football Game 2015. Proud and sad at same time. Maybe more stunned.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT