• Iowa: Kirk Ferentz is due for a really good year

Votes: 145 68.1%
  • Nebraska: The Frost effect takes hold

Votes: 33 15.5%
  • Minnesota: Row Row Row your boat

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • Iowa State: Campbell is the real deal

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • Kentucky: This is about basketball right?

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hmm, lets see. Nebraska is paying Riley $170,000 a month for the next three years, still paying Bo $128,000 a month til Feb of 2019 and of course Frost at $417,000 a month. That is $715,000 per month in head coach salaries. Lets say football is four months long. That's $2.86 million. Lets be generous and say Nebraska wins 7 games. That's $409,000 per win. WOW! Just WOW!

So using YOUR math, I'd say eight wins in Nebraska is worth nearly $3.3 million.

Maybe not worth it but that's what it's gonna cost ya! Good thing I didn't factor in what you owe the AD.

I suppose we can call that a necessary squandering to avoid settling..

Just a fun little question for all the posters on here. Who will be the best team from this bunch, it's gonna be a long offseason folks.

I voted for Iowa (full disclosure)...Fant is a All American TE. Stanley will be back.

If I couldn't vote for Iowa, I would have picked the Cyclones. I think Campbell is a great coach. That win last year @ Norman was impressive. Frost will be tough at Nebraska. Like another poster mentioned...beating the Huskers this year will set the table and be huge perception wise.

This is the first post from a Neb fan that I haven’t hated in a long time. Get out of here Nebrasketball before I actually give your post a like.
Haha thats awesome to hear! I came over here to check out some Josh Jackson stuff since being a chiefs fan, I obviously would like to draft a corner first round, and came across this thread

I voted for Iowa (full disclosure)...Fant is a All American TE. Stanley will be back.

If I couldn't vote for Iowa, I would have picked the Cyclones. I think Campbell is a great coach. That win last year @ Norman was impressive. Frost will be tough at Nebraska. Like another poster mentioned...beating the Huskers this year will set the table and be huge perception wise.

I like both Campbell and Frost as well. Bright young guys with boundless energy, I bet the players love playing for these guys.

I think Fleck could be decent, his catchphrases just come across as hokey to me though. If the players love him, thats gonna translate to wins. Who am I to question it.

Reactions: A.Woolridge
I’m pretty sure Northwestern treats the Hawkeyes as a measuring stick, so I do think it has bearing on their trajectory. And I’m more leery of the NU game than the UNL one
at Purdue wont be a gimme although they lost a lot up front from the defense.

Frost might have to take his lumps in 2018 but he could have a strong team in 2019.
how fast their OL/DL come together will determine how fast they rebound , they are soft on both sides and until that changes teams will line up and punch them in the mouth till they stop the run and can run the ball themselves , spread wont work in cold temps with wind in NOV games .

how fast their OL/DL come together will determine how fast they rebound , they are soft on both sides and until that changes teams will line up and punch them in the mouth till they stop the run and can run the ball themselves , spread wont work in cold temps with wind in NOV games .

It’s a spread option offense, not an air raid so I dont quite understand why it wont work. I guess the biggest benefit as far as the offensive line is concerned is that we will no longer be running some complex pro style offense that demands a pocket. The WCO is not a successful offensive system at the college level.

I think we are likely looking at 8-5 again. Wouldn't be at all surprised if we are not the team with the most wins, but we could put things together and make a strong run too. Hard to know right now. We need some real playmakers to emerge in the skill groups and Lines to put us over the hump.
What would that be ... 7-5 during the regular season with a bowl victory? Or 8-4 during the regular season with a bowl loss?

Not that I want to chalk too much up concerning our schedule ... but I cannot help it. Consider past precedent:
  • 2007: Considered a ridiculously "easy" schedule because we missed both OSU and Michigan. We absolutely sucked that season ... gutted at WR, crappy QB, and a ridiculously green OL. Our D was solid ... although we were iffy at safety and our LB play wasn't too flashy. All the same .... 6-6 through the regular season.
  • 2008: Considered an "easy" schedule for the same reasons listed above. There was a lot of youth on the squad ... but most of it had some experience. The biggest transition was that the team experienced a QB-competition ... that invariably cost us a game or two. Furthermore, even had Stanzi won the job outright sooner ... his inexperience still cost us games (or would have cost us games). Hawks ended up 8-4 through the regular season.
  • 2014: By any measure - quite an "easy" schedule. "On paper" our O looked like it should have been really good. The primary knock on our D was new LBs (and a new FS). As we all probably remember - Ferentz admitted that he was likely too distracted by other factors (like fund-raising etc) and embarrassingly detached from the team that season. Furthermore, not unlike the '08 season, a QB competition struck the squad and possibly divided the locker room (at least to some extent). The Hawks ended up 7-5 through the regular season.
  • 2015: Again, for the 2nd year in a row - quite an "easy" schedule. On paper, it looked like the D could struggle due to newness at LB and DT. On O, there was excitement that Beathard was named the starter - but quite a number of quality WRs left after the '14 season, the group of RBs was largely a mystery, and the OL was set to feature 3 sophomore starters (including all-new OTs). Hawks ended up 12-0 ... thereby giving birth to the "New Kirk" era!
As you look at the 2018 schedule - the cross-over teams are Indiana, Maryland, and PSU. Thus, going off of perception ... the top 4 teams in the east are usually among OSU, MSU, PSU, and Michigan. Of those top teams - we only catch one of them. On top of that ... compared to the prior 2 seasons, PSU's stud OC has been hired away AND many of their top players on both sides of the ball are gone. If the Hawks can limit McSorley - that game appears very winnable. If you look to the west - the primary team that has been clearly better than us is Wisconsin. Given personnel turnover on D ... they might finally be "mortal." On the flip side, the Wisconsin running game should continue to be a beast. If the Hawks can get by Wisconsin ... then the sky is the limit!

Of the 4 "easy" schedules listed above - 3 were marred by either dealing with a new QB or a QB competition. The only season where we featured a relatively experienced QB was in '15 ... and, even then, it marked Beathard's first season as the unquestioned full-time starter. Of the 4 listed seasons, the arguable weakest D was the '14 unit. On "paper" the '08 and '14 OLs were the best. In terms of skill-players the '08 squad appeared the best (at least in terms of talent) - although the '15 squad arguably had the best overall depth.

Where does the '18 squad fit into this discussion? Even with new LBs, the '18 D should be a pretty good group. The group also benefits from having a returning starter at QB. The skill players aren't necessarily on par with the '08 or '15 squads - but they're better than the rest. The only thing I could assert about the OL is that it couldn't possibly be worse than the '07 group.

It's the off-season and it's the "job" of fans to spew idle speculation ... and I'm not different ... so what do the factors considered above suggest about the '18 squad? If adversity strikes ... I could see a 7-5 or 8-4 regular season being possible. However, the above considerations embolden me to anticipate that the Hawks could do better ... perhaps more akin to 9+ wins (perhaps a higher lower bound?).

Of course, a consideration about the schedule that few have probably made ... the quality of the lesser-touted teams are arguably creeping up. While Maryland was one of the worst teams in the B1G in '17 ... a big part of that was attributable to all the adversity that they faced at QB. Brohm was a freakin' magician at Purdue ... will they continue to ascend the ladder? How well will the Gophers row their boat? Northwestern is always quite a well-coached outfit ... typically with talent on par with our Hawks. Indiana's coach values defense ... quite a change from the past. The Hoosiers are usually capable of giving a scare to their "betters." Irrespective of how annoying we might find ISU or Nebraska ... it's hard to argue about the quality of Campbell and Frost as collegiate coaches. The only teams that seems "guaranteed" to be BAD in '18 is Illinois ... but, even then, they cannot be as bad as they were in '17, right?

Reactions: Scott559
As you look at the 2018 schedule - the cross-over teams are Indiana, Maryland, and PSU. Thus, going off of perception ... the top 4 teams in the east are usually among OSU, MSU, PSU, and Michigan. Of those top teams - we only catch one of them. On top of that ... compared to the prior 2 seasons, PSU's stud OC has been hired away AND many of their top players on both sides of the ball are gone. If the Hawks can limit McSorley - that game appears very winnable. If you look to the west - the primary team that has been clearly better than us is Wisconsin. Given personnel turnover on D ... they might finally be "mortal." On the flip side, the Wisconsin running game should continue to be a beast. If the Hawks can get by Wisconsin ... then the sky is the limit!

Putting on my BlackandGold blinders I like the Hawks chances against Wisconsin this year. Playing in Kinnick with hopefully a chip on their collective shoulder...yadda yadda yadda

I'm most worried about @ Indiana and @ Penn St. Right now looking at the schedule I would be disappointed with an 8-4 regular season record.

That's a no-brainer. Northwestern is a better football program.

Not for long. No, I'm not one of the "Frost is god" camp, but I expect him to improve the fuskers significantly. Riley was so milquetoast, new energy and intensity alone will make them better.

By week 12 they'll be a much better team than they were last year and you can bet he'll have the Iowa game marked on their calendar, whether they've had a surprising year or are still sub .500. I think Frost will approach it as a stepping stone game for the program. But...advantage Kinnick.

Or...how many Little Red fans are obsessed with the Iowa Football program hilarious?
In fairness, an Iowa fan yet again started a post discussion including Nebraska on an Iowa board, so sorry - calling them obsessed sounds somewhat strange - particularly on a thread that includes them in the discussion. Maybe they discuss us 50% of the time too? Don’t know as I don’t go to their board.

Reactions: Hawk_FiveO
Putting on my BlackandGold blinders I like the Hawks chances against Wisconsin this year. Playing in Kinnick with hopefully a chip on their collective shoulder...yadda yadda yadda

I'm most worried about @ Indiana and @ Penn St. Right now looking at the schedule I would be disappointed with an 8-4 regular season record.
you might be the only one on here that is expecting IN to be a bigger challenge than WI :)

In fairness, an Iowa fan yet again started a post discussion including Nebraska on an Iowa board, so sorry - calling them obsessed sounds somewhat strange - particularly on a thread that includes them in the discussion. Maybe they discuss us 50% of the time too? Don’t know as I don’t go to their board.
if you do stop by, make sure it's not dark outside

Keep in mind there are about...a sum total of 5 fans that stir up husker crap here. The rest of us are like "whatever" but the Hawkeye obsessed husker fans really want Iowa fans as a whole to care...we don't. The same holds true for ISU. A couple guys wind it up. The rest of us?...whatever. But if it makes you feel better...carry on.

So you think it’s strange to call Nebbers obsessed with Iowa even though so many of those lil bros are on our site all the time?

And you admit yourself that you never visit their site. So then why do they always visit our site. Answer: lil bro Nebbers are obsessed with big bro Hawks!

So you think it’s strange to call Nebbers obsessed with Iowa even though so many of those lil bros are on our site all the time?

And you admit yourself that you never visit their site. So then why do they always visit our site. Answer: lil bro Nebbers are obsessed with big bro Hawks!
I understand the urge to flame by throwing out terms like lil' bro ... but I think that it is just as enjoyable to appreciate the fact that we cheer for the better team. Even in recent history, when they managed to win ... it was still far from an outcome where they demonstrated that they 'owned' us. In contrast, we've taken them to the woodshed a few times ... and arguably should have done so in '14 as well.

woulda, coulda shoulda
Fair enough ... but a 17 point lead with around 23 minutes left in the game ... and the fact that Iowa's O drove deep into Husker territory only to turn it over 2 times in a row early in the game? We're talking about a woulda, coulda shoulda scenario that might have seen Iowa up by 20 to 30 points. As it is, it took an epic Iowa meltdown to result in the loss.

It’s a spread option offense, not an air raid so I dont quite understand why it wont work. I guess the biggest benefit as far as the offensive line is concerned is that we will no longer be running some complex pro style offense that demands a pocket. The WCO is not a successful offensive system at the college level.
Its not just a matter of what offense you run, its the overall physicality of the league. Your defense has to be able to line up and not get blown off the ball as well, so there's some work to do.

Its not just a matter of what offense you run, its the overall physicality of the league. Your defense has to be able to line up and not get blown off the ball as well, so there's some work to do.

Defense is important, I cant disagree there and I'm sure our coaches know this as well.

8 wins is something special?
With ALL that talent we keep hearing about?
10+ wins or bust!

Clueless post. 8 wins in Frost's first year with that schedule would be just short of miraculous, and would probably win him B1G Coach of the Year. 10+ wins in '19, but too many good teams on the road in his first year to get more than 8 wins.

Clueless post. 8 wins in Frost's first year with that schedule would be just short of miraculous, and would probably win him B1G Coach of the Year. 10+ wins in '19, but too many good teams on the road in his first year to get more than 8 wins.
I'm just going off what you braskans keep spouting here!
You come here each spring talking about all the talent you have. Now you have your coach....so what exactly is left?
8 wins...miraculous? Make up your minds. Are you guys blue bloods loaded with talent or not? lol

I think Iowa is a pretty safe bet here. Get ISU and Nebraska at home, should be wins. Unless that QB for Minny is the real deal I just can't see them taking that big of a step forward this year.
They shouldn't be wins because they are at home. ISU is going to be very tough next year. You don't know squat IZUBryce

Hmm, lets see. Nebraska is paying Riley $170,000 a month for the next three years, still paying Bo $128,000 a month til Feb of 2019 and of course Frost at $417,000 a month. That is $715,000 per month in head coach salaries. Lets say football is four months long. That's $2.86 million. Lets be generous and say Nebraska wins 7 games. That's $409,000 per win. WOW! Just WOW!

So using YOUR math, I'd say eight wins in Nebraska is worth nearly $3.3 million.

Maybe not worth it but that's what it's gonna cost ya! Good thing I didn't factor in what you owe the AD.
Doesn't cost Nebraska a dime...Warren handles up on those obligations.

Actually, 6 wins next season for Nebby would be miraculous.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
They shouldn't be wins because they are at home. ISU is going to be very tough next year. You don't know squat IZUBryce
Why should ISwho be "very tough next year"? They lost several of their best receivers and LB Lanning, and a decent defensive back, among others. Hawks will be fine at Kinnick against the suclowns.

ADVERTISEMENT