ADVERTISEMENT

Whitlock: WNBA will destroy Caitlin

I am sure there will be resentment in regard to Caitlin, Very shortsighted because she can put money in all their purses. I will be interested in seeing how much her teammates will have her back if some opposing players attempt to cross the line in regard to physicality etc. Aliyah Boston seems to genuinely like Caitlin and I could see her backing her up.

I will be disappointed, but I'll also laugh if Clark tells these ladies to GFT and goes to Europe to get paid. I don't know what the pay is over there but I've heard it's more than the WNBA and then she can come back and play in the Big3 where she's really getting paid.

Reactions: amahawk
I would think the WNBA commissioner would tell these bitter and jealous WNBA players to STFU with their hate.

Such a bad look for the league and the players. Fox Sports radio talked about it last night for a couple segments. They couldn’t understand the hate.

• Haha
Reactions: Ycusi
I will be disappointed, but I'll also laugh if Clark tells these ladies to GFT and goes to Europe to get paid. I don't know what the pay is over there but I've heard it's more than the WNBA and then she can come back and play in the Big3 where she's really getting paid.
Herschel Walker 2.0

I have been having this exact argument with my sister, who lives in Iowa, for months now. I was born and raised in Iowa. I moved to Chicago area more than 35 years ago. People that live in Iowa don't know that Iowa is really an unique and special place. Iowa is just way different than most other in our great country. I wish everywhere was just like Iowa!
Athletes in the WNBA are no different than all the other superstars in other major pro sports. They all have HUGE EGOS! They are not going to like any Rookie with Caitlin's history and star power get all the attention. And yes that means (the straight white girl from Iowa). They are going to make it really (I mean) really hard on her to succeed. They are jealous that she is getting more money and attention as a college player than they have ever gotten as a pro. Jealousy is not logical. These are experienced basketball players have played all over the world for years. They know every trick in the book. They are the best of the best. They are quick, tall and fast as heck. Caitlin Clark is not a big lady compared to most of these women.
They are going to do everything in their power to knock Caitlin down several pegs. That means mentally and physically. You think the Angel Reese trash talk stuff was big deal last year. Have you ever been to a WNBA game?
If they were smart they would look at her as a potential game changer and a money-maker. But most don't care.
Caitlin has the skills to be a great player in the WNBA.
We have all seen, Caitlin complain when things don't go her way. Asking for a fouls and yelling at the refs. It will be interesting to see if she can handle the pounding these adult women are going to give her. Then have the refs look the other way. She just needs to shut up and play. Knock down threes and pass the ball to other people to score. Once they see they cannot upset her they will backoff.
I love the Hawkeyes and Caitlin Clark. But there is a major difference between college basketball (18-22 year olds) and playing with these season Pros. Good Caitlin I will be watching and supporting you.

I have been having this exact argument with my sister, who lives in Iowa, for months now. I was born and raised in Iowa. I moved to Chicago area more than 35 years ago. People that live in Iowa don't know that Iowa is really an unique and special place. Iowa is just way different than most other in our great country. I wish everywhere was just like Iowa!
Athletes in the WNBA are no different than all the other superstars in other major pro sports. They all have HUGE EGOS! They are not going to like any Rookie with Caitlin's history and star power get all the attention. And yes that means (the straight white girl from Iowa). They are going to make it really (I mean) really hard on her to succeed. They are jealous that she is getting more money and attention as a college player than they have ever gotten as a pro. Jealousy is not logical. These are experienced basketball players have played all over the world for years. They know every trick in the book. They are the best of the best. They are quick, tall and fast as heck. Caitlin Clark is not a big lady compared to most of these women.
They are going to do everything in their power to knock Caitlin down several pegs. That means mentally and physically. You think the Angel Reese trash talk stuff was big deal last year. Have you ever been to a WNBA game?
If they were smart they would look at her as a potential game changer and a money-maker. But most don't care.
Caitlin has the skills to be a great player in the WNBA.
We have all seen, Caitlin complain when things don't go her way. Asking for a fouls and yelling at the refs. It will be interesting to see if she can handle the pounding these adult women are going to give her. Then have the refs look the other way. She just needs to shut up and play. Knock down threes and pass the ball to other people to score. Once they see they cannot upset her they will backoff.
I love the Hawkeyes and Caitlin Clark. But there is a major difference between college basketball (18-22 year olds) and playing with these season Pros. Good Caitlin I will be watching and supporting you.
I kind of agree. I think many WNBA players would rather bash CC than work with her to make the league and themselves more successful and prosperous. I think the WNBA needs a major youth movement and send the old guard out to pasture.

Reactions: mpfeiler
I hate to break it to you guys but many girls on the iowa team are lesbians including Caitlin's closest friends.

Oh My God Wow GIF by The Roku Channel

Reactions: LarryMullenJr.
Wait. You seriously believe her comments weren’t directed at Caitlin? Alrighty then. Also, sup and his dorky ass laugh makes me want to throat punch him in that clip. What a tool.
I don’t think her message was exclusively for Clark.

The power structure of the NCAA women’s selection committee did not want Caitlin Clark and Iowa to survive to the final, and their surface compliments of Caitlin’s accomplishments hide a deep desire to protect the Black-dominated game of college and professional women’s basketball.

Anyone who thinks a white, heterosexual college superstar will fit in with the WNBA is fooling themselves. They do not want her and have been doing everything they can to tear her down.
Everything they can. Like State Farm commercials. Gatorade commercials. Nike endorsement deals. JFC you lunatic

She is going to the WNBA, not to Europe or Antarctica or anywhere else. That is a certainty. And she will be successful. And a star. And a feature in all of their marketing and promotions. And some in the league won’t like her. But they will either come around or they’ll continue to toil in anonymity. Their choice. Seems like an easy one, but jealousy is powerful.

Reactions: hawkcub and gojojo
The power structure of the NCAA women’s selection committee did not want Caitlin Clark and Iowa to survive to the final, and their surface compliments of Caitlin’s accomplishments hide a deep desire to protect the Black-dominated game of college and professional women’s basketball.

Anyone who thinks a white, heterosexual college superstar will fit in with the WNBA is fooling themselves. They do not want her and have been doing everything they can to tear her down.
You willfully watch or listen to that dumbass and have the audacity to accuse other people of fooling themselves? I don't feel bad for you but I do feel bad for anyone/everyone near your orbit.

Reactions: littlez
Everything they can. Like State Farm commercials. Gatorade commercials. Nike endorsement deals. JFC you lunatic
I don't agree with Tweeter, but the NCAA and WNBA setup the commercials and endorsement deals? Pretty sure that's not how it worked

I don't agree with Tweeter, but the NCAA and WNBA setup the commercials and endorsement deals? Pretty sure that's not how it worked
So when Caitlin goes #1 overall, is that evidence of the WNBA lesbians conspiring against Caitlin? Or is this mostly just paranoia?

So when Caitlin goes #1 overall, is that evidence of the WNBA lesbians conspiring against Caitlin? Or is this mostly just paranoia?
You're asking the wrong guy. That's Tweeter. I just pointed out that her deals were not setup by the NCAA or WNBA as you implied.

She'll go #1 because she's the best player coming out. There are still plenty of the old WNBA guard like Taurasi that resent the attention she's getting. Both can be true.

Reactions: LarryMullenJr.
You're asking the wrong guy. That's Tweeter. I just pointed out that her deals were not setup by the NCAA or WNBA as you implied.

She'll go #1 because she's the best player coming out. There are still plenty of the old WNBA guard like Taurasi that resent the attention she's getting. Both can be true.
And so what to the latter? Michael Jordan has been stand-offish to just about every star in the league since his retirement. Even ones from when he played. It's kind of an embarrassing thing to be whining about.

As currently managed, the WNBA is not sustainable as an “ independent” enterprise. Caitlin could well provide the WNBA a new source of revenue and possibly might add to its independent sustainability. However sometimes, folks involved would cut off their noses to spite their face.
The real question to be answered here is the idea of a women’s professional basketball league financially sustainable in today’s world? Even if everyone involved was rowing in the same direction….

Someone should warn CC of the nefarious WNBA lesbian army that's lying in wait to take her down and make an example of her. LO effing L.

She'll be fine and she's now essentially become the WNBA's golden goose. She'll be playing in front of sellout crowds within a few weeks and her legend will just continue to grow.

Someone should warn CC of the nefarious WNBA lesbian army that's lying in wait to take her down and make an example of her. LO effing L.

She'll be fine and she's now essentially become the WNBA's golden goose. She'll be playing in front of sellout crowds within a few weeks and her legend will just continue to grow.
It’ll be interesting to see how long the bump lasts. Season is only 40 games so we won’t really know until next year.

She is going to the WNBA, not to Europe or Antarctica or anywhere else. That is a certainty. And she will be successful. And a star. And a feature in all of their marketing and promotions. And some in the league won’t like her. But they will either come around or they’ll continue to toil in anonymity. Their choice. Seems like an easy one, but jealousy is powerful.

Absolutely. I just laugh at comments here or on Twitter that suggest CC should come back to Iowa, or go to Europe to avoid any mistreatment. Successful people strive on that type of BS, they welcome it, and push themselves through it and overcome.

If it's as bad as people like Whitlock and Dakich say, which I'm not convinced it is, I'd think the league would intervene and put a stop to it or push those involved out.

This is THE opportunity for the WNBA; it's akin to Gretzky coming into the NHL. No one has been paying attention and all of a sudden a new, bright shining star has arrived to change all that; build her up and protect her above everything and anyone, and if they have an issue with that run them out of the league and others will fall in line.

She is the golden ticket for everyone.

I don’t know Alberta, but that tweet is absolutely spot on.
I'm beginning to think this thing with Taurasi is by design. They have a rare opportunity to actually get people watching the WNBA...a league who's attendance is on a steady downward trend since its inception. What better way to do it than to create as much drama as possible.

As I've said above...turning it into a sports/reality TV hybrid would be marketing genius and very 2024. The non-tradition sports fans who tuned in this year because of CC would eat it up. Social media is already consumed with it.

Sorry, but you're a little cray. You don't think that Caitlin doesn't already have plenty of gay friends? If you're in women's basketball ... it's pretty much a given.

As for being white ... you're really off your rocker there. The WNBA is not partitioned by race whatsoever. Plenty of terrific players of pretty much all ethnicities.

As for your original contention ... you live in this country, right? We live in a consumer-nation. Many (if not most) decisions are driven by money.

Iowa certainly had received a tough draw ... but it wasn't out of any lack of love. I'm willing to bet that it was driven by the desire to leverage the schedule so that would yield as many high-profile match-ups as possible ... thereby driving up viewership and, ultimately, allowing them to have more future leverage when it comes to negotiating future TV contracts. Follow the money! Pretty simple!

Just look at how things played out ... worked like a charm! Furthermore, Iowa rose to the occasion too! Not a huge shocker ... Iowa has able to play with anyone this year. Women's basketball gained a great deal this year ... because of Caitlin and Iowa!

I'm beginning to think this thing with Taurasi is by design. They have a rare opportunity to actually get people watching the WNBA...a league who's attendance is on a steady downward trend since its inception. What better way to do it than to create as much drama as possible.

As I've said above...turning it into a sports/reality TV hybrid would be marketing genius and very 2024. The non-tradition sports fans who tuned in this year because of CC would eat it up. Social media is already consumed with it.
If you've tracked Taurasi and Bird before ... they've been complimentary about Caitlin before.

Now Taurasi is 100% a competitor ... so she wants the spotlight every bit as much as Caitlin. Thus, I'm sure that a part of her wants to keep Caitlin "in her place" as a rookie. However, Taurasi is also a very smart and savvy person ... for all the talent she has, she gets WAY underpaid compared to her male counterparts (in the NBA). If she and Caitlin can help leverage the current attention to drive up interest and viewership ... that is a step towards making things better in the women's game for EVERYONE ... and that also includes better pay (which obviously benefits her as well).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT