ADVERTISEMENT

Where is our recruiting?

Mar 14, 2003
This is the time of year when you hear about guys making decisions, a few last minute switches, etc....

For the third or fourth straight year, there is NOTHING on the Iowa front. It's a pretty sad state of affairs. I remember when we'd get last minute flips like a Cedric Everson (even though he didn't work out), etc....

Originally posted by IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life:
This is the time of year when you hear about guys making decisions, a few last minute switches, etc....

For the third or fourth straight year, there is NOTHING on the Iowa front. It's a pretty sad state of affairs. I remember when we'd get last minute flips like a Cedric Everson (even though he didn't work out), etc....
Oh, there is stuff, just not anything good. Powerhouses such as Old Dominion have us in a tight spot right now.

Originally posted by IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life:

You are either (a) incapable of assimilating news or (b) willfully ignorant.

lets see 4* DT Daniels a MAC level recruit is announcing Friday between MAC schools Baylor, TT and IA.
Hall has a OV this Friday as well so he is not saying anything Hall is picking between MAC level schools Wisconsin, Missouri, Nebraska and finally IA.
Whalen has a OV this weekend so he is not saying anything and he choosing between MAC level school Wisconsin and IA.
LB Ojemuda is announcing his choice between MAC school Indiana and IA and he is projected to be the SS in this class,
Garbutt has a OV this weekend and he is not saying anything, is choosing between MAC level schools Oregon State, Nebraska, Missouri, TT and then IA.

do you really expect these kids to say anything before they finish up their OV's? your shit is getting awful old.

for those bellyaching about no news LB Ojemuda just committed, by picking IA over Indiana, that's one down and maybe 3-5 more before signing day.

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

for those bellyaching about no news LB Ojemuda just committed, by picking IA over Indiana, that's one down and maybe 3-5 more before signing day.
Curious why you didn't post his star ranking. Isn't that your "thing"?

already did, besides he was graded as a LB not as a SS which is where the coaches project him at, I did post his height and weight as being 6'2 190 lbs and there was no 40 time posted when I posted those stats. in the morning when Rivals update their commit board it should have that info and I will post it for those that want it. as a OLB he was rated a 2*.

as I have stated the next 7 days will be very interesting time to watch as the last commits will come in fast. as well as a couple surprises.

oh by the way teams like ND, Michigan are now trying to steal IA recruits, the main target seems to be RB Higdon and his coach is trying very hard to get him to go to MI, because he stated Higdon fits the MI man mold. you know things are looking up when ND and MI try to steal IA commits.

already did, besides he was graded as a LB not as a SS which is where the coaches project him at, I did post his height and weight as being 6'2 190 lbs and there was no 40 time posted when I posted those stats. in the morning when Rivals update their commit board it should have that info and I will post it for those that want it. as a OLB he was rated a 2*.

as I have stated the next 7 days will be very interesting time to watch as the last commits will come in fast. as well as a couple surprises.

oh by the way teams like ND, Michigan are now trying to steal IA recruits, the main target seems to be RB Higdon and his coach is trying very hard to get him to go to MI, because he stated Higdon fits the MI man mold. you know things are looking up when ND and MI try to steal IA commits.
#1) Where?
#2)
roll.r191677.gif

I don't often agree with Kilroy... but Michigan is actually interested in Higdon. Don't know how serious it is, but ol Kilroy can't be called a liar on this one.

or those bellyaching about no news LB Ojemuda just
committed, by picking IA over Indiana, that's one down and maybe 3-5
more before signing day.

He de-committed from Eastern Michigan (A MAC school BTW)

Originally posted by hawksauce:
I don't often agree with Kilroy... but Michigan is actually interested in Higdon. Don't know how serious it is, but ol Kilroy can't be called a liar on this one.
For the life of me I can't find a single person disagreeing with that.
wink.r191677.gif

hey gally boy why are you trying to bash BT school Indiana as it actually came down to IA and Indiana.

and you would be the 1st to scream bloody murder if the kid had chosen Indiana over IA, but you are the 1st to trash IA's recruits when they do get a kid to pick them over another BT school,

hey gally boy why are you trying to bash BT school Indiana as it actually came down to IA and Indiana.

and you would be the 1st to scream bloody murder if the kid had chosen Indiana over IA, but you are the 1st to trash IA's recruits when they do get a kid to pick them over another BT school,
Who the hell are you talking about?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

hey gally boy why are you trying to bash BT school Indiana as it actually came down to IA and Indiana.

The point people are trying to make is the schools we are battling with for recruits aren't often very good football programs or MAC level schools.

On the flip side you mentioned several highly unlikely scenarios ... Ojemuda was orginally committed to Eastern Michigan I believe ... Yes, Indiana was in the mix but I don't think a serious contender.

Yes, Iowa may have been mentioned by some of these guys but the liklihood of us getting any of the guys you mentioned is very, very, very slim.

lets see 4* DT Daniels a MAC level recruit is announcing Friday between MAC schools Baylor, TT and IA.
Hall has a OV this Friday as well so he is not saying anything Hall is picking between MAC level schools Wisconsin, Missouri, Nebraska and finally IA.
Whalen has a OV this weekend so he is not saying anything and he choosing between MAC level school Wisconsin and IA.
LB Ojemuda is announcing his choice between MAC school Indiana and IA and he is projected to be the SS in this class,
Garbutt has a OV this weekend and he is not saying anything, is choosing between MAC level schools Oregon State, Nebraska, Missouri, TT and then IA.

do you really expect these kids to say anything before they finish up their OV's? your shit is getting awful old.

roll.r191677.gif

Originally posted by SWIowahawks:
This last week of recruiting is way more active than last. OP is off base on this one.
I would agree with this but none of this matters if Iowa can't land any of these top targets they are after. If they once again end up with low rated guys it just prolongs the timeframe where the top half of the BIG is distancing themselves from us.

Originally posted by Auger:

This last week of recruiting is way more active than last. OP is off base on this one.
I would agree with this but none of this matters if Iowa can't land any of these top targets they are after. If they once again end up with low rated guys it just prolongs the timeframe where the top half of the BIG is distancing themselves from us.
That goes without saying.

Originally posted by Auger:

That goes without saying.
I just see a lot of people bag'n on each other about how active Iowa is in recruiting. Iowa is still crap at recruiting no matter how active we are compared to prior years if we don't land any higher rated kids. We will still be avg at football if we dont land higher rated kids.

Toilet_370x580.jpg

(Based only on the criteria of how many have offers from other major schools, this looks like a class similar to 2011. The classes since then have been better "on paper".)

as long as people refuse to acknowledge how 2 other Hawkeye site view IA recruits, those site have scouts that go out to review these players and rate them before they assign a star rating,

TOS credits IA with having 3 4* recruits and they have their own Hawk fans on their msg boards 247 is another Hawkeye related site with their own Hawk fans on their own msg board.

ESPN is the only non Hawk related site that send recruiting scouts to every major camp and every 7 on 7 camp that Nike puts on to evaluate talent.

to say recruiting is going down is being short sighted or you have a pure hatred for KF

the FACT is no matter how you want to spin it THIS CLASS has 5 4* players in it, be it 1 site or 4 sites. as they all part of the same class.

as long as people refuse to acknowledge how 2 other Hawkeye site view IA recruits, those site have scouts that go out to review these players and rate them before they assign a star rating,

TOS credits IA with having 3 4* recruits and they have their own Hawk fans on their msg boards 247 is another Hawkeye related site with their own Hawk fans on their own msg board.

ESPN is the only non Hawk related site that send recruiting scouts to every major camp and every 7 on 7 camp that Nike puts on to evaluate talent.

to say recruiting is going down is being short sighted or you have a pure hatred for KF

the FACT is no matter how you want to spin it THIS CLASS has 5 4* players in it, be it 1 site or 4 sites. as they all part of the same class.
You do seem to be in the minority of people who think this is a good class for Iowa. Only time will tell, but not getting an impact linebacker or DE makes this class a disappointment to me as these are significant areas of need.

Not one of these sites has Iowa ranked currently in the top 40 teams in the nation.

I'm definitely excited for a few of the guys like Daniels, Higdon, Boyle, Hockaday, Slater, Reiff, and Newborg. But this is a middle of the road class with only a week to go.

I keep asking 2222 how Iowa ranks in these various sites in the nation and BIG 10 yet he never answers. However on BHGP yesterday they posted these answers below. This how Iowa is doing in our conference according to these various sites where we have "five 4 star" players- And ESPN usually does their rankings day of or after signing day. Last paragraph sums up the reason why fans are frusterated. If and I hope we do get the DT out of Texas that may bump Iowa up a spot or so.

Unless left-field targets emerge, Iowa's 2015 recruiting looks just about done, outside of the action at DT and LB. It's not a hugely exciting class by any stretch. Scout likes it the most... and they have it as the 10th best class in the Big Ten, ahead of just Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, and Purdue. 247 ranks it 11th, ahead of just Purdue, Minnesota, and Michigan, while Rivals has it 12th, ahead of just Purdue and Michigan. Michigan's low ranking is deceptive, too -- they're getting dinged for not having many commits at the moment (just 9), but five of their current commits are 4* prospects and they're a mortal lock to finish strong in the final week.

Whether Iowa's ranking is 10th, 11th, or 12th (or even slightly better or slightly worse) is largely irrelevant, though: this recruiting class is solidly in the bottom half of the Big Ten. That's a big problem if this program wants to contend for Big Ten championships (or more)

This post was edited on 1/29 2:56 PM by iahawkeyes17

lets wait till the LOI's are signed before passing judgement on this class. I know people are getting excited about the possibility of them signing OLB Hall out of Georgia as Rivals grades him as a 5.7 3* but TOS and ESPN has him at NR right now,

247 rates the latest commit a 3* and Hall is a 3* which means 2 sites have not rated him and 2 others have.

I really like this Hall kid and feel he will fit in with the recruits from the last 2 classes just fine,

Wisconsin just lost 2 more commits to drop them to 23 commits after sitting with 26, they lost one early this week, Michigan is making a serious run at Booker their RB that IA was looking at.

get Daniels and IA jumps as high as 41st and in 7th place in the BT out of 14 teams and it looks like IA will take 3-5 more and after 20 commits the points for the lowest rated kid gets dropped and the higher rated kids point are added, for example if a grade 5.5 3 star and is awarded 65 pointscommit that mean his 65 points are added and the lowest 2* who might get 25 points will be removed.

so in the end IA's newest point total will reflect. in this case IA has 1155 points so this means the total goes from 1155 to 1130 then back up to 1195 putting them into 52nd ahead of Illinois who has 20 commits and 1177 points that is how close IA is and they only have 19 commits,

so in this case a 5.5 3* who is worth 65 point would do this to IA's point total 1155 + 65 = 1220 points and into 49th place right behind Indiana who has 19 commits and 1230 points

or lets look at it as if IA get 4* Daniels the minimum points IA will get will be 135 points as that's the lowest points he can by follow the points that are added as each recruits to commit, that means that IA will go from 1155 points to 1290 points putting IA at 41st overall ahead of NW 20 commits with 1260 points and Minnesota 23 commits 1275 points and IA still will need to get 1 more commit to = what those 2 team have that are being used in their total points.

Rutgers who has 24 commits 1230 points sits in 48th place nationally

so rather than getting your panties in a bunch just wait till this class has signed the see where IA sits nationally recruiting, as it is this class I=s already ahead of last years class even just using Rivals star ranking, last season the had 20 commits for a total of 1200 points and finished in a 4 way tie for 59th. that class also had just a total of 2 4* recruits by all 4 sites. this year they are in 53rd 1 4* recruit from being in 42nd place nationally. not bad a improvement from 59th to 42nd with 1 more recruit to equal the number of recruits the got in 2014.

then after that the next 3* recruit puts this class in the top 40 at about 38th, right behind Nebraska

Lot of assumptions such as Daniels and you do realize these teams you project iowa to jump can and will also be adding players. I don't expect iowa to do better than osu, psu or mich st. Rutgers, minny & Maryland yes.

Plus how many more players do we add. Again we are 10th, 11th and 12th according to 3 of 4 sites you constantly refer to. Even if we move up a spot or 2 we are still in the bottom half.

not bad a improvement from 59th to 42nd with 1 more recruit to equal the number of recruits the got in 2014

Not too bad Kilroy if all of the other schools between 59th and 42nd weren't going to sign any more recruits...so you're saying that every single school in that range has no more scholarships to offer...how would you even know that they're full and not going to sign any more players?

for 1 thing those schools have 20 + recruits, IA just has 18, and as I pointed out the lowest rated players point drop off and the higher rated player has is point added, in this case the points for the next 2 commits will be added, then after that any player over that 20 player will do the same for IA in this case as of now IA has 4 2* recruits worth about 25 points each will fall off and the points for a 3* that is worth 65-75 points will be added.

players like Reiff, Falconer. Jinnings and Ojemuda would drop off as of right now Ojemuda as a 5.3 2* would be drop 1st and he is worth about 20-25 points and would be replaced by a player worth 45-60 more points, this is where when teams sign more than 20 players the lower rated point scorers are wiped off and the higher point guys are added.

this is something that most never realize let alone Acknowledge

here are those right in front of IA and the commits
Illinois 52nd 20 commits 1177 points
Indiana 48th 19 commits 1230 points
Rutgers 48th 24 commits 1230 points
NW 43rd 20 commits 1260 points
Minnesota 42nd 23 commits 1275 points

IA 53rd 18 commits 1155 points, there is not much difference between IA and Minnesota that 1 4* commit can't make up, or 2 3* commits. this time of year the ones with less than 20 commits can make a major move in the standings while those with more than 20 can make a minor move,

for example say a team has 20 commits and the lowest rated player is of equal value is added there will be no change,

ESPN ranks us at lucky #13 in the Big 10!!! The recruiting is slight lower than awful! Thank U 4 million dollar man.

Given the usual results in the last decade the Iowa program is either well coached but poorly recruited or well recruited but underachieving due to poor coaching. Consistent mediocrity is hard to take.

After a decade or more you are what your record says you are. Iowa is a very average football program trending downward.

No matter how you slice it, high star recruiting classes equals wins games. Period. End of story. KF has openly admitted he can't compete with osu and michigan for recruits. This mentality is the problem.

Nothing will change. Average program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT