ADVERTISEMENT

What type of gas do you fill up with?

Colonoscopy

HB Legend
Feb 20, 2022
Saint Louis, Mo
img-1-1722953164422.webp

Another vote for no ethanol if I can help it. (Some states or stations only have ethanol blends.)

I get the argument for why no-ethanol is better than ethanol blend. But is it really worth the extra money?

My current vehicle has 305,000 miles and is still going strong. The one before it went 403,000 miles before I hit a deer and totaled it. The one before that went 377,000 miles before a cracked engine block forced it into retirement.

That’s 25 years, 3 vehicles, and nearly 1.1 million miles. And I ran almost exclusively 87 octane ethanol blend - mostly from Shell, BP, and Kroger. Not one issue rated to fuel quality. None.

I figure I probably put at least 43,000 gallons of fuel through those vehicles. How much extra does E0 cost? 50 cents in some places? Maybe even more in some places?

The money I saved by not buying E0 would almost buy me a new car at this point.

I get the argument for why no-ethanol is better than ethanol blend. But is it really worth the extra money?

My current vehicle has 305,000 miles and is still going strong. The one before it went 403,000 miles before I hit a deer and totaled it. The one before that went 377,000 miles before a cracked engine block forced it into retirement.

That’s 25 years, 3 vehicles, and nearly 1.1 million miles. And I ran almost exclusively 87 octane ethanol blend - mostly from Shell, BP, and Kroger. Not one issue rated to fuel quality. None.

I figure I probably put at least 43,000 gallons of fuel through those vehicles. How much extra does E0 cost? 50 cents in some places? Maybe even more in some places?

The money I saved by not buying E0 would almost buy me a new car at this point.
curious how much does it cost yearly to maintain (outside of routine oil change/brakes etc) a vehicle with very high mileage?

The German vehicle requires 91 octane, so 91 octane non-ethanol. The US vehicle can run on 87 octane, so 87 octane non-ethanol.

The biggest reason for non-ethanol is I'm one person driving two vehicles, so one of them is always not getting driven - and with my experience with outdoor power equipment and letting ethanol sit in a tank being very bad for them - non-ethanol for my vehicles, boat motor, and OPE please.

Never had a gas related issue with any of these since I began doing this about a decade ago.

curious how much does it cost yearly to maintain (outside of routine oil change/brakes etc) a vehicle with very high mileage?
Not much if you do the work yourself. I replaced my alternator last year. That was about $200. A couple years ago I replaced the water pump. That was probably also about $200. Spark plugs are about $100 every 100K miles. I replaced the fan motor for the ventilation system. That was about $100.

At some point I’m going to have to decide if it’s worth investing in new suspension components - struts, tie rod ends, control arms, etc. That will probably be a couple thousand dollars. I started to price the parts a couple years ago but that was during the supply chain shortages and the parts I needed weren’t available anywhere in the United States. I haven’t bothered to check again, but I need to do that soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: desihawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT