ADVERTISEMENT

what is the best Kirk Ferentz coached team ever

I still firmly believe that had Stanzi not gotten hurt in '09, Iowa would have played for a national title.

That defense was stacked, with every single starter having been on an NFL roster at one point. The offense had 2 of the best WRs in school history, talented RBs, and a QB with a short memory and liquid nitrogen in his veins.

Most importantly though, they had that "it" factor, and a shitload of luck.

2002 team, if KF wouldn't have tried to turn Banks into a pocket passer , we would have won
Lol wut?

Banks had the best passer efficiency rating in the nation. He could run, but he was very much a pass first QB.

AND KF did use his legs on draws and option plays. Obviously he did something right considering we went 11-2.

Last edited:
Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
2002 team, if KF wouldn't have tried to turn Banks into a pocket passer , we would have won

tenor.gif

O2 was not totally a staple KF team. He has never since had a scrambling QB, fred russell was an average running back at best, perfect zone blocking back and thats about it

Looking through the 4 best teams...
2002 best offense, ok defense, good special teams
2004 best defense, ok passing offense, bad running offense, good special teams
2009 good offense, good defense, good special teams
2015 best schedule, good offense, good defense, ok special teams

My heart says to go with 2002.

2004 is interesting. What would have happened if Jermelle didn’t go down for the season in the homecoming game? We still won the rest of the games without him though. I think with 2004 being one dimensional on offense, 2002 beats them in a November game. They could beat 2009 though, Tate was so good at making things happen and 2009’s offense would get stopped by the 2004 defense.

2009 was the most well rounded. But they lose to 2002’s great offense and ok defense if they play a November game. Probably a different story if they play in a bowl game when Norm gets a month to prepare.

2015 doesn’t have a shot against the others unless CJ is completely healthy and even then they need some help.

Interestingly I think 2015 is the weakest team, but they had the best start to the season. The other three all had issues in the first month. Maybe it is just me knowing how they got exposed immediately in the Rose Bowl, whereas 2002 was tied, and should have been leading, at halftime of the Orange Bowl and the other two won their big bowl games.

O2 was not totally a staple KF team. He has never since had a scrambling QB, fred russell was an average running back at best, perfect zone blocking back and thats about it
Average running back that was Hula Bowl MVP and made an NFL practice squad even though he was about 5’7” tall? He did those things without having our great OLine in front of him. He was a good, but not great running back that was hampered by his limited height.

2008 KF replaces Jake Christensen for Ricky Stanzi. Though I wish he would have done that in the Pitt game. But even after losses to Northwestern and Michigan st, they went on to win 6 of their last 7. And the momentum after the season helped them going into 09. The coaching by the team in general to right a ship that started 3-0 and then went to 3-3, is huge. Yes the season may not have been as great as 02, 09, 15, but it wasn't as talented as those teams either. But the QB switch, the growth of players on that team and the 4 game win streak to end the season that preceded the 09 season. I'll pick 08.

Also maybe its just me but I thought KF looked smart having the ball given to Shonn Greene

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT