ADVERTISEMENT

Who Here Likes the New French Immigration Law?

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
[The] bill ... reduced access to welfare benefits for foreigners, toughened rules for foreign students, introduced migration quotas, made it harder for the children of non-nationals born in France to become French, and ruled that dual nationals sentenced for serious crimes against the police could lose French citizenship.

A key part of the bill was that some social security benefits for foreigners should be conditional on having spent five years in France, or 30 months for those with jobs. The left-wing opposition said this amounted to Macron copying the controversial central manifesto pledge of decades of far-right politics under Jean-Marie Le Pen and his daughter Marine Le Pen: the notion of “national preference” in which benefits and housing should be “for the French first”.

[The] bill ... reduced access to welfare benefits for foreigners, toughened rules for foreign students, introduced migration quotas, made it harder for the children of non-nationals born in France to become French, and ruled that dual nationals sentenced for serious crimes against the police could lose French citizenship.

A key part of the bill was that some social security benefits for foreigners should be conditional on having spent five years in France, or 30 months for those with jobs. The left-wing opposition said this amounted to Macron copying the controversial central manifesto pledge of decades of far-right politics under Jean-Marie Le Pen and his daughter Marine Le Pen: the notion of “national preference” in which benefits and housing should be “for the French first”.

I think that a nation, to a good degree, gets to be selfish about its quality and health.

If immigrants are more harm than help... Then make it harder to immigrate.

I think they have the right to discriminate.

Reactions: h-hawk and Hawk_82

Those rules aren't surprising.

Nearly every developed country in the world requires immigrants to demonstrate they are able to provide for themselves before becoming a permanent resident, and many require 10 years after becoming a permanent resident to become a citizen. I looked into relocating a few years back, and researched the laws of about a dozen countries.

I think the most objectionable one is making it harder for the children of non-nationals born in France to become French.

Seems to me that if you are born in a country and live in that country, you should be allowed to be a citizen of that country.

I think the most objectionable one is making it harder for the children of non-nationals born in France to become French.

Seems to me that if you are born in a country and live in that country, you should be allowed to be a citizen of that country.
That used to make sense, but people these days abuse that worldwide. It then becomes an anchor baby situation. Pregnant women will travel to another country to have their baby, and then the entire family gets to stay, and in many cases, enjoy government benefits.

Those rules aren't surprising.

Nearly every developed country in the world requires immigrants to demonstrate they are able to provide for themselves before becoming a permanent resident, and many require 10 years after becoming a permanent resident to become a citizen. I looked into relocating a few years back, and researched the laws of about a dozen countries.
I'm curious about which countries you were looking at and which were easiest or hardest to make the switch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT