ADVERTISEMENT

What song (or songs) immediately remind you of your childhood?

Feb 9, 2013
Whenever I hear “Don’t You Forget About Me” by Simple Minds I’m transported right back to high school.

And anything by Glen Campbell or John Denver takes me back to our cross-country trips in the 70s. Windows down and 8-track cranked up. Good times.

There are others but those are the most vivid. What about you?

I got scooped by millah
Shrek GIF

I was in 6th grade when Run DMC raising hell and Beastie Boy Licensed to Ill came out.

That was a gateway for the rap music i listened to during the late 80s into the 90s

Any hair metal takes me back: Warrant, Skid Row, Poison, Motley Crue, Slaughter, Guns and Roses etc

Then the last couple years of high school it was Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Helmet type music.

Without a doubt anytime i hear a song from a hair metal band, especially if its a power ballad, it immediately takes me back to high school like none of the others i mention

Last edited:
I was in 6th grade when Run DMC raising hell and Beastie Boy Licensed to Ill came out.

That was a gateway for the rap music i listened to during the late 80s into the 90s

Any hair metal takes me back: Warrant, Skid Row, Poison, Motley Crue, Slaughter, Guns and Roses etc

Then the last couple years of high school it was Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Helmet type music.

Without a doubt anytime i hear a song from a hair metal band, especially if its a power ballad from, it immediately takes me back to high school in time like none of the others i mention
Good one. Hair band songs definitely do it - reminds me of later in high school driving around all day and night like in Dazed and Confused.

Wait, @Sharky1203 likes that song too? Is the sky still blue? 🤪
Like I've told many people on here, we may not have the same views on political stuff, but I bet if we sat down and had a beer or two, we'd find out we all have a lot in common. We may not end up BFFs, but I bet the respect would be garnered for each other.

There are so many... but basically 80s/90s stuff hit home. Anything from Queen, Van Halen, Huey Lewis, Bon Jovi, Run DMC, LL Cool J, Tribe Called Quest, Metallica, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Dre/Snoop/2 Pac, Biggie, etc, etc. All that said, when "It Takes Two" comes on I'm transported back to 8th grade instantly.

Whenever I hear “Don’t You Forget About Me” by Simple Minds I’m transported right back to high school.

And anything by Glen Campbell or John Denver takes me back to our cross-country trips in the 70s. Windows down and 8-track cranked up. Good times.

There are others but those are the most vivid. What about you?
Hundreds of them. First ones that come to mind:
  • girls just want to have fun
  • time after time
  • electric avenue
  • down under
  • magic
  • we're not going to take it
  • you have to fight for your right to party
  • every breath you take
  • cruel summer
  • you give love a bad name
  • walk like an egyption
  • beat it
  • let's go crazy
  • straight up
  • west end girls

Last edited:
Childhood? This, The Doors are my mom's favorite band and this is her favorite song. I still remember her putting the 8 track for this album in while driving somewhere and this coming on and her singing along, loudly.

Teen years? I listened to Fables of the Reconstruction constantly my Sr year of HS and this is my favorite song on the album. I hear this and can still picture pulling into the HS parking lot with this on WAY too loud

0-8. Bad Bad Leroy Brown, The Night Chicago Died, Brand New Key, The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia. Basically anything we had on 45’s in the 70’s.

9-14. Anything KISS. Bought Double Platinum as my first 8 Track and was a big fan of KISS. Also, East Bound and Down, Steve Martin’s King Tut and Dolly’s 9-5.

15-18. Peace Sells But Who’s Buying?, Master of Puppets, One, Fire Woman, Youth Gone Wild and Funky Cold Medina. Cruising tunes were Hair of the Dog, Cult of Personality, I Remember You, Shout at the Devil, Still of the Night and Why Can’t this Be Love? We all had kick ass stereos bought from REX Electronics, so anything that sounded good cranked up.

(I'm old.)
Seems like every summer at the swimming pool the radio would be playing some Petula Clark song. Speaking of which when my younger brother was 2 or so, he loved her song Downtown so when it was on the radio we would let him know so he could come and listen:) And of course The Beatlers, Herman's Hermits, Paul Revere and the Raiders, The Buckinghams....

Everyday 1st hour I had orchestra (played violin) and then 2nd hour I had one on one lessons. It would last for about 20 min then I would go to study hall. The jazz band was right next door and for almost a year I heard this every single morning. When I hear it even today, I swear I still smell the smells of the school and the feeling of being young and thinking I had it soooooooooo rough.

Everyday 1st hour I had orchestra (played violin) and then 2nd hour I had one on one lessons. It would last for about 20 min then I would go to study hall. The jazz band was right next door and for almost a year I heard this every single morning. When I hear it even today, I swear I still smell the smells of the school and the feeling of being young and thinking I had it soooooooooo rough.

25 or 6 to 4 is my go to Chicago song.

25 or 6 to 4 is my go to Chicago song.
Chicago is such a hidden pleasure. I had all their cassettes and hid them under my seat so my "so called friends" didn't know I had them. Funny how our youth was about what other people thought. I could give a crap now. Yes, I love Christopher Cross, Air Supply and Chicago, go pound said if you don't, they kick ass when the mood is right.

Reactions: sober_teacher
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT