ADVERTISEMENT

What was the first Super Bowl you remember watching?

jets1.jpg

Yep. My parents had just bought a color TV, and we had guests over. I was 6...didn't really understand what it all meant. I mostly remember the TV, it was the first thing really I had ever watched in color on TV at the time.

The thing that stands out was the NBC "In Living Color" splash screen right before the game started.

All the guests were friends of my dad, mostly all former military electricians etc working with him at Collins Radio. They weren't happy that a hippy like Namath and the Jets were beating old school Johnny Unitas.

Ironically, it was one of the most boring Super Bowls ever. Many of them in the early years were like that.

Ain't missed a game since.

I've been watching the NFL Network's presentation of all the Super Bowl's, the NFL Films coverage from the 70's and 80's are awesome.

The first Super Bowl I remember watching, and really knowing what was going on was Super Bowl X, Dallas and Pittsburgh, 1976. I think I was in 2nd grade.

It was great watching all the old footage of the games. The NFL was so much more fun to watch back then! It was really interesting seeing how much the game has changed, in terms of what players are forbidden to do now. The taunting, illegal hits, vicious hits, etc., are all there. I saw Fran Tarkenton and the Vikings playing Oakland in SB XI and there were some bell-ringing, targeting hits that were perfectly legal!

Jack Tatum- The assassin!

What was your first Super Bowl?
The first one.

Reactions: strummingram
Yep. My parents had just bought a color TV, and we had guests over. I was 6...didn't really understand what it all meant. I mostly remember the TV, it was the first thing really I had ever watched in color on TV at the time.

The thing that stands out was the NBC "In Living Color" splash screen right before the game started.

All the guests were friends of my dad, mostly all former military electricians etc working with him at Collins Radio. They weren't happy that a hippy like Namath and the Jets were beating old school Johnny Unitas.

Ironically, it was one of the most boring Super Bowls ever. Many of them in the early years were like that.

Ain't missed a game since.

I was eleven, so I knew of the championship games prior to that -- enough that I remember being somewhat emotionally attached to the notion that the AFL could not compete with the NFL. But I don't recall actually watching those games.

I've seen all of them going back to SB I. Also remember the 1967 NFC championship game between Green Bay and Dallas, the notorious Ice Bowl. Sounds like this week is going to be even colder.

The '76 Steeler vs. the Cowboys was memorable for me because I had just went to work for HJ Heinz and all the upper management types were big Steelers fans so the party was at the plant manager's house. Heinz also had a distribution center in Grand Prairie, Texas where the bean counting part of the office came from. Of course being a Packer fan I knew both were a bunch of losers so I sat quietly by while they threatened each other. They were hard core. We had to drink Iron City beer which the manager had trucked in from Pittsburg with a load of catsup. Nasty sh!t......

7.-HHC-cans-2007.56.155-ab.jpg
Plumb nasty is right.

I've been watching the NFL Network's presentation of all the Super Bowl's, the NFL Films coverage from the 70's and 80's are awesome.

The first Super Bowl I remember watching, and really knowing what was going on was Super Bowl X, Dallas and Pittsburgh, 1976. I think I was in 2nd grade.

It was great watching all the old footage of the games. The NFL was so much more fun to watch back then! It was really interesting seeing how much the game has changed, in terms of what players are forbidden to do now. The taunting, illegal hits, vicious hits, etc., are all there. I saw Fran Tarkenton and the Vikings playing Oakland in SB XI and there were some bell-ringing, targeting hits that were perfectly legal!

Jack Tatum- The assassin!

What was your first Super Bowl?

Super Bowl 25 in Tampa. NKOTB at halftime and Bills Vs Giants in a classic matchup.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT