ADVERTISEMENT

You must fight a random person to the death…

ping72

HR Legend
Jan 14, 2009
This is an adult over the age of 18 and +/- 10 years of your own age. They will be chosen at random, you do not know who it will be ahead of time. You will fight in an arena with no place to hide.

You must choose one melee item (so no guns, bows, etc) of your choice. You both will get the same weapon.

What do you choose and why?

I do not have skills in any weapons like swords or anything like that. And I am a 6’2” 235# former athlete… so I’m guessing I am stronger than the vast majority of other people, but maybe not faster.

So I think I would pick something like a really heavy war hammer. I figure most of my opponents would not be able to swing it very well. And it’s not something they could use to out-quick me either.

Something like a golf club. Swing fast and hard to create space since I have no skills.

The goal would be to gouge his eyes out and then finishing him off would be easier.

Reactions: ping72
Paring knife.
I figure I’m probably a bit more experienced handling a paring knife than most people, so one or two lucky hits by the other person isn’t going to cause too much damage. In the long haul, I will get more successful hits than they will.

This is an adult over the age of 18 and +/- 10 years of your own age. They will be chosen at random, you do not know who it will be ahead of time. You will fight in an arena with no place to hide.

You must choose one melee item (so no guns, bows, etc) of your choice. You both will get the same weapon.

Nightstick. It's great for defense, isn't too big (you can create speedy movements) and can do damage quickly. There's a reason why the cops carry them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moral

Bare hands, no weaponry

I do not have skills in any weapons like swords or anything like that. And I am a 6’2” 235# former athlete… so I’m guessing I am stronger than the vast majority of other people, but maybe not faster.

So I think I would pick something like a really heavy war hammer. I figure most of my opponents would not be able to swing it very well. And it’s not something they could use to out-quick me either.
I was thinking somewhat the same. I'm not going to "out-quick" a lot of people, but I'm still going to be stronger than the vast majority of people I could potentially face.

Can we take turns tossing a kaber at each other? I think I'd do all right, comparatively, in that as combat.

lAi69X.gif

I was thinking somewhat the same. I'm not going to "out-quick" a lot of people, but I'm still going to be stronger than the vast majority of people I could potentially face.

Can we take turns tossing a kaber at each other? I think I'd do all right, comparatively, in that as combat.

lAi69X.gif
That’s pretty cool… But there’s no rule that they just have to stand there. I’m thinking most people could dodge to that pretty easily.

Question: Will they be similarly equipped or do they get to pick their own weapon?

Off the top if my head I would say a rapier.

I don't have any real training in any kind of marital arts EXCEPT I did take a few fencing classes. What I know is very basic. I wouldn't even claim to be good, but a few classes and fencing bouts I would say would give me the best edge I could hope for when it comes to a fight to the death.

Question: Will they be similarly equipped or do they get to pick their own weapon?

Off the top if my head I would say a rapier.

I don't have any real training in any kind of marital arts EXCEPT I did take a few fencing classes. What I know is very basic. I wouldn't even claim to be good, but a few classes and fencing bouts I would say would give me the best edge I could hope for when it comes to a fight to the death.
You get to choose the weapon. But both people will get the same weapon. And this person is chosen completely at random. So you would be playing the odds as to whether or not they have experience or natural skill with this weapon.

You get to choose the weapon. But both people will get the same weapon. And this person is chosen completely at random. So you would be playing the odds as to whether or not they have experience or natural skill with this weapon.

Yeah I'm going with rapier. Best odds I would have.

I mean if I'm facing off against someone who's done a lot of fencing I'm screwed. But it's a pretty niche marshal art and most people would likely think that a sword fight would go like they see it in the movies. If that is what they base their skill off of I've got a pretty good chance.

I am going with a staff. I figure it is most like a baseball bat and I feel like I could swing it faster and with more power than most people from either direction, as I was switch hitter and can golf either righty or lefty. If it were a spear I feel like a lesser opponent could stab me easier than get a blow in with a staff.

lAi69X.gif
Could you imagine? "Wtf is that big ass post he's carryin-----oooooh my god it's coming right for me"

A bass guitar. It would just feel a lot more natural in my hands then most people would feel with it. I could fatality them either with a death blow or strangling them with a string. Then when I was done I could say something like "rock off" when I walk away.

A bass guitar. It would just feel a lot more natural in my hands then most people would feel with it. I could fatality them either with a death blow or strangling them with a string. Then when I was done I could say something like "rock off" when I walk away.
4 or 6 string bass? 6 has more tuning pegs that could do damage.

Reactions: ping72 and Moral
4 or 6 string bass? 6 has more tuning pegs that could do damage.

4 string, don't want that neck width to be an issue when swinging away. Now I'm thinking more specifically that I have an aluminum neck bass, that would prevent the neck from snapping off.

I'm going with something completely useless, like a feather. I like my odds against a rando +/- 10 years my age in hand to hand. Im 47, 6'3" 215 and in good shape.

4 string, don't want that neck width to be an issue when swinging away. Now I'm thinking more specifically that I have an aluminum neck bass, that would prevent the neck from snapping off.
But if the next naps off, you can strangle them with the string.

I'm going with something completely useless, like a feather. I like my odds against a rando +/- 10 years my age in hand to hand. Im 47, 6'3" 215 and in good shape.
I thought about that. But I live in a state where wrestling and MMA is pretty popular. It would be just my luck.

Reactions: Daggerfoot
Yeah, I think I'm pretty much dead. I'm probably going with an aluminum baseball bat.

I have no fighting skills or weapons experience, so it will purely be luck of the draw if I get someone much smaller or more pathetic than me.

An aluminum bat is at least something I have a strong familiarity with holding and swinging, I know how it feels in the hand. I would just be rolling the dice that if I got matched up with a real poindexter who hasn't really handled a baseball bat, that might give me an advantage.

Bare hands, no weaponry

Agreed. I’d aim for a quick takedown and transition into a choke that I wouldn’t let go of…while hoping my ground game was better than my opponent’s. A weapon wouldn’t be useful with my strategy and I certainly wouldn’t want one being used towards me.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
2nd question I just thought of . . . Is the the pool of people randomly selected going to be all the same gender as you?

I was assuming yes but I don't think you specified.

Reactions: Daggerfoot
Agreed. I’d aim for a quick takedown and transition into a choke that I wouldn’t let go of…while hoping my ground game was better than my opponent’s. A weapon wouldn’t be useful with my strategy and I certainly wouldn’t want one being used towards me.
Anatomical knowledge would help too, if it’s a fight to the death. Break the elbow when they swing and proceed on the way to death via strangulation

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
You run into the guy and feel him falling backwards. A smile comes across your face as you realize you just gained advantage and you have the upper hand.

You both fall to the ground with you on top of him. You feel satisfaction. This might be easier than you thought…

And then suddenly, the guy expertly pulls guard on you and starts grabbing for limbs. The smile fades from your face…

2nd question I just thought of . . . Is the the pool of people randomly selected going to be all the same gender as you?

I was assuming yes but I don't think you specified.
Nope. You could get some professional athlete/fighter or you can get a woman in a wheelchair 10 years older than you. It’s completely random.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT