ADVERTISEMENT

What is the role of a fanbase?

InsaneHawk

HR All-American
Dec 15, 2002
Chicago, IL
After reading post after post about criticism of athletes, coaches, and the fanbase, I'm curious to see everyone's opinion regarding how they view the function of a fanbase.

Before you give your opinion, I think I need to specify that I am curious about your opinion on the role of the fanbase for D1 teams like Iowa and not the role of fanbases at every level of athletics. It's important to make this distinction as obviously there can be sports teams without a fanbase; however, once the sports team becomes a revenue generating component of a business, in this case an athletic department, a fanbase becomes a requirement. So, with that said, I see two ends of the fanbase spectrum:

Is the fanbase to be just a cheerleader? In this case always cheering on the team, supporting anyone who plays for the team or coaches the team, and to be a consistent revenue stream win or lose.

OR

Is the fanbase to be just a consumer? In this case viewing the sports team as a consumable commodity; consistently demanding a better product and using dollars to voice opinions ultimately eliminating loyalties to players/coaches based upon end results.

With the sports team's dependency on revenue, I cannot see how the relationship survives completely being on the cheerleader side of the spectrum; however, on the other end, I can't see a player, at this level of athletics, wanting to be treated like a commodity. So, what's the answer?

Good call on specifying the level of competition. If we are talking peewee football the "fans" should be always positive. When we are talking about this high of a level of competition and the amount of money being thrown around by all parties the fans are responsible for letting thier intentions known with thier pocketbook.

Good thread btw nice to have a talking point that is relevant but not a dead horse.

This post was edited on 3/14 1:39 PM by HAWK-N-402 (4)

I talked with a Kentucky fan recently that said their site is bitching non stop because with all that NBA talent they should be winning games by more than they are. Nothing is ever good enough for these types of fans. I am not even sure those people are fans.

To me fans should always be supportive. I have a hard time buying most of the fans here are Iowa fans. It's one thing to mention weaknesses and lapses in play and coaching but when your entire existence seems to be dedicated to bitching about everything I think its obvious you are not a fan. You can't claim to be a die hard Hawk fan and then show that you can't stand anything about the Hawks.

If your team is good be supportive. If they suck be supportive.

In the end it doesn't matter what the role of fans are because they are nothing to the end result. Me being sunshine and puppies helps no more than the constant dream queen complaining that goes on here daily. I

its just entertainment. Nothing more nothing less. If you are living and dying off of accomplishments and failures in which you had not part in then I believe it's time for you to step away. However, the constant sand in the vagina crying that goes on here is quite amusing.

Originally posted by heat_dawg:
I talked with a Kentucky fan recently that said their site is bitching non stop because with all that NBA talent they should be winning games by more than they are. Nothing is ever good enough for these types of fans. I am not even sure those people are fans.

To me fans should always be supportive. I have a hard time buying most of the fans here are Iowa fans. It's one thing to mention weaknesses and lapses in play and coaching but when your entire existence seems to be dedicated to bitching about everything I think its obvious you are not a fan. You can't claim to be a die hard Hawk fan and then show that you can't stand anything about the Hawks.

If your team is good be supportive. If they suck be supportive.*

In the end it doesn't matter what the role of fans are because they are nothing to the end result. Me being sunshine and puppies helps no more than the constant dream queen complaining that goes on here daily. I

its just entertainment. Nothing more nothing less. If you are living and dying off of accomplishments and failures in which you had not part in then I believe it's time for you to step away. However, the constant sand in the vagina crying that goes on here is quite amusing.
*From your couch, if you remembered to DVR the game while you were out fishing.

Originally posted by heat_dawg:

If your team is good be supportive. If they suck be supportive.

You've just described yourself. I've never seen a poster like you, who's entire reason for coming on here is to piss and moan about what others post.. You've reached Kilroy levels. Lately,you're doing the same thing on the basketball board. You might want to look in to getting some professional help.

a fan is suppose to support the players and team in General WIN or LOSE, none of you OWN THIS TEAM. these players are supposed to be STUDENTS 1st and ATHLETES 2nd, some where along the lines so called fans have lost sight of this MAJOR FACT. that these players are STUDENTS and should be viewed as such,

go follow the Bears, Packers, Rams, Vikings or Cheifs if all you can do is rip the players and call for coaches to get fired as those are the true PROFESSIONALS. THEY DRAFT PLAYERS THEN PAY THOSE PLAYERS 6 figures or more to play the games. when a player in the PRO's does not perform they get cut and then the team trades or drafts a replacement,

KF cannot trade or draft the players to replace to players that are gone, remember in the Pro's PLAYERS DRAFTED have no choice but to play for the team that drafted him. in colleges PLAYERS GET TO CHOOSE WHICH SCHOOL THEY PLAY FOR.

maybe Colleges should go the PRO route all the way and start a draft with the same stipulation as to where these HS players go to play, no freedom of choices for Amatuers of any sport. just to appease these so called FANS.

If effort is there, I choose to cheer.

Maybe it's because I lived it and know the time, effort and sacrifice that goes into it.

When it looks like the team isn't giving it all, I get cranky. That's rarely the case.

I love this question. What has happened in the fan experience for college athletics is truly fascinating to me. I'd love to write a book about it.

What seems to be missed in my view is fan desires or motivation is largely misaligned from the goals of the University. The "product" demanded by most fans is wins and an exciting team. The University wants teams that support it's brand and bring in revenue. Winning absolutely helps that goal and carries weight, but it's far behind risk of negative press, graduation rates and growing future leaders in society. This is why KF's value is infinitely higher to the administration than the fan base - he's safe and their evaluation tools and risk tolerance are different than the average fan. And yes...... He's clearly overpaid by both philosophies today.

So what do I think the fans roll should be? First, acknowledgement of the universities mission is extremely important. "Just win baby" should never be in the conversation because it's not in the minds of decision makers. We also shouldn't "demand" wins and should never boo and heckle poor performance, but if you don't attend games or watch because the team stinks that's ok with me. Bottom line - this is supposed to be fun. To many fans seem to experience sports with pain and I just don't get that

It's definitely a tough question. I have a huge opinion about going to games. As a fan I desire to go to games. But the university sets the price on tickets. With the price they set on tickets it now turns into an investment. It's not about being a fan anymore. If the games are easily affordable to me I go. Eventually it turns into a return of investment if you decide to go to the games. People on here try to pretend like these things don't matter but they make a huge difference. When your charging $60 for a football game your creating expectations.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

This post is very accurate. The price/value relationship creates a ROI psychology to the consumer. Since the price of the entertainment is at the highest end of what most people are willing to spend, the expectations grow greater. It becomes an emotional investment too. It's not that I am getting entertained for $60 but now for me to have a great experience at the entertainment I want/need to win. Think of it as going to a play and whether or not the play is good, it's $60 but I am more likely to keep coming back if the experience and production were satisfying.

Ok, despite all that, the fan base should ideally be the true support and energy, vibe,etc. behind a program. What is missed a bit is how this vibe has been shaped and changed with the big $$ in college sports, the evolution of ESPN, other sports networks and marketing of the the 5 power conferences. This is not Hoosiers any more. Not only does Iowa, for example, need to keep our fans happy/engaged, but Iowa has to fight extra hard to stay relevant within the Big Ten hierarchy as well as with the national media. This is why I am extremely critical of U of I's sports marketing ( or lack thereof) department. We have to work harder to make Iowa an attractive destination and these guys could screw up a 2 car funeral!

My final thoughts are that if fans can stay positive, find the silver linings but also not have their head in the sand, we can support our teams through thick/thin. If you have issues, go to the administration but don't take it out on the "teams" themselves.

Originally posted by kzoohawk80:
It's definitely a tough question. I have a huge opinion about going to games. As a fan I desire to go to games. But the university sets the price on tickets. With the price they set on tickets it now turns into an investment. It's not about being a fan anymore. If the games are easily affordable to me I go. Eventually it turns into a return of investment if you decide to go to the games. People on here try to pretend like these things don't matter but they make a huge difference. When your charging $60 for a football game your creating expectations.
Very good post.While the student athlete part will always ring true. The bottom line is that sports has become big business, When money is involved, Expectations do grow. College sports are competing for your entertainment dollars. When you pay college coaches millions per year, Expectations come with those dollars.
The one thing that does really irk me is when some fans get personal in regard to players, Calling them names, Making up derogatory nick names, Etc. IMO that is totally classless.

Originally posted by hawkisak:
This post is very accurate. The price/value relationship creates a ROI psychology to the consumer. Since the price of the entertainment is at the highest end of what most people are willing to spend, the expectations grow greater. It becomes an emotional investment too. It's not that I am getting entertained for $60 but now for me to have a great experience at the entertainment I want/need to win. Think of it as going to a play and whether or not the play is good, it's $60 but I am more likely to keep coming back if the experience and production were satisfying.

Ok, despite all that, the fan base should ideally be the true support and energy, vibe,etc. behind a program. What is missed a bit is how this vibe has been shaped and changed with the big $$ in college sports, the evolution of ESPN, other sports networks and marketing of the the 5 power conferences. This is not Hoosiers any more. Not only does Iowa, for example, need to keep our fans happy/engaged, but Iowa has to fight extra hard to stay relevant within the Big Ten hierarchy as well as with the national media. This is why I am extremely critical of U of I's sports marketing ( or lack thereof) department. We have to work harder to make Iowa an attractive destination and these guys could screw up a 2 car funeral!

My final thoughts are that if fans can stay positive, find the silver linings but also not have their head in the sand, we can support our teams through thick/thin. If you have issues, go to the administration but don't take it out on the "teams" themselves.
Very well said.

I'm going to cheer my hardest for Iowa to win. Does my role as a fan mean I can't be critical of players and coaches for poor performance? Am I not allowed to have expectations? Can I decide not to go to games if I don't like the results and the level of excitement of the game? Of course there has to be objectivity when being critical or positive of anything. And that's where the debates start on here. Are people being objective?

Originally posted by InsaneHawk:
After reading post after post about criticism of athletes, coaches, and the fanbase, I'm curious to see everyone's opinion regarding how they view the function of a fanbase.

Before you give your opinion, I think I need to specify that I am curious about your opinion on the role of the fanbase for D1 teams like Iowa and not the role of fanbases at every level of athletics. It's important to make this distinction as obviously there can be sports teams without a fanbase; however, once the sports team becomes a revenue generating component of a business, in this case an athletic department, a fanbase becomes a requirement. So, with that said, I see two ends of the fanbase spectrum:

Is the fanbase to be just a cheerleader? In this case always cheering on the team, supporting anyone who plays for the team or coaches the team, and to be a consistent revenue stream win or lose.

OR

Is the fanbase to be just a consumer? In this case viewing the sports team as a consumable commodity; consistently demanding a better product and using dollars to voice opinions ultimately eliminating loyalties to players/coaches based upon end results.

With the sports team's dependency on revenue, I cannot see how the relationship survives completely being on the cheerleader side of the spectrum; however, on the other end, I can't see a player, at this level of athletics, wanting to be treated like a commodity. So, what's the answer?
This much I do know. Without fans, there would be a whole hell of a lot more prime real estate around the country, in places where millions of seats now preside. That, and you'd have a whole lot more horrible reality TV to navigate around!

All ya have to remember is that the ones who are always complaining complain about everything in their life.That doesn't mean they're not fans.They just don't know any better.

To make the players and the coaches rich. And if you can't make the players or assistant coaches rich, the fans can at least make the head coach the richest state employee in Iowa history.

Originally posted by Scott559:

Originally posted by kzoohawk80:
Very good post.While the student athlete part will always ring true. The bottom line is that sports has become big business, When money is involved, Expectations do grow. College sports are competing for your entertainment dollars. When you pay college coaches millions per year, Expectations come with those dollars.
The one thing that does really irk me is when some fans get personal in regard to players, Calling them names, Making up derogatory nick names, Etc. IMO that is totally classless.
Good point lot of people anymore go over board ripping on players. Fran said it best when he was on taste of coaching with seth davis it is disgusting some of the things people tweet to his players. As original post stated it has turned into an investment with the ever rising price in games. Coaches, especially the HC, I think are a little more open to criticism because when you make the big bucks (in any profession) that is one of the cons you get with the gig.

On an individual level, the team owes me nothing, and I owe the team nothing. If I died tomorrow, nothing would change for them, and if, for some reason, you told me tomorrow that I could not attend/watch Hawkeye football games tomorrow, it might suck for a bit, but I would survive.
As a group, I think not being an ass to "amateur" players is a pretty good place to start. Mocking them is a super dick move, but I do not think stating you feel one player is better than another is out of bounds.
As far as adding money to the coffers, that, to me, is 100% a business decision. I do not owe them a certain dollar value every year, nor do I even owe them my TV viewing. I try to get to games when I am back in IA and the team is worth my time, money and effort.

Side note: for those who bitch about people who do not attend games, the TV revenue outstrips ticket sales, so just STFU about those of us who do not live close enough, or have the time/money/desire to have season tickets.

Originally posted by DianaMoonGlampers:
On an individual level, the team owes me nothing, and I owe the team nothing. If I died tomorrow, nothing would change for them, and if, for some reason, you told me tomorrow that I could not attend/watch Hawkeye football games tomorrow, it might suck for a bit, but I would survive.
As a group, I think not being an ass to "amateur" players is a pretty good place to start. Mocking them is a super dick move, but I do not think stating you feel one player is better than another is out of bounds.
As far as adding money to the coffers, that, to me, is 100% a business decision. I do not owe them a certain dollar value every year, nor do I even owe them my TV viewing. I try to get to games when I am back in IA and the team is worth my time, money and effort.

Side note: for those who bitch about people who do not attend games, the TV revenue outstrips ticket sales, so just STFU about those of us who do not live close enough, or have the time/money/desire to have season tickets.
I don't think that anyone has done that. I think most people are clearly aware that most Iowa fans are unable to attend games to due the logistics. What I don't care for is a certain poster who has alluded to multiple times that criticism of the program means one is not a true fan of the team. The poster said this after admitting they often miss the games while fishing, then come home and decide based on how the game played out if they want to watch the recording or not.

As far as TV money is concerned, I also contribute to the TV revenue the same as people who do not attend games, I and about 55k others also pay season ticket prices, "donation" prices, and parking among other costs associated with going to games. So I'm not sure where the first sentence is coming from.

Originally posted by ThatsFootball:

I don't think that anyone has done that. I think most people are clearly aware that most Iowa fans are unable to attend games to due the logistics. What I don't care for is a certain poster who has alluded to multiple times that criticism of the program means one is not a true fan of the team. The poster said this after admitting they often miss the games while fishing, then come home and decide based on how the game played out if they want to watch the recording or not.

As far as TV money is concerned, I also contribute to the TV revenue the same as people who do not attend games, I and about 55k others also pay season ticket prices, "donation" prices, and parking among other costs associated with going to games. So I'm not sure where the first sentence is coming from.
*From your couch, if you remembered to DVR the game while you were out fishing. Thatsfootball

I don't know if you bitch about it, but on numerous occasions you love to insinuate they are a 'lesser' fan, haven't you?

Originally posted by MattFoleyHawk:

*From your couch, if you remembered to DVR the game while you were out fishing. Thatsfootball

I don't know if you bitch about it, but on numerous occasions you love to insinuate they are a 'lesser' fan, haven't you?

Apparently reading the rest of that paragraph was too challenging for you...

I'll spell it out for you since you had problems finishing the paragraph. I've never called out someone for being a lesser fan for anything, whether they moan about the hawks all day or drink Kool-Aid with Kilroy, because I don't believe there are requirements for being a fan of a sports team. I called a certain poster out when he alludes to others not being true fans because they have legitimate criticisms of the team, while admitting that he often misses viewing games and decides to not watch them if the outcome is not to his liking.

Is that really that hard to understand from my first post?

Of course we're here as fans to support the team, and in general that means we provide a 12th man aspect at home games and a road warrior aspect when we can follow them to the away games.

But a lot of our time and effort go into that, and like others have said the price of the tickets / parking / etc makes a difference. I don't tend to complain much if my McChicken sandwich is a bit sloppy, but if my $50 ribeye isn't done right at the steakhouse, I might voice some displeasure...

There is another angle to Iowa football though, and that's the "relationship" with the head coach. He has been in his role for 16 years, makes an awful lot of money (we have already covered why this matters), and doesn't necessarily treat us with any respect - refusing to answer questions from the press, refusing to play the best players, refusing to hold his assistants accountable for their performance, etc.

The team has to give back to us as well. Show some fire and make plays so we can feed off each other emotionally. This would also be a good place to remind the university that the game day atmosphere is stale and needs improvement.

I think in about 500 words or so, I've explained a lot of the reasons for the emotional state of us as Hawkeye football fans.

Interesting topic. I know most are in agreement that "college athletics" is now a big-time business. With gazilion-dollar stadium renovations, tv money, coaching salaries ... well, it's a far cry from the Nike Kinnick days.

So where does the fan fit in? Support your team at all costs - win or lose? Call out the coaches or players when they lose? Do you stop attending games? Do you stop making donations? Are you a die-hard Hawk? Or, are you a Hawk fan but really couldn't tell anyone who starts on the defensive line?

There are lots of factors that play into being a "fan" ... Here is my perspective:

* I am a die-hard. Have been for 35+ years. From the day I was old enough to remember life, I have cheered for the Hawks
* I attended Iowa State (only because I liked its journalism school). I worked for the school newspaper as a sports reporter. During that time, I would still proudly don my black and gold.
* After college I moved to Oregon. Lived out West for about 5 years
* Moved to Des Moines about 18 years ago
* Got my first tattoo (Tiger Hawk)
* Joined the Polk-County I-Club Board
* Attended pretty much ever home game and after 6 years of doing that decided I might as well purchase season tickets
* Had season tickets for 10 years
* Left Des Moines every Fall Saturday at 5 am; in tailgating spot by 6:30 am
* Had the tent set up; grill ... full-blown tailgate ...
* The last few years the product started to become very average ... we were losing to teams who had no business beating us. In 2012, a very average ISU came into Kinnick and beat us ... That was my last home game at Kinnick
* After the 2012 campaign I canceled my tickets ... Could not jutify paying for 2 season tickets + the cost to have the seats ...
* Tailgating was fun ... but that was only part of the day. Getting inside Kinnick and watching exciting Iowa football; seeing us beat the Michigans or Penn States ... Kinnick used to be rocking
* I attended the 2003 and 2010 Orange Bowls ... Amazing time.
* After 2012 ... I watched the games from home. And slowly, I just started DVRing the games instead of wasting 3 hours of my Saturday watching us lose at home to Northwern Illinois, etc.
* It's been a gradual process. When before, I would have missed a wedding, etc., if the Hawks were playing. Now, I DVR the game and skip through it and will stop to watch if it looks like they came to play
* Sadly ... the product on the field has gotten worse. This reminds of of Hayden's final years ... Where he was convinced he still had it in him ...
* Kirk has a roster filled with too many walkons ... We are one of the "whitest" teams in major Division 1 football ... Think about that for a moment ... Name another major Division 1 football program who at any given time was playing 8 or 9 white guys on offense and/or defense. With the exception of maybe BYU, I can't think of any ... It is what it is ... but sorry folks, the reality is we aren't going to compete for Big 10 titles with slow white guys running the football ... and slow, plodding white guys on the DLine ... and scrawny white-guy, walkon linebackers from Minona or Webster City ... My hole point being ... that is the reality of Iowa football. That is who we have become. It's a harsh reality.
* I still cheer for the Hawks ... I will still watch them on TV. But, I won't spend a dime to watch them in person. Why should I? If you are going to ask me to spend close to $400 a season ticket plus my costs just to have the seat ... why should I not expect a good product on the field. If this isn't about winning and losing ... and if it isn't aboiut money, then just let fans in for $10.
* It's like going to an expensive restaurant ... Would you continue to go that same expensive restaurant ... if the service was not very good? If the $50 steak you ordered was always overcooked? Would you keep going? Even though you have had enough experiences to know the chances are good your expensive steak won't turn out well?
* I don't ever believe in calling out players by name... They are kids ... They are kids who had enough talent to get a scholarship to wear the Black and Gold. As for the coaches, well, that is a different story. This is Kirk's show. His coaches, his recruits, his game-day decisions ... In the last 4 seasons Kirk is .500 ... Next year, we will be .500. After that, the Big Boys come back onto the schedule and Iowa will not get any more than 6 wins ...
* For the fans who like to call other fans out by saying: "Well, you aren't a real fan anyway." Or, "well, go cheer for the Cyclones then," or "You are just a bandwagon fan ..." Well, guess what ... as a Hawk fan of 35+ years, season ticket holder, Polk-County I-Club Board member ... I think I have earned the right to not be labeled a "fair-weather" fan.
* I love the Hawks. Always will. But right now, the program is in a downward spiral. And I WILL NOT support the 2 men responsible for this continued spiral downward: Gary Barta and Kirk Ferentz.
* If/when someone else snapped up my season tickets ... well ... good for them ... For me, I don't miss it at all. I feel good knowing my money is not supporting an AD and head coach who basically have thumbed their noses at the Iowa fanbase. The only people who can make change happen in Iowa City is us (the fans). But if you continue to buy your season tickets ... you are letting Kirk and Gary know that "hey, win or lose, I still support you." ... Well guess what ... that is why Kirk is still here ... That is why Gary is still here. And that is why they won't be going anywhere, anytime soon.
* Iowa fans ... expect more from your Hawks ... We aren't Coe College ... We aren't Drake ... We are in the Big 10 conference, have some of the nicest facilities in the country ... we offer huge chunk of change to our head coach ... and what he is delivering now is unacceptable ... It's average ... You are paying $70 for a sirloin steak ...

My point of view is how does the other side view us? To the university and its employees (AD, coaches, etc) we are revenue. They rake in the money from college sports. So in speaking of those people it is a business. If they want happy customers, they better put a good product on the field or reduce the price accordingly.

To the players, it is a collegiate sport (ignoring the aspect that they hope to go pro someday). They don't really get paid. They get tuition to cover the time they invest which I feel is a good exchange. I will always root for the players, not boo them or attack them publicly.

Caveat, I do reserve the right to suggest the coach should be playing player x as long as I am not criticizing player y. Just saying X deserves more time on the field.

Nailed it. 2012 was my final association with Kinnick stadium and KF. Got to the point where I felt I was practically dragging myself to a game. Used to start getting pumped up on Wed. or Thurs. Thirty three years as a season ticket holder. Started in Hayden's second year. Grew up in Iowa City and attended games from early '60's maybe late '50's. Sold concessions at Kinnick. By the way, having vendors return to selling food and drinks inside "the bowl" at Kinnick would probably shorten the lines at the concession stands. The remodel didn't help. Great analogy comparing Kinnick and Iowa football NOW with a steak! Dull football. Why aren't the Iowa assistant coaches getting ripped away every year? Not wanted and they know they have a cush job. Very odd not to be in Kinnick these last two years, but much more relaxing. And my wife and I have NEVER left Kinnick or Carver before 0:00 was on the game clock.

The fans are nothing to the end result???? God foley, your stupidity embarrasses me as a former Iowan. WITH NO FANS THERE IS NO PROGRAM!!!! If 10,000 pople show up a game this fall, Kirk is fired. How's that for affecting end result? Just like any other this is a business (in entertainment biz to be exact) that will (is) losing customers when they ignore them and deliver a bad/boring product over a long time. And this biz has high prices when u consider ticket prices and logistics along with the incoviences of getting to and being in an old, crowded stadium for 3.5 hrs. Considering what people invest in $, time, and emotion into this biz, if they don't get s decent return on investment, they leave. Having coach throw jabs at "what average fans" know is too much. We average fans know diminishing talent, unbearable conservitism and vanilla schemes when we have been watching them for a decade.

Newsflash: you can be very critical of a team and still be a fan. Loyalty is great but blind loyalty is dangerous. The people calling for his head in 06, 07 you might be able to question their loyalty and how realistic their expectations were, but its been a decade of mostly disappointment so fan unrest is totally justified.

If u don't think Iowa should do better on the field and recruiting trail you must not think much of this university. And must have amnesia because we have done it before. True fans want to see us succeed, not make excuses or try to lower expectations when we don't. Members of homer nation.....grow up!

I can't believe how simple this is.

If you root for the team to win, you are a fan. If you root for the team to lose, then you aren't. I don't care one bit about excuses for regime changes, etc. If Kirk went undefeated next year, you wouldn't be happy?

Originally posted by trippnschmidt:

If you root for the team to win, you are a fan. If you root for the team to lose, then you aren't. I don't care one bit about excuses for regime changes, etc. If Kirk went undefeated next year, you wouldn't be happy?
I don't think many (any?) here would disagree with that. Do you encounter many people claiming to be Iowa fans that root against the Hawks? I hope you understand that criticism of the program =/= rooting for them to lose.

Originally posted by trippnschmidt:

I don't think many (any?) here would disagree with that. Do you encounter many people claiming to be Iowa fans that root against the Hawks? I hope you understand that criticism of the program =/= rooting for them to lose.
I am going to play the Devil's Advocate here and ask, can you be a fan if you root for the team/program but against individuals in the program which many on this site do? Can/should unsatisfaction/displeasure be expessed without personal criticisms?

Temper's the one thing you can't get rid of, by losing it.

This post was edited on 3/26 11:40 PM by BuddyRydell

I root for civility and good sportmanship. I could care less about winning or losing. I feel that fan base is responsible for buying as many hot dogs and sodas as possible. I like footballs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT