ADVERTISEMENT

Who was the fastest MLB player ever around the bases?

For my money I'm going with

33e126_68517f97c777425dac414e0372a36819~mv2.jpg

This was my initial thought. From that era, Willie Wilson, Bo Jackson, Vince Coleman, and Rickie Henderson all come to mind too.

Mind you, pure speed as far as rounding the bases was indeed important - but so was knowing how to cut your path to where you didn't really slow down, plus being able to not stumble a fraction of a second every time you stepped on a base.

I can't remember the exact game, but there was a Cardinals game in the 80's where the bases were loaded with 2 out. I want to say it was Coleman on 3rd, Tommy Herr on 2nd, and McGee on first. Given there were 2 outs, all runners would take off on the ball in play. The batter (can't remember whom) hit a gapper and obviously all runners took off. The defensive relay threw home. Herr slid, thinking the throw was to get him out, only McGee ended up right behind him and scored standing up while having to dodge Herr still on the ground around the plate.

Anyway, they replayed runners on base where you could see McGee gaining on Herr that was hilarious. Herr, while no speed demon, wasn't exactly slow. But when McGee rounded second it was like afterburners kicked in. Herr was running flat out - and McGee still caught him.

McGee was a fascinating player in that you'd watch him walk and it'd look like he was in pain - a very odd looking gait. But when he was running the bases there was no hitch in his giddy'up. Maybe I'm prejudice because I'm a Cardinals fan, but circling the bases he's the fastest I've ever seen.

This was my initial thought. From that era, Willie Wilson, Bo Jackson, Vince Coleman, and Rickie Henderson all come to mind too.

Mind you, pure speed as far as rounding the bases was indeed important - but so was knowing how to cut your path to where you didn't really slow down, plus being able to not stumble a fraction of a second every time you stepped on a base.

I can't remember the exact game, but there was a Cardinals game in the 80's where the bases were loaded with 2 out. I want to say it was Coleman on 3rd, Tommy Herr on 2nd, and McGee on first. Given there were 2 outs, all runners would take off on the ball in play. The batter (can't remember whom) hit a gapper and obviously all runners took off. The defensive relay threw home. Herr slid, thinking the throw was to get him out, only McGee ended up right behind him and scored standing up while having to dodge Herr still on the ground around the plate.

Anyway, they replayed runners on base where you could see McGee gaining on Herr that was hilarious. Herr, while no speed demon, wasn't exactly slow. But when McGee rounded second it was like afterburners kicked in. Herr was running flat out - and McGee still caught him.

McGee was a fascinating player in that you'd watch him walk and it'd look like he was in pain - a very odd looking gait. But when he was running the bases there was no hitch in his giddy'up. Maybe I'm prejudice because I'm a Cardinals fan, but circling the bases he's the fastest I've ever seen.
He had that kinda funky pigeon toed walk, but it was flat out burn when he ran.

I don't know how often he went 3 bases, or if he ever hit an inside the park HR, but Bo Jackson has to be up there. Dude was one of the fastest NFL players ever and had a 40 time quicker than Deion.

A fun story for folks familiar with Cedar Rapids minor league baseball. In 1988, Ramon Sambo played for the Cedar Rapids Reds and stole 98 bases in 139 games. I think that's still a minor league record? He was an incredible runner. Every time he got on base, he was stealing. He never got past AAA. That always surprised me, because as a 1 or 2 hitter, he was tough!

Reactions: VodkaSam

STL was a problem in the 80's with all of their speed. They'd hit high choppers off that turf and get to first before the ball landed.

What a tragic story his career is, despite all that he achieved. He tore the ACL in his right knee during the 1951 World Series. His rookie year! And he played the rest of his career on it. And he could still fly! I remember Billy Martin talking about how Mickey could dislocate his knee with his hands. It was that damaged.
Blame Joltin’ Joe & the grate for that ‘51 injury.

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
STL was a problem in the 80's with all of their speed. They'd hit high choppers off that turf and get to first before the ball landed.
Absolutely! Incredible speed. They were playing “Whitey Ball”. Herzog passed away in April of this year at the age of 92.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT