ADVERTISEMENT

Where do we go from here?

I agree that 7-5 is probably the best they can do.
Would be interesting if they lost every conference home game, and won every road game.

Program as a whole needs to really make some decisions. Davis experiment should be cancelled immediately. I don't know if that's even a debate. Too many games called with punches being pulled on the offensive side. 1 deep shot today. Cannot win when you don't throw deep

Program as a whole needs to really make some decisions. Davis experiment should be cancelled immediately. I don't know if that's even a debate. Too many games called with punches being pulled on the offensive side. 1 deep shot today. Cannot win when you don't throw deep
I'm thinking 2015 regular season was the worst thing to happen. Ferentz is essentially fire proof now.

This feels a lot like '13 and '14. Due to the great bowl package and overall low quality of the B1G, we'll get a bowl game against an SEC team a lot better than us, then either get pounded ('14) or be involved in the wrong end of a game like our games against Rutgers and Minnesota, since our opponent will have very little interest ('13).

Will this go down as Ferentz's biggest fail after a stellar season? I know he has a LOT of dumpster fire seasons to choose from.

Glas I turned down the chance to go to this borefest of a game!

It depends on what your expectations were going in. If you bought into the hype, then yeah. I never did - lost too much, wasn't enough experienced talent left for THIS year.

I just didn't see barring a miracle of the kids developing faster than they ever have under this regime that Iowa could reasonably replicate last season. I mean...with the linemen and receiver losses AND the skills guys we had coming back - did we really believe it was going to magically gel?

I didn't. A year...maybe two away.

It depends on what your expectations were going in. If you bought into the hype, then yeah. I never did - lost too much, wasn't enough experienced talent left for THIS year.

I just didn't see barring a miracle of the kids developing faster than they ever have under this regime that Iowa could reasonably replicate last season. I mean...with the linemen and receiver losses AND the skills guys we had coming back - did we really believe it was going to magically gel?

I didn't. A year...maybe two away.

Good post.

I guess I was hoping for 9-3 or at worst 8-4.

It's the style of defeat that is what if giving fans a bad taste.

7-5 and Foster Farms Bowl where we probably face Stanford and get blown out.

With that said, I am not convinced we can even beat Illinois at this point. It's on the road and Illinois is starting Jeff George Jr today. He will only get better with time.

Good post.

I guess I was hoping for 9-3 or at worst 8-4.

It's the style of defeat that is what if giving fans a bad taste.
Reminds me of the ISU game from 2014. Iowa had its chances to make something happen and turtled when it mattered most.

99% of the pain this season has brought was caused by over-inflated expectations imho...

I've said it before, I'll say it again today, tomorrow, and the rest of my life. Let the season play out.

If we can't even beat Wisky on our own field, I would have doubts we can do any better against Michigan or Nebraska.

Michigan will roll us, but Nebraska is not that good. They are getting beat by Purdue right now. The same Purdue Iowa rolled last week.

west title chances all but gone

What is the best this team can accomplish?

7-5 and trip to Florida?
3-1 and another NYD bowl loss to a better SEC team.

We beat Iowa State so I have no concern about Iowa jeopardizing their run of 8 win seasons when beating ISU. That just seems to be this team's unfortunate ceiling because God hates us.....that's what it is.

7-5 and hope for a crap bowl against a MAC team not a SEC team.
I would rather see Iowa get crushed by an SEC team than lose to a MAC team. Of course, it would just be the cherry on top if Iowa were to lose to a MAC team in a bowl game.

3-1 and another NYD bowl loss to a better SEC team.

We beat Iowa State so I have no concern about Iowa jeopardizing their run of 8 win seasons when beating ISU. That just seems to be this team's unfortunate ceiling because God hates us.....that's what it is.
Not understanding how anyone could think this mediocre 5-3 team, with a pathetic offense and average-ish defense, and zero chemistry, could go 3-1 @PSU, MI, @IL, and NE. 2-2 seems iffy.

Not understanding how anyone could think this mediocre 5-3 team, with a pathetic offense and average-ish defense, and zero chemistry, could go 3-1 @PSU, MI, @IL, and NE. 2-2 seems iffy.
This is the rare team that will actually improve and play their best in November.

They just won't beat Michigan.

Penn state is the key to start this though. If we lose on the road, we're done. What will happen is the offense will put up more points because Penn State's D is not quite as good as Wisconsin's, but our DB's will somehow magically take two steps backwards.

It's either that or we win, so.......you take your pick.

why is this defense average right now ? they just played their ass off. 3-1 is very possible. davis does need to be fired.

It really depends on the refs as we saw again today they weren't awful but they weren't good as i counted around 10 penalties on Wisconsin and they were called for 0.

But with all the games called fair I see us going 2-1 into Nebraska and that game being very close I give Nebraska a slight edge but is definitely a winnable game. So 7-5 60 percent chance and 30 percent 8-4, remanding 10 percent worse than that or better (which is highly unlikely.

This year the officials have been way better on our road games then our home games which is something I've never seen before. If the officials called the game right we still probably lose today unlike northwestern where we would have won easily.

Then probably playing some SEC school luckily the SEC isn't scary anymore like in the past. Besides Alabama of course.

I said after the NDSU game I was concerned this team was not very good, unfortunately I think I'm right. It will be a challenge to win 2 more. I think they could still surprise somebody and I hope that's Nebraska. I'm hoping for the music city bowl. Ferentz is loyal to a fault. It's time for Brett bielema

Reactions: 24 so far
Iowa played the best game they've played all season today. I know it doesn't seem like it, but they truly did.

All is not lost.

7-5 is definitely doable. Just how that happens is uncertain. They will crush Illinois. About the only true thing I think we can say with reasonable accuracy. Penn State is very doable I believe - and is probably the best opportunity for a winning season assuming beating Illinois. Michigan...yeesh. Nebraska I do believe is doable also, but would have to play better than today to do so.

But as already mentioned in some fashion...they just gotta keep working. That's all we can ask, that's all that should be expected.

I just don't see this team packing it in. I do think they will improve compared to today, but whether the record shows it...dunno.

It really depends on the refs as we saw again today they weren't awful but they weren't good as i counted around 10 penalties on Wisconsin and they were called for 0.

But with all the games called fair I see us going 2-1 into Nebraska and that game being very close I give Nebraska a slight edge but is definitely a winnable game. So 7-5 60 percent chance and 30 percent 8-4, remanding 10 percent worse than that or better (which is highly unlikely.

This year the officials have been way better on our road games then our home games which is something I've never seen before. If the officials called the game right we still probably lose today unlike northwestern where we would have won easily.

Then probably playing some SEC school luckily the SEC isn't scary anymore like in the past. Besides Alabama of course.
Iowa would only need a little bit of decent O to beat neb. If Iowa plays slightly better O and the same D as today, then they beat neb. Neb makes too many mistakes with the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT