ADVERTISEMENT

Who TF scouted this game??

2114386315-425932_333129493406729_244753448911001_949498_405778461_n.jpg

If the Hawks shoot their season average from the floor they win this one going away.

They picked a bad time to stop hitting their shots. 20% from 3 when your opponent is basically selling out to take away your inside and transition game is a bad, bad thing.

Tip your hat to Richmond's scouting and game plan, but there was nothing Fran could do if his kids cant make shots.

If the Hawks shoot their season average from the floor they win this one going away.

They picked a bad time to stop hitting their shots. 20% from 3 when your opponent is basically selling out to take away your inside and transition game is a bad, bad thing.

Tip your hat to Richmond's scouting and game plan, but there was nothing Fran could do if his kids cant make shots.
Smart teams figure out different ways to score if the average way isn't working

Try going inside instead of dribbling around the three point line.

So what needs to be done. Fire Fran I think it is time to get a couple new assistance coaches . New blood that can get good basketball player that can play defense . Our shooting was off but omg defense was worst how many times did they back cut on us. Is this the best we will ever be
The D gave up .97/possession. Hardly the worst. It was the shooting, stupid. Guess what we gave up to Purdue in the BTT championship game……. .97/possession. The difference? Hell, you already know the difference….I think.

Right? If we are going to criticize anything it would be the reluctance(inability?) to get the ball Murray. We were finally able to get him the ball in the post late but by then it was too little, too late.
I honestly think they were trying and couldn't get it done. They were dribbling around trying to get it inside. PMac was open all day - an obvious defensive strategy. Kris was 0-5 which was a killer - he would normally make 2 or 3 of those, plus he passed up a few. Of course, the foul on the last one didn't do the Hawks and favors.

I honestly think they were trying and couldn't get it done. They were dribbling around trying to get it inside. PMac was open all day - an obvious defensive strategy. Kris was 0-5 which was a killer - he would normally make 2 or 3 of those, plus he passed up a few. Of course, the foul on the last one didn't do the Hawks and favo
If we had a real Center that would help a lot. Good thing we didn’t use that extra scholly on a 5 in the portal and instead gave it to a perennial bench player who never logged a single meaningful minute.

The game plan was not the problem execution was. Richmond was making us shoot from 3 and when guys like Perkins lost all confidence from shooting the 3 they stopped guarding him on the permitter making it nearly impossible to drive or feed the post.

The game plan was not the problem execution was. Richmond was making us shoot from 3 and when guys like Perkins lost all confidence from shooting the 3 they stopped guarding him on the permitter making it nearly impossible to drive or feed the post.
Not just Perkins either. Same deal with Keegan. Which made it harder to get the ball in to him.

Reactions: HawkOn15
That coach needs to be fired before they get back to Iowa city!
I don't know, but I'll bet Fran hired him.
Did that same guy also allow two Richmond 11-0 runs without calling a timeout? Fran should definitely fire that guy, too.
Which assistant thought it would be a good idea to make absolutely no adjustments to the game plan to make sure their best player got more than one shot off over an almost 10 minute period? Fire him.
Was there an assistant coach in charge of keeping these guys focused on the most important game of their lives instead of being distracted with social media zingers? He should be fired, too.

If we had a real Center that would help a lot. Good thing we didn’t use that extra scholly on a 5 in the portal and instead gave it to a perennial bench player who never logged a single meaningful minute.
Fran should have put Ash in to see if he could hit from outside.

Just asking.....Do we have the oldest set of assistant coaches in the country? I remember Kirk Speraw (65 yrs old) as a bench player for Lute Olson. Sherman Dillard is 66 years old. Billy Taylor is the youngster at a mere 48 years old. Heck, McCaffery is 62. Maybe Fran needs to get out of his comfort zone , surrounding himself with like minded coaches, and rejuvenate the staff a bit so as to make them a little more relatable to todays players. They don't all have to be (grand)father figures.

Iowa gave up SIX points on inbounds plays. SIX! On plays you're taught to defend in elementary school. I don't think the Hawkeyes gave up six points on such plays all season . . . until it mattered most. Mind boggling, especially when you realize Iowa lost by FOUR.

And giving up those back cuts right off the bat, wow. That's a staple of the Richmond offense, and it's no secret. Iowa should have been ready to shut that down from the time they got off the bus. Instead, they stood around like they were mystified.

IDK, but when you think about it, the way Iowa played in that game looked a lot like the Ronnie Harmon Rose Bowl. I mean, it was RICHMOND, not the Phoenix Suns.

Just asking.....Do we have the oldest set of assistant coaches in the country? I remember Kirk Speraw (65 yrs old) as a bench player for Lute Olson. Sherman Dillard is 66 years old. Billy Taylor is the youngster at a mere 48 years old. Heck, McCaffery is 62. Maybe Fran needs to get out of his comfort zone , surrounding himself with like minded coaches, and rejuvenate the staff a bit so as to make them a little more relatable to todays players. They don't all have to be (grand)father figures.

Larry Brown (81) is an assistant at Memphis under Penny Hardaway. Has to bring their average up a bit. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT