ADVERTISEMENT

Which is best for the program's future?

If you had the power to decide, how would you change the Iowa coaching staff?

• Fire BF, hire a new OC.

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • Fire KF & BF, retain Phil Parker as DC and promote Levar Woods to HC.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • Fire KF & BF, hire a new HC with uncertainty regarding Parker staying as DC.

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • Keep BF as OC, but switch him to OL coach and hire a new QB coach.

Votes: 6 9.1%

• Total voters

FireBrianFerentz

Scout Team
Sep 17, 2022
While I think it's clear nearly all the fan base has finally accepted BF must go, it's interesting that there's a divide over KF. Some want him gone, believing the O will never change under him. Others hope we keep KF, Parker, and Woods, and pray a new OC would actually have the power to retool the offense.

How would you change the coaching staff?

you left out firing Barnett from His OL Coach duties, poll needs fixed.

Yeah, that is assumed for all 4 options, and the 4th option is the only one where people can say that is basically the only fix they think needs to happen to the coaching staff. I'd love to hear from whoever voted for it why that's their position.

Fire BF, hire a new OC with a guarantee from KF that the new OC will have 100% control over the offense.
This is definitely my choice, but here's the problem.

Our AD is the ultimate coward and the worst negotiator in the history of contract making. Do you really think he will do ANYTHING to meaningfully force KF to give up control of the offense?

And will Kirk do that on his own? You'd think in order to save his own son's career he'd be open to innovation, but nothing meaningful has changed during all of BF's tenure.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
A couple of things can be true here. Brian is very bad at his job. Very. While this is true you have to look at how we got here and who is ultimately in charge of the program. This is totally on Kirk at this point. You don't just become the worst offense in the country overnight. Yes, our o line is bad, yes, we have the worst QB's in the country and possibly the worst receiver room in the country as well. For years we've undervalued receivers. While the guys we've lost over the years haven't done much (obviously Jones and the kid from Texas Tech? ) these guys just leave the program and are replaced by more guys who do nothing. It's great to have a very good (possibly great ) defense. However, in today's college game if you're not scoring 28 pts a game you're not even trying basically. It's ridiculous how bad some of the Big Ten offenses are. Besides Ohio State and Michigan the rest of our league is unwatchable right now. Kirk has proven he's not changing. And he's not firing Brian. It's his son. He can't. So then they both need to go. What new coach coming in wouldn't want Phil Parker? It's time.

Our AD is the ultimate coward and the worst negotiator in the history of contract making. Do you really think he will do ANYTHING to meaningfully force KF to give up control of the offense?

And will Kirk do that on his own? You'd think in order to save his own son's career he'd be open to innovation, but nothing meaningful has changed during all of BF's tenure.
And that's why "Fire the AD" should be the first step to start this process.

Bring in an AD who manages the position the way it should be. That results in the OC being fired. Followed by specific performance conditions set out to the head coach.
No more head coach owning his "boss". Let's see if KF wants to stick around for another attempt at rebuild with his son fired and having to report to someone who will actually hold him to account.

Reactions: FireBrianFerentz
After the first hour, we are split completely even between firing just BF and firing BF & KF! Interesting!

We also have an insane asylum escapee who has lurched onto our forum, voting for BF to stay as OC.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
After the first hour, we are split completely even between firing just BF and firing BF & KF! Interesting!

We also have an insane asylum escapee who has lurched onto our forum, voting for BF to stay as OC.
Personally I think KF needs to retire, but I didn't choose "Fire KF & BF" because of the insane buyout. I doubt it's an option. So, I had to go with the "Fire BF" route, option A. Or are we assuming that the buyout is also moot?

Personally I think KF needs to retire, but I didn't choose "Fire KF & BF" because of the insane buyout. I doubt it's an option. So, I had to go with the "Fire BF" route, option A. Or are we assuming that the buyout is also moot?
Nah, I think it's legitimate to factor in the buyout with your decision. It's not going away, so in reality it would be a part of any decision.

So let’s say Brian gets fired by Barta at the end of the season. How is Kirk going to respond? Will he hang it up? How would it be with a new OC who out performs Brian(because he literally can’t do worse) and Kirk trying to save face with the rest of the football world? Would be kind of weird proving the opposite of what he has been preaching about a good staff…

So let’s say Brian gets fired by Barta at the end of the season. How is Kirk going to respond? Will he hang it up? How would it be with a new OC who out performs Brian(because he literally can’t do worse) and Kirk trying to save face with the rest of the football world? Would be kind of weird proving the opposite of what he has been preaching about a good staff…
Barta can't fire Brian. People should stop acting like the org chart has any validity whatsoever.

Reactions: littlez
I chose option 2 but I don't WANT KF to be fired. I just want Brian and Barnett gone and Kirk to take his hands off the entire offensive philosophy. He can work with the o line and teaching technique in the new philosophy.

Part of being a great coach, boss, CEO, whatever is hiring someone to help you where you are coming up short. It is fine to not know all the answers or be great at something you are deficient in but you better find someone who can.

I wasn't basing this on what's realistic. I was basing it on what option I think would be best, regardless of how unlikely.

Reactions: FireBrianFerentz
I chose option 2 but I don't WANT KF to be fired. I just want Brian and Barnett gone and Kirk to take his hands off the entire offensive philosophy. He can work with the o line and teaching technique in the new philosophy.

Part of being a great coach, boss, CEO, whatever is hiring someone to help you where you are coming up short. It is fine to not know all the answers or be great at something you are deficient in but you better find someone who can.

Pretty much this for me.

They HAVE to make a change at OC and probably OL. The best bet is to hire a proven OC from say a smaller school and KF is marginally involved with it and the direction of the offense.

Step two is work the portal for WRs like your life and job depend on it.

I'd prefer can pretty much the entire offensive staff now and have Parker take over as interim HC.

While I think it's clear nearly all the fan base has finally accepted BF must go, it's interesting that there's a divide over KF. Some want him gone, believing the O will never change under him. Others hope we keep KF, Parker, and Woods, and pray a new OC would actually have the power to retool the offense.

How would you change the coaching staff?
Nothing will change until fans start voting with their wallets. Stop buying tickets and have a half empty Kinnick next year. Maybe that will grab someone’s attention. I get that the tv money will still be there, however it will make a statement .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT