ADVERTISEMENT

When they ask you if you'd like to round up to the nearest dollar for a random fundraiser at the grocery store...

Usually I say something to the effect of, "why would I possibly want to hand over control of my charitable contributions to a corporate entity whose leaders might not even be remotely aligned to the charitable values that I hold, and to receive the benefit/credit associated with that contribution?"

Usually I say something to the effect of, "why would I possibly want to hand over control of my charitable contributions to a corporate entity whose leaders might not even be remotely aligned to the charitable values that I hold, and to receive the benefit/credit associated with that contribution?"
I can see your point but all I can think about is the poor underpaid clerk thinking "What a goddamn jackass."

Some people seem to complain about everything. We’re talking about less than a dollar.

Hy-Vee gave 400k and Fareway gave 250k to Variety, the Children’s Charity from a month long round up campaign this year. They matched dollar per dollar. This funds kids that have disabilities and other programs to benefit our younger generation.

I think your .40 cents could be money well spent.

I can see your point but all I can think about is the poor underpaid clerk thinking "What a goddamn jackass."
Take yesterday, for instance, when I went into my new Harris Teeter replacing the old one next door.

Now, I wasn't immature enough to bitch about the fact that I don't know where everything is in the new physical layout, because I'll get used to that. But there were some products/package sizes that they are not stocking in the new/improved site. (For example, while they used to sell Fever Tree tonic water in 6.5 oz bottles - the perfect size for my G&T recipe -- they flipped the packaging to 5.5 oz cans, despite that they sell other weird Fever tree products like "blood orange soda" in the 6.5 oz bottle. And no jumbo potato chip bag, instead a 2 fo $9 regular bag offer.) So, when the young clerk robotically asked "did you find everything all right today?" as I pulled up to the checkout, I replied, "no, but that's not your problem."

By the way, if they do think I'm a dick, and they talk about it around the store and bitch about being subjected to it, eventually somebody takes notice. (Alternatively, if you'd like, I could ask for a copy of the organization's donation list while I'm in line, to the chagrin of other customers.)

I’ve never had a human clerk ask this, only self checkout. I always do it because who cares about a few pennies.

The more annoying this is Panda Express, where the drive through will first ask if you want to try their special that week. No, and now I’m already PO’d because we have to have this unnecessary exchange before I place my order. Then, when I’m done ordering, they ask if I’d like to make an addition donation to charity-of-the day. No, because I don’t want another discussion about how much I’m going to contribution.

If I’m at Panda Express I must be in a hurry, but I’m surely not their for your authentic cuisine. I just want to place my order and be on my way.

I always put no.

Bad enough I am expected to tip 20% for ordering at a counter.

Do the stores save up the donations and get a big fat tax deduction?
Of course! That's the whole game!

You give extra money to the store, then they say "we donated X to Y" and take the write off.

Reactions: onlyTheObvious
This is how you handle solicitors.
images

Exactly.

or you could just politely say no thanks because you are an adult who realizes this person is just doing their job
but why should a customer even have to deal with this?
I’m already giving a company business and money. Why should I be expected to then Donate to a charity on top of that.
If they want to get money for donation then figure out the price you want to list your products at and then round them up to the nearest whole dollar and donate that money you made.
You’ll make more for donations and you don’t have to annoy the customer.
This should be super easy at a convenience store when no one knows the price of items to begin with.

Reactions: nelly02
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT