ADVERTISEMENT

Who should we redshirt?

JerryDennard

HB MVP
Feb 12, 2009
Chicago, IL
Given the scholly distribution and the logjam at the SG / SF position, Fran may want to think about redshirting 1 or maybe even 2 of the incoming freshmen. Not all of them are going to see major minutes, especially come B1G season, and we are going to have trouble recruiting 6-5 / 6-7 guys the next couple of years (not that we need any more - but in the 2020 season we might).

Of course, all those kids will want to play and none would likely take the "take a shirt" talk lightly or even well...

Based on nothing, I would think that (assuming any redshirts) the most likely redshirt candidates are: Moss, Wagner and/or Fleming. That would make our depth chart look as follows:

PG: Gessell/Clemmons; C. Williams
SG: Jok; Clemmons; Ellingson/C. Williams
SF: Uthoff; Uhl; Hutton; Baer
PF: Uhl/Uthoff/D. Jones; Hutton; Baer
C: Woodbury; Uthoff/Uhl; ???

While it appears Fleming is the most ready, body-wise, I think he could use a redshirt to tighten up his D and 3-game. Wagner is such an explosive athlete, and fills a potential need at the 5 spot, but he seems pretty raw. Moss needs to put on a little weight - he's 6-5 and 175 and RDM wasn't really that effective until he matured a bit and got to 190-200 lbs.

I may also be over-valuing Christian Williams - but the fact that Fran wanted him, even though we already had Hutton, Fleming, and Moss (and also Jok) at that spot and needed a PF/C or PG shows me that C-Williams must have PG game and be ready to play now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News