ADVERTISEMENT

Where are you on ISU?

Do you ever cheer for ISU?

• I do cheer for ISU occasionally (attended Iowa)

Votes: 50 21.1%
  • I do cheer for ISU occasionally (did not attend Iowa)

Votes: 52 21.9%
  • I never cheer for ISU (attended Iowa)

Votes: 62 26.2%
  • I never cheer for ISU (did not attend Iowa)

Votes: 73 30.8%

• Total voters
Remember - according to ISU fan - you can NOT truly be a fan unless you are an Alum of the school.

You would certainly never hear another Domer knock Iowa's OOC schedule again... and yes, that would be the national narrative perspective.
I've never heard a ND fan comment on anything Iowa, and I know lots of ND fans.

When I hear Iowa fans who have this irrational hatred of ND I instantly think they have an anti-Catholic, anti- private school bias. Pretty much bigoted, to be honest. Because other than some Fainting Irish game that happened before most of us were born the paths of Iowa and ND rarely, if ever, cross.

Reactions: rchawk and ctghawk

When I hear Iowa fans who have this irrational hatred of ND I instantly think they have an anti-Catholic, anti- private school bias. Pretty much bigoted, to be honest. Because other than some Fainting Irish game that happened before most of us were born the paths of Iowa and ND rarely, if ever, cross.
Catholic here, don’t like ND, am I a bigot? Oh, also went to catholic high school and university. Kids did catholic schools, private university. Still bigots because we don’t like ND?

I don't like notre dame.
For the most part, I don't care about isu.

If one team has to win the game, better that it be isu.
But, cheer for them? Nope.

Catholic here, don’t like ND, am I a bigot? Oh, also went to catholic high school and university. Kids did catholic schools, private university. Still bigots because we don’t like ND?
Kind of wondering how a team that Iowa does not have much interaction with elicits hatred though. ND is kind of irrelevant from a Hawkeye fan perspective, as much as we are irrelevant to them as well. Don't care for them, fine, but I'm sensing hatred in this thread which I don't understand, especially considering we're discussing ND playing ISU, who we do have history with.

Kind of wondering how a team that Iowa does not have much interaction with elicits hatred though. ND is kind of irrelevant from a Hawkeye fan perspective, as much as we are irrelevant to them as well. Don't care for them, fine, but I'm sensing hatred in this thread which I don't understand, especially considering we're discussing ND playing ISU, who we do have history with.
They won’t join the conference and they get jerked off every year by the media. Even when they suck they still get talked about more than schools that rise up and have a great year. I do get what you’re saying though.

That no conference thing burned them this year though.

But I also don't understand the whole no conference so I hate them thing either. They consistently schedule a decent schedule with historically good programs.

I guess it doesn't matter to me what they do. Kind of like I don't care what BYU does either. Don't want to join a conference, I don't care. Go undefeated and make the CFP or get stuck in a crap bowl if they don't. Good tie ins like the BIG and SEC have are nice.

Okay. I'll bite.
In your scenario ISU is 11-1 with their only loss being Iowa. What bowl would they be going to right now? (hint: Peach vs. #1 LSU). As this was being debated on every sports show by every talking head for the past month guess what every single one of them would have said? (preview: "The Iowa Hawkeyes are their only loss"). Think this would have helped recruiting? (answer: Yes)

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to imagine the Hawks would be ranked higher with such a quality win, probably higher than 9-3 Michigan. (Hmmm Citris Bowl... Iowa is ranked higher and also in the national conversation, afterall, they DID beat ISU... maybe we should choose them to play against Alabama).
Still disagree here.
Recruiting would be the same or harder for us for in state kids if iowa state wins more
Iowa would still be behind in michigan in bowl order due to same record and h2h loss. Even worse in that scenario I could see a b1g team pushed out of NY6 and to citrus bowl, maybe even moving us down.
Still no comment on iowa state board trolls, I would assume since your name includes Seattle you dont have to deal with clone fans on a regular basis so that may not be a big deal for ya.

Nope. I don't have to deal with annoying ISU fans at all, so no comment there. I can imagine they're like knats though. Buy a swatter.

I used to root for ISU except against Iowa. Now, I want them to lose every game of every sport. The internet and ISU trolls have permanently ruined any respect I ever had for them. My biggest wish would be to cut ties with them completely across the board. I hope their conference dissolves and they’re forced to leave the Power 5.

ISU wouldn't finish 11-1 if they were in the Sun Belt instead of the Texas 12. They are a 40th-50th placed team. Period. That is a high-water mark for them compared to their history. Them improving does NOT help Iowa in securing a limited talent pool.

40-50th is high water mark? You know we all have the internet and that’s not true right?

I will chime in here-

I was a ND fan until Parseghian retired, and they hired Dan Devine (fired by my NFL team), at which time I switched to Iowa. I'm not an alumni, so I guess I never experienced the Cyclone animosity... I actually have a couple of ex gf's who are Clones, so I cheer for them against everyone but the Hawks.

I believe this is the first time I've ever cheered for Notre Dame. Several years back Notre Dame faced Bama in the title and that was the first time I cheered for Bama.

I don't know which teams I truly hate more until they face each other.

Reactions: DougFHawkeye

Yep, hate ND because they think they are better than everyone, hence not joining a conference. It burnt them this year by losing out on the ACC conference championship game and Orange Bowl. I loved it.

That and the entire Catholic org hiding and moving priests that molested kids. To me the Catholic org is equal to what happened at Ped State and far worse for putting money ahead of kids by not prosecuting the monsters that perpetrated those crimes. You have to be a sick sob to hide those crimes against humanity. There is a special place in Hell for them.

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
How does an ISU bowl win help the “national narrative perspective” of the Hawks???? This makes zero sense.

If you would cheer for ISU, I have to call into question your “bleed black and gold” statement. But....to each his own.

A stronger program at ISU absolutely helps Iowa’s perception around the nation.

A more practical reason is for Iowa to have tough, respectable opponent before the Big10 schedule.

some of you let your hate for the ISU fans skew your ability to even think logically.

the only angle I would grant you is recruiting a few more in-state kids (mostly walk-ons) may come to Iowa. I think Iowa probably gets about as many Iowa kids as they need already however.

I bleed Black & Gold as much as anyone, and I don’t mind seeing ISU having a respected football team.

where the hell are all you guys when most whine about “no win situation” when playing ISU? They are going to always play the game so it may as well be useful to Iowa (play a respectable opponent who can help make us better early in the year, etc).

Hey, they are a State of Iowa Team -- I will cheer for them anytime they don't play the Hawks. They have 45 players from Iowa, several from smaller schools (Iowa has 46 players from Iowa). One of the players I coached played there several years ago as a walk-on and he was treated just as well as the scholarship athletes were. I will also cheer for UNI anytime they don't play the Hawks. It would be great if both the Hawks and Clones win their bowl games and UNI wins the FCS -- no other state could claim that achievement.

Last edited:
I don't even think about them past mid-September, and I don't care either way if they win or lose. I think it's about 35 years of watching them be totally and completely irrelevant that causes me to sometimes forget that they play football.

Reactions: grayhair81

Failing to understand someone's perspective doesn't make them kind of bigoted. It makes you kind of ignorant.

The only thing that matters is for Iowa to own the state of Iowa and to have a complete lock down on every talented recruit in this state. Iowa State winning anything is a negative to that goal. MC being able to walk into a recruit's living room with a bowl win over Notre Dame in his back pocket is not a good thing for Iowa.

As much as some of you hate Notre Dame, how often do we ever go head-to-head with them for recruits? Do we play Notre Dame on our schedule? Do Notre Dame fans come to this place and talk junk? I doubt the Iowa Hawkeyes even cross the minds of most Notre Dame fans. Yet, daily there are Clown fans coming here spouting their nonsense, even after 5 straight years of losing they still can't shut up.

Why would you ever cheer for the Cyclones in anything? I really don't understand this "good for the state" stupidity.

this is the correct answer

The list is fairly long. Lou Holtz and the cheating fraud that he is, Brian Kelly essentially killing a kid, the fainting Irish, the subway fans.... you don’t have to have the team you support play another team to have an opinion. Want me to go on and on about why your attempted apathy about ND confuses me?

Probably, these people are still pissed about the "Fainting Irish" incident in 1953.

I used to pull for ISU when not playing Iowa until 2007 FB games in Ames. They acted like they won the super bowl and saw the worst in ISU fan behavior towards everyone in our group. I have been to tons of road games and never seen a fan base act like that after a win (against a bad team also). Since that day I decided I would never root for them again in anything.

Reactions: JStandefer
I used to pull for ISU when not playing Iowa until 2007 FB games in Ames. They acted like they won the super bowl and saw the worst in ISU fan behavior towards everyone in our group. I have been to tons of road games and never seen a fan base act like that after a win (against a bad team also). Since that day I decided I would never root for them again in anything.

I felt the exact same way in 81. I have been to several B1G venues and never seen the depraved crap I saw in Ames.

Never cheer for ISU even when they played Nebraska in the Little 8 and Big 12. I guess for people like me who live in the state who deal with annoying ISU fans makes it easier to root against them and hope they lose every game in every sport.

My 2 cents on why Iowa fans don't care for ND. For the old timers the fainting Irish incident like my Dad and Grandpa remember. But lot of Iowa students and alum are originally from and post college live in the Chicagoland area where there are tons of Irish fans who can be arrogant elitist pricks. Plus the whole conference independence & NBC rights deal. Media doesn't help either as we've seen how they try and over hype up certain schools like ND, Texas and Nebraska every year when they have no business most seasons.

I'm going to venture that the folk who don't cheer for ISU under any circumstances are also the ones who want the series to go away.

But that isn't going to happen so if we are going to play them and beat them, why not have them be a team with a winning record or even sneak into the top 25. Even if it is only the computer rankings that factor that in, it helps.

Just like you want to see the big ten do well. Except OSU and Nebraska, screw those guys.

Reactions: j0nnyhb_Prime
I have many friends and business associates that are ISU alums, some of whom are very strong fans of the Cyclones...probably due to those relationships, I prefer to see ISU do well when not going against the Hawks. I have many more important things in my life than to waste energy hating others because they cheer for the "wrong" team.

There are plenty of jerks associated with every school IMO, I am not going to hate another team because some of their fans are obnoxious and overbearing...I would have to hate everyone then.

My answer is always the same. We live in a state without a major metropolitan area and total population smaller than any state in the B1G besides Nebraska. It's hard enough for Iowa to recruit. I will never pull for ISU.

Reactions: iahawks10
But lot of Iowa students and alum are originally from and post college live in the Chicagoland area where there are tons of Irish fans who can be arrogant elitist pricks.

This I can understand. Rubbing elbows with another fan base can create friction. I've never had to deal with it myself. I know many Notre Dame fans but they don't act like this.

Yeah - I think its a Chicago thing. Huge city - borders Iowa and Indiana - tons of Iowa and ND alum live there. Gas and fire.

ND fans aren’t much different than Nebbie fans. Live in the past, etc. The difference with ISU is they have Psycho fans and zero reason why. I personally believe that is most annoying. A team owned by Iowa with an AD who obsesses about Iowa and fans that are sick with vitriol. That is the problem. I don’t like the ND arrogance but at least they have done something like ever. Same with Nebbie. Clone fans are a miserable, dumb, delusional lot for no reason.

Hey, they are a State of Iowa Team -- I will cheer for them anytime they don't play the Hawks. They have 45 players from Iowa, several from smaller schools (Iowa has 46 players from Iowa). One of the players I coached played there several years ago as a walk-on and he was treated just as well as the scholarship athletes were. I will also cheer for UNI anytime they don't play the Hawks. It would be great if both the Hawks and Clones win their bowl games and UNI wins the FCS -- no other state could claim that achievement.
THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hardly. “The nation” doesn’t care about ISU.

I'm guessing you don't watch much CFB outside of the Hawkeye's or you wouldn't post this type of thing.

I heard ISU mentioned in the Big12 championship game on Saturday. The commentators were discussing which teams had the best defenses in the conference and they listed Baylor, ISU and now OU (as of late).

Under Matt Campbell Iowa State HAS become a respected program by national CFB experts whether you like it or not.

This isn't the 80's and 90's where Hayden could drop 60 on the Clones any time he wanted ... and I don't think that was such a good thing if you think about it. Case in point: 1997, Iowa crushed a down and out ISU team 63-20 or something like that ... Iowa was flying along rising in the rankings until they faced Ohio State. OSU was on another level and the Hawks weren't prepared for that jump in competition IMO. Iowa lost 23-7. Had ISU been a good team back then, perhaps Iowa would have been better prepared for the OSU game a few weeks later.

If you want to hate everything ISU, that is fine, but don't let your hate cloud your judgement so much. A strong ISU program helps Iowa a lot more than it hurts it ... It is good for the state of Iowa too (I'm still proud I grew up in Iowa BTW).

Reactions: NI hawk
Cheer is the operative word for me. I don’t have an emotional investment for any team to win other than the Hawks. I enjoy seeing some teams lose. When two programs I dislike play against one another I can take some satisfaction that one will lose. Iowa State vs. ND is one of those games.

Reactions: JStandefer
I'm guessing you don't watch much CFB outside of the Hawkeye's or you wouldn't post this type of thing.

I heard ISU mentioned in the Big12 championship game on Saturday. The commentators were discussing which teams had the best defenses in the conference and they listed Baylor, ISU and now OU (as of late).

Under Matt Campbell Iowa State HAS become a respected program by national CFB experts whether you like it or not.

This isn't the 80's and 90's where Hayden could drop 60 on the Clones any time he wanted ... and I don't think that was such a good thing if you think about it. Case in point: 1997, Iowa crushed a down and out ISU team 63-20 or something like that ... Iowa was flying along rising in the rankings until they faced Ohio State. OSU was on another level and the Hawks weren't prepared for that jump in competition IMO. Iowa lost 23-7. Had ISU been a good team back then, perhaps Iowa would have been better prepared for the OSU game a few weeks later.

If you want to hate everything ISU, that is fine, but don't let your hate cloud your judgement so much. A strong ISU program helps Iowa a lot more than it hurts it ... It is good for the state of Iowa too (I'm still proud I grew up in Iowa BTW).
Being mentioned by commentators doesn’t mean much. The vast majority of college football fans could give two craps about ISU.

And you are wrong.....a strong ISU doesn’t help the University of Iowa in any way, shape or form. Not sure why in the world you would think that. It has nothing to do with “hating” ISU. Fact is, on a national scale ISU is basically a nobody.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT