ADVERTISEMENT

What position/group will have your focus through spring practices?

Wasnt-drunk-didnt-troll

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Sep 11, 2017
There will be fair amount of change in the lineup this year and definitely not a right or wrong answer. I find myself focused most on who will take over at center. A solid qb/ center relationship and getting the next guy in will be very important for the O. What say you?

There will be fair amount of change in the lineup this year and definitely not a right or wrong answer. I find myself focused most on who will take over at center. A solid qb/ center relationship and getting the next guy in will be very important for the O. What say you?

All of them.

Seriously, linebacker will get a ton of attention, as it should

none, because...

hqdefault.jpg

I'm focused on All groups. I want to see what we have in the secondary. Does our secondary become a no fly zone? I also want to see what happens With Stanley and the passing game. I want to see the best year by a QB in Iowa history! DL piques my interest as well. Have we put together a truely dominant group that can control games and bring us back to prominence.

LB OL and WR are default points of interest for obvious reasons.

Linebacker is a pretty crucial spot to watch. It is huge.

The receivers are interesting as well. I'm of the opinion that the Hawks are just one quality downfield receiver from jumping about 75 spots in offensive production. I'm very optimistic about the offense and this spot is huge.

I think the LB’s will be surprising good as the season progresses.. I think iowa will be faster there overall, I’m sure there will be growing pains there of course but I’m hopeful they’ll be up to snuff mid season. I also think with a projected good D Line will help everyone behind them as well.

There will be some interesting position battles and as the OP said there is no wrong answer about the groups. But I agree with Norman. We have some very good players who are short on game experience. Read and react, as Hayden said it is different when they are out there and the bullets are flyin'. Didn't Welch play a game at MLB when Jewell was hurt?

Niemann, Mends, Jones, Hockaday, we've got the players. A talented D-Line will help their learning curve.

I look at that safety/lb spot with optimism. We should be REALLY strong at both safeties and there are enough bodies that LB should be serviceable.

I too think he eventually finds his way to the field. Just not as a running back.

Evans is a guy I'm really excited for. Much like Easley he isn't the fastest, tallest, most acrobatic WR but the dude is a solid football player and like Evans they both seem to understand the value of a yard. I think Evans might have just a little more spark in the open feild, but Easley has put up some really impressive quickness drills lately. All good things.

Reactions: nwhawkincr
1. LB/ mends time now?
2. WR/ can D.Young make a move up the dc
3. DB/ like to see Stone & Hooker @ S spots
4. DL/ how much more will aj & gholston play & will lattimore take the next step.
D. Young? No.

The entire team .... but seriously.. the LB, WR and Oline as most people would agree but the most important is a tie to me with the oline and LB’s for sure

LB will be interesting. I think Welch is the only lock to play at either MLB or LEO. I’d be surprised if we don’t see Hockaday at MLB or the Will. I think Mends,Colbert, Niemann, and Jones fight for the 3rd spot. Maybe we will see a rotation early on.

Tackles should be formidable. I like that we have experienced seniors in the interior. Usually the light comes on in your final year. If we can find a center, it could be a pretty effective group. Hopefully we will be able to compliment them with an effective screen and short passing game.

I think the wideouts could surprise this year. With ISM and Easely poised to get the lions share of targets out wide. We will only need one maybe two other consistent performers to emerge from Smith, Cooper, Nico, Young, and Tracey. I like our odds.

Lockett and Evans will be two great guys to put in the Doyle oven. Let em cook for awhile.

With 3 really good pass catching tightends in Fant, Hock, and Beyer, I don’t see much of a reason to ever play more than 3 wide recievers.

Stanley is going to have a lot around him. I think the team knows their potential and where they want to be. Hopefully they can find some leaders. I think we have some in the secondary and on the Dline.

Stanley needs to be the man

Last edited:
STANLEY IS THE MAN!

LB will be interesting. I think Welch is the only lock to play at either MLB or LEO. I’d be surprised if we don’t see Hockaday at MLB or the Will. I think Mends,Colbert, Niemann, and Jones fight for the 3rd spot. Maybe we will see a rotation early on.

Tackles should be formidable. I like that we have experienced seniors in the interior. Usually the light comes on in your final year. If we can find a center, it could be a pretty effective group. Hopefully we will be able to compliment them with an effective screen and short passing game.

I think the wideouts could surprise this year. With ISM and Easely poised to get the lions share of targets out wide. We will only need one maybe two other consistent performers to emerge from Smith, Cooper, Nico, Young, and Tracey. I like our odds.

Lockett and Evans will be two great guys to put in the Doyle oven. Let em cook for awhile.

With 3 really good pass catching tightends in Fant, Hock, and Beyer, I don’t see much of a reason to ever play more than 3 wide recievers.

Stanley is going to have a lot around him. I think the team knows their potential and where they want to be. Hopefully they can find some leaders. I think we have some in the secondary and on the Dline.

Stanley needs to be the man

Reactions: Hawk94Mn
I would have said linebacker but after thinking more into it I'm actually more interested in seeing how our running backs look. Considering how Stanley throw the Deep ball more often on play-action I think without a good set of running backs it won't matter what our tight end or wide receivers look like.

Reactions: Harbinger273
Well said, however can he take the beating of a running back carry after carry? Me thinks he needs a year in the weight room and use him this year as a PR or KOR... little by little to bring him on.. if he’s that good and he probably is KF and co will find a place for him ASAP ... I hope they find a place as we definitely and desperately need the speed that burns and kills .. mainly our special teams as I stated need a lift and get some long kickoff or punt returns and bring IOWA back to the days where special teams were truly special .. and that wasn’t too long ago

QUOTE="Wasnt-drunk-didnt-troll, post: 5247273, member: 88956"]Evans is a guy I'm really excited for. Much like Easley he isn't the fastest, tallest, most acrobatic WR but the dude is a solid football player and like Evans they both seem to understand the value of a yard. I think Evans might have just a little more spark in the open feild, but Easley has put up some really impressive quickness drills lately. All good things.[/QUOTE]

Well said, however can he take the beating of a running back carry after carry? Me thinks he needs a year in the weight room and use him this year as a PR or KOR... little by little to bring him on.. if he’s that good and he probably is KF and co will find a place for him ASAP ... I hope they find a place as we definitely and desperately need the speed that burns and kills .. mainly our special teams as I stated need a lift and get some long kickoff or punt returns and bring IOWA back to the days where special teams were truly special .. and that wasn’t too long ago.

I think the Tracy kid has a really good shot at ending up a return guy as a fresh.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT