ADVERTISEMENT

What is the proper etiquette?

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002
The VP of my business unit sent me an e-card Happy Birthday. Respond or don't respond? I feel like if I were to respond, it would be like Clark thanking Mr. Shirely in Christmas Vacation.

783cc2cd-19bf-470a-9afb-f5c0b139f084_text.gif

The VP of my business unit sent me an e-card Happy Birthday. Respond or don't respond? I feel like if I were to respond, it would be like Clark thanking Mr. Shirely in Christmas Vacation.

No need to respond for the following reasons:

- His admin likely set it up
- If you reply the possibility it originated from an alias could cause it to land in his spam folder
- If he couldn’t personally send it then no need to respond in kind (note this rule does not apply to gifts)

Reactions: alaskanseminole
My CEO sends a generic card with a $100 Visa gift card and gives us the Friday of our birthday week off paid. I know for a fact he doesn't send them off, ever see the card, or even know when my birthday is, so I never send a thank you.

My CEO sends a generic card with a $100 Visa gift card and gives us the Friday of our birthday week off paid. I know for a fact he doesn't send them off, ever see the card, or even know when my birthday is, so I never send a thank you.
Worked all my life and never got any of this.
People are fortunate for this in my opinion.
Shows an appreciation of you and your work.

The answer for me would be dependent on whether or not you actually have any personal interaction with the VP, If he actually knows who you are I would thank him, If you are just another mindless drone in his eyes and he wouldn’t know you if you walked in his office I would pass.

Last edited:
The answer for me would be dependent on whether or not you actually have any personal interaction with the VP, If he actually knows who you are I would thank him, If you are just another mindless drone in his eyes and he wouldn’t know you if you walked in his office I would pass.
Supposedly he knows who I am because of a big project I was PMing. It came from his email address, but I'm pretty certain that someone is able to email on behalf of (I can for my boss). As soon as I read it, I thought of Clark Griswold.

My work does this and I hate it. Sends out the same company cards from an admin for birthdays, anniversary's, funerals, etc... it's so impersonal, if you're not going to send something that has a little meaning to it just skip sending it at all.

Reactions: BrianNole777
Worked all my life and never got any of this.
People are fortunate for this in my opinion.
Shows an appreciation of you and your work.
Our CEO started the company 22 years ago. He gets the long hours and what we sacrifice because he's done it. I remember when I was in my 3rd month and doing really well. I was exceeding my expectations every month by quite a bit, but had some major financial setbacks. I told my manager that I wasn't sure I'd be able to continue doing the job with the recent events and I would let him know after the meeting on Thursday. Thursday rolls around and I walk into our office in Des Moines for the meeting. The CEO is in my managers office and calls me in. I'm like well, I guess I'm getting fired so no need to quit.

He sits me down and talks numbers and what I'm going really well, what I can improve on and so fourth. Then he brings up the financial trouble. Asks me what I needed to get out. I didn't want to be aggressive so I said a couple grand probably gets us back on track. He said done, got my venmo, then hands me the company credit card and told me to book a suite at a hotel and take my wife out for steaks and bring the card back Monday. "Don't go easy on it". He drove from Madison WI to Des just to have that conversation with me. He left to go back right after we talked. 5 minutes after he left I get a text saying he sent the Venmo and it's a gift. There was $6000 in there.

Our CEO started the company 22 years ago. He gets the long hours and what we sacrifice because he's done it. I remember when I was in my 3rd month and doing really well. I was exceeding my expectations every month by quite a bit, but had some major financial setbacks. I told my manager that I wasn't sure I'd be able to continue doing the job with the recent events and I would let him know after the meeting on Thursday. Thursday rolls around and I walk into our office in Des Moines for the meeting. The CEO is in my managers office and calls me in. I'm like well, I guess I'm getting fired so no need to quit.

He sits me down and talks numbers and what I'm going really well, what I can improve on and so fourth. Then he brings up the financial trouble. Asks me what I needed to get out. I didn't want to be aggressive so I said a couple grand probably gets us back on track. He said done, got my venmo, then hands me the company credit card and told me to book a suite at a hotel and take my wife out for steaks and bring the card back Monday. "Don't go easy on it". He drove from Madison WI to Des just to have that conversation with me. He left to go back right after we talked. 5 minutes after he left I get a text saying he sent the Venmo and it's a gift. There was $6000 in there.
You still work for that company?

An ecard? Report it to IT as a suspicious possible phishing attempt while denying it's your birthday. That will be the most fun anyone's ever had with an ecard

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT