ADVERTISEMENT

What is the middle ground on - abortion

The status quo is the compromise. But that’s not acceptable to the right. They don’t want the issue settled, they want the controversy because abortion drives a significant number of their base.
No dog in this fight but you just can't help virtue signalling. lol

Whoa easy there. How about we hold men accountable for pregnancies instead of abandoning women and not let them leave scott free? How about you women who outnumber men vote out the male politicians? Better yet, how about we work together as a society and try to fix this issue from both sides.
Well, I am a male first off. You should educate yourself on power structures, what do we need to fix? It's pretty easy, the government should not be able to tell a woman what to do with her body.

Interesting question. I know two women that were raped and became pregnant as a result. One of them was my ex-wife. In both cases, they were from deeply religious families and they struggled with the decision. They both chose to terminate the pregnancies and I cannot find fault with them for it. I know another person that had three because she wasn't practicing safe sex. Hard for me to agree with that.

I get your stance but it also seems like the woman is being told you are going to have that kid as a punishment for poor decision making which isn’t a good situation either.

Last edited:
Reactions: jasonrann
Better sex education and support for children who are born would be a start. Easy access to birth control would be a bonus. If you don’t have unwanted pregnancies you have far fewer women seeking out abortion.

You’d be shocked how many pregnant women don’t understand the biology of how they get pregnant. Abstinence only sex education is a joke. I had a patient (mid-20s) in medical school who thought her baby would be born out her butthole and was totally shocked when told it was coming out her vagina. We don’t expect parents to teach their children about math and science. Why do we rely on them for sexual education? Especially when most parents don’t fully understand reproduction.

Better sex education and support for children who are born would be a start. Easy access to birth control would be a bonus. If you don’t have unwanted pregnancies you have far fewer women seeking out abortion.

You’d be shocked how many pregnant women don’t understand the biology of how they get pregnant. Abstinence only sex education is a joke. I had a patient (mid-20s) in medical school who thought her baby would be born out her butthole and was totally shocked when told it was coming out her vagina. We don’t expect parents to teach their children about math and science. Why do we rely on them for sexual education? Especially when most parents don’t fully understand reproduction.

This is 100% correct. One of our pregnant medical assistants in our office pointed to the bladder on a model and said that was were her baby was coming from.

• Wow
Reactions: naturalmwa

That's what the "pro-lifers" don't understand. There's a big difference between being pro-birth and "pro-life."

Reactions: naturalmwa
What do other animals do with unwanted babies? What makes human life so special?

In all seriousness, there is no middle ground. Abortion is either murder or it isn’t. I get most annoyed when people make exceptions for rape or if the child will have health complications (since we don’t do that for youth handicapped later in “life”). If you want to draw a line on a time limit I’m probably ok with that

I don’t believe it’s murder and should be legal, but would never be involved in one

...the issue of abortion? One side says that it's a women's choice whether, and when, to carry to term or end a pregnancy prematurely. The other side says that all life from conception to natural death is sacred. What is the middle ground? How do the two sides come together on this issue?
If you don't have at least 2 adopted kids living with you, then you shouldn't be telling people they have to create govt slaves....

I'm pro life and I'm absolutely for some exceptions.
Exceptions that would seldom if ever come into play....rape and incest....how often? Seldom if ever.....
What about the ol’ prom night, couple of drinks...and the prom dress is on the floor scenario? What about the teenagers who se birth control is withdrawal...”Sory I was late...but just a little got in there!” I think most 16 year olds need to be raising babies...and single moms not receiving any financial support...well, is that a recipe for child success or what?

I'm just pointing out your inconsistencies.
I don't have any inconsistencies. I also am not going to answer every silly, meaningless, or gotcha question thrown my way. I'm typically engaged in more one on one interactions on here than anyone else because I have polarizing viewpoints that trigger so many people. That's fine, but I'm not going to run around chasing my tail answering the same questions over and over to assuage someone else's feelings.

politics-abortion-abortion_right-gun_control-gun_law-gun_debate-pfen1552_low.jpg

Reactions: TheCainer
I don't have any inconsistencies. I also am not going to answer every silly, meaningless, or gotcha question thrown my way. I'm typically engaged in more one on one interactions on here than anyone else because I have polarizing viewpoints that trigger so many people. That's fine, but I'm not going to run around chasing my tail answering the same questions over and over to assuage someone else's feelings.
That fact that you can't process those inconsistencies tells me and the world all we need to know.

Last edited:
In summation, there is no middle ground on the issue of abortion. One side views abortion, in any form, as morally unacceptable. The other side ranges from the allowance of unfettered abortion to abortion in most, or at least some, cases. These two positions are irreconcilable.

Reactions: Coronavirus186
In summation, there is no middle ground on the issue of abortion. One side views abortion, in any form, as morally unacceptable. The other side ranges from the allowance of unfettered abortion to abortion in most, or at least some, cases. These two positions are irreconcilable.

Maybe overturning Roe v Wade is the compromise. Allow states to decide their rules and people choose where to live.

Maybe overturning Roe v Wade is the compromise. Allow states to decide their rules and people choose where to live.
That's the closest I'd be willing to go. I think it's a repugnant practice, but I also believe in the federalist system and governmental control closest to the source (we the people) as possible. Also, the fact that it took this long for someone to bring up this possible solution is very telling. So many on here look to the government to be the hammer that pounds dissenters into oblivion.

Last edited:
Science vs. emotions

The only science involved in the subject of abortion is that a human life is ended.
And to date.....how many "human lives" have been terminated? I bet my guess of ZERO is closer to the fact than whatever your guess is. Until a "birth date" is officially changed to a conception date bill, you have no leg to stand upon. Unless you are claiming yourself to being morally/ethically superior to many of us....and that is purely a subjective argument.

What would keep someone from crossing a state border to a legal state and have the abortion there?

Ah....but the rub here is most women are not only citizens of a state...they are citizens of this nation......and therefore they have rights, regardless of where the legally reside. This nation fought a civil war 150 years ago....partially over this very issue....and the side defending "state's rights" lost the war.....

Ah....but the rub here is most women are not only citizens of a state...they are citizens of this nation......and therefore they have rights, regardless of where the legally reside. This nation fought a civil war 150 years ago....partially over this very issue....and the side defending "state's rights" lost the war.....
If Congress and the courts make it a law that life begins at conception then your argument becomes invalid.

...the issue of abortion? One side says that it's a women's choice whether, and when, to carry to term or end a pregnancy prematurely. The other side says that all life from conception to natural death is sacred. What is the middle ground? How do the two sides come together on this issue?
The morning after pill. Fertilized egg cannot implant and grow. You are not destroying a fetus/zygote/whatever as it is more akin to not performing life saving measures.

The morning after pill. Fertilized egg cannot implant and grow. You are not destroying a fetus/zygote/whatever as it is more akin to not performing life saving measures.
An argument can be made that implantation is the start of the human life cycle. That would answer questions regarding IVF and certain birth control methods.

My opinion has been that abortion should be illegal EXCEPT in the case of rape or incest. And just to stop lame cries of such, a police report must be filed stating that it happened.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT