ADVERTISEMENT

What song (or songs) immediately remind you of your childhood?

Terrazzo floors in your house?
giphy.gif

They were all the rage in the 1960s in central Florida. The shit's indestructible, if you dropped the Hope Diamond onto it, the diamond would shatter into a million little diamonds.

I was in 6th grade when Run DMC raising hell and Beastie Boy Licensed to Ill came out.

That was a gateway for the rap music i listened to during the late 80s into the 90s

Any hair metal takes me back: Warrant, Skid Row, Poison, Motley Crue, Slaughter, Guns and Roses etc

Then the last couple years of high school it was Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Helmet type music.

Without a doubt anytime i hear a song from a hair metal band, especially if its a power ballad, it immediately takes me back to high school like none of the others i mention

‘Pretty much this all around.

They were all the rage in the 1960s in central Florida. The shit's indestructible, if you dropped the Hope Diamond onto it, the diamond would shatter into a million little diamonds.
It is what you see in courthouses, public buildings, schools, etc. It is super high end and like you say virtually indestructible. Very cool to have it in your childhood home and memories!

Afternoon Delight.

No, hear me out on this one. It was the summer of 1976 and we were driving from PA to my aunt's ranch in Montana for a family reunion - three kids and a dog in the family truckster. That damned song came on the radio every 20 minutes, the whole way across the country.

It is what you see in courthouses, public buildings, schools, etc. It is super high end and like you say virtually indestructible. Very cool to have it in your childhood home and memories!

It was a lot of fun to rollerskate on when mom & dad weren't home. It also stayed cold, which was good since we didn't get AC until I was around 10 years old.

80s soundtrack tunes from some of my fave movies.

Everybody Wants To Rule The World - Tears For Fears
Burning Heart - Survivor
Cruel Summer - Bananarama
Somebody’s Baby - Jackson Browne
Crazy For You - Madonna
Danger Zone - Kenny Loggins

80s soundtrack tunes from some of my fave movies.

Everybody Wants To Rule The World - Tears For Fears
Burning Heart - Survivor
Cruel Summer - Bananarama
Somebody’s Baby - Jackson Browne
Crazy For You - Madonna
Danger Zone - Kenny Loggins
I forgot about Cruel Summer😍

Only one that I can really think of is this because it was my HS class song.

I have more songs that sort of transport me back to college.

Reactions: Sharky1203
I was in 6th grade when Run DMC raising hell and Beastie Boy Licensed to Ill came out.

That was a gateway for the rap music i listened to during the late 80s into the 90s

Any hair metal takes me back: Warrant, Skid Row, Poison, Motley Crue, Slaughter, Guns and Roses etc

Then the last couple years of high school it was Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Helmet type music.

Without a doubt anytime i hear a song from a hair metal band, especially if its a power ballad, it immediately takes me back to high school like none of the others i mention
What year did you graduate high school? Sounds close to mine too.

My dad was a self-taught piano player; this was one of his favorite songs to play, so when I hear it I'm immediately transported back to the terrazzo-floored living room of the house in which I grew up.

Nice segue into “Name a movie that immediately reminds you of your childhood.”
I think the first time I heard this song was at the movie theatre with my mom watching The Sting. She was a huge Paul Newman fan. That is one of my all time favorite flicks… and a terrific song as well.

Mom and Pops listened to a lot of Glen Campbell and Simon and Garfunkel. I still get chills thinking about her busting out lyrics while on road trips.
Older brother plays the tramp-bone, so his early vinyl included plenty of Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. He also had all of the Chicago albums. Beatles and Elton John as well.
My buddy up the lake had older hippy chick sisters who turned us on to a lot of great stuff. I think my earliest music purchases were mostly influenced by what was playing at their house. Stuff like Woodstock, Jimi Hendrix, CSNY, Jethro Tull, and one of my all time favorites..

They also got us started on The Allman Brothers which then led to plenty of Southern rock. This is a classic…

Lots of great memories are triggered when some of these tunes show up. Strangely enough, although certainly a sign of my advanced age, much of it is now elevator or advertising jingles these days.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT