ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be Iowa’s next commitment?

Personally I hope it’s one those TE.

Question is this a year much like the year 2016 were we take 3 TE. I can’t imagine with guys like Theo and Fuaria on the board we pass on any of them

Reactions: FlickShagwell
Iowa wants to get 2 high school TE's this year plus the Rutgers transfer Travis Vokolek.
I would imagine that as they were recruiting TEs in the '20 class ... all the reciprocating interest from their top targets encouraged them to move Lee over to DE.

Also, I would imagine that being closer to family could be a big lure that helps Iowa to land Volkovek. Also, is there any word on Volkovek's injury?

I have no idea but I have an awfully long wish list
Iowa's early commits most often fit into 1 of 3 different categories:
  1. Geographically biased recruits (kids who are from Iowa ... or who are close)
  2. Guys who play at positions of traditional strength for the Hawks (particulary guys on the line ... but also TEs, LBs, and safeties).
  3. Guys who have developed a really special relationship with our coaches and/or recruiters.
So the question is ... of guys who have Iowa offers ... who particularly fits these criteria?

June 6 is a big recruiting weekend. Committed and Uncommitted official visitors. May be more. I would put Baker as my most likely to commit next.

Baker - wr - 4 or 5 visits on his own nickel, Iowa has been recruiting him a long time
Johnson - te - top 3 at his position, he and Yelverton would make quite a duo
Mostella - de 6' 6" and athletic
Porter - db out of Alabama
Hurkett - verbal
Hogan - verbal
Volk - verbal
Jones - verbal

Top predictor on TOS shows undecided for David Baker. Not sure where things are with him.
Mack has set a May 20th commit date so could be him.

Last edited:
Reactions: bloodhound79
Iowa's early commits most often fit into 1 of 3 different categories:
  1. Geographically biased recruits (kids who are from Iowa ... or who are close)
  2. Guys who play at positions of traditional strength for the Hawks (particulary guys on the line ... but also TEs, LBs, and safeties).
  3. Guys who have developed a really special relationship with our coaches and/or recruiters.
So the question is ... of guys who have Iowa offers ... who particularly fits these criteria?
Not to be a smartass, but what other categories of recruits are there?

Mack is my guess for the next commit later this month.

June is the big month with lots of scheduled visits.

I think we have a good shot with the 2 from Largo, Gulley and Matthews. Both visiting in June.

I think one of the tight ends commits this summer.

AJ Lawson is a good chance. We were his first P5 and Minnesota just offered.

If Iowa offers Brady Peterson then he'll likely commit very soon too.

Not to be a smartass, but what other categories of recruits are there?
Some recruits develop good relationships with the coaches ... but not necessarily "special ones." When I was thinking of special relationships ... I was thinking more like the sort of relationship that Coach Bell forged with Tyrone Tracy. Also, Kirk forged a really unique relationship with Justin Britt too (although Iowa is obviously known for its OL development).

Also, there are obviously a few positions where Iowa isn't as renown for developing ... most notably WR and QB. While Iowa clearly likes running the ball ... the Hawks don't exactly have a long string of RBs who have developed into elite players either.

Iowa used to have a really strong reputation relating to defensive linemen ... but that reputation has seemingly stagnated to some extent. Isn't Anthony Nelson the first defensive end we've had drafted since Adrian Clayborn? Prior to that ... our rep had been a little stronger relating to DT development. Guys like Mike Daniels, Carl Davis, and Jaleel Johnson each had been drafted. Of course, we haven't had a DT drafted since Jaleel.

Lastly, pretty much any place outside of a 250 mile radius from Iowa City is geographically removed from Hawkeye country.

So the point being ... quite a lot of recruits fall into categories outside the ones listed. Here are a few of them:
  • Guys with a good relationship with the coaches ... but who live outside of Hawkeye country.
  • Guys who are way under-recruited, who don't know much about Iowa, but Iowa is their lone offer from a P5 program.
  • Guys who see themselves as schematic "fits" for Iowa - pro-style QBs are particularly guys who fit into this category. Also, bludgeoning RBs are also guys who seem to fit into this category too. Such guys may like the coaches ... but the thing that pulls them into Iowa is that Iowa matches them in terms of style-of-play.
  • Guys who are under-recruited ... but Iowa is one of the few teams to offer and reach-out early. Thus, while the relationship may not be "special" (as I have it defined) ... the recruit truly appreciates how Iowa stuck with them early AND how Iowa believed in them when most other programs did not.
  • .... this list really goes on ....

June 6 is a big recruiting weekend. Committed and Uncommitted official visitors. May be more. I would put Baker as my most likely to commit next.

Baker - wr - 4 or 5 visits on his own nickel, Iowa has been recruiting him a long time
Johnson - te - top 3 at his position, he and Yelverton would make quite a duo
Mostella - de 6' 6" and athletic
Porter - db out of Alabama
Hurkett - verbal
Hogan - verbal
Volk - verbal
Jones - verbal

Actually,

June 21st is when everyone is visiting except Johnson. Theo Johnson would be a great get but still feel he's a long shot. Hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: bloodhound79
Actually,

June 21st is when everyone is visiting except Johnson. Theo Johnson would be a great get but still feel he's a long shot. Hope I'm wrong.

The guys at Hawkeye Insider have said they've heard not to sleep on Iowa's chances with Odom.

He would be a great get especially with his offer list.

Some recruits develop good relationships with the coaches ... but not necessarily "special ones." When I was thinking of special relationships ... I was thinking more like the sort of relationship that Coach Bell forged with Tyrone Tracy. Also, Kirk forged a really unique relationship with Justin Britt too (although Iowa is obviously known for its OL development).

Also, there are obviously a few positions where Iowa isn't as renown for developing ... most notably WR and QB. While Iowa clearly likes running the ball ... the Hawks don't exactly have a long string of RBs who have developed into elite players either.

Iowa used to have a really strong reputation relating to defensive linemen ... but that reputation has seemingly stagnated to some extent. Isn't Anthony Nelson the first defensive end we've had drafted since Adrian Clayborn? Prior to that ... our rep had been a little stronger relating to DT development. Guys like Mike Daniels, Carl Davis, and Jaleel Johnson each had been drafted. Of course, we haven't had a DT drafted since Jaleel.

Lastly, pretty much any place outside of a 250 mile radius from Iowa City is geographically removed from Hawkeye country.

So the point being ... quite a lot of recruits fall into categories outside the ones listed. Here are a few of them:
  • Guys with a good relationship with the coaches ... but who live outside of Hawkeye country.
  • Guys who are way under-recruited, who don't know much about Iowa, but Iowa is their lone offer from a P5 program.
  • Guys who see themselves as schematic "fits" for Iowa - pro-style QBs are particularly guys who fit into this category. Also, bludgeoning RBs are also guys who seem to fit into this category too. Such guys may like the coaches ... but the thing that pulls them into Iowa is that Iowa matches them in terms of style-of-play.
  • Guys who are under-recruited ... but Iowa is one of the few teams to offer and reach-out early. Thus, while the relationship may not be "special" (as I have it defined) ... the recruit truly appreciates how Iowa stuck with them early AND how Iowa believed in them when most other programs did not.
A very well thought out post. I think nearby airports with flights to Cedar Rapids can help greatly for those prospects who live outside Hawkeye country. We have brought in recruits from states like California, Colorado, Florida and Ohio to name a few.,

My five minutes of research and here’s my top 5 for most likely to commit:

1. Leshon Williams: RB
2. Keavion Mack: WR
3. Caleb Fauria: TE
4. Aaron Witt: DE
5. Kevo Wesley: OL

It is only my opinion without inside knowledge that we miss out on Baker and probably land one or two of the Largo athletes (Gulley or Matthews). Swarm2020 has me believing the future looks bright in Iowa City. Go Hawks!

Didn't want to Row the Boat?

Or saw thru the Fleckster's bullshit?
The second one.. idk.. a lot of people don’t like the pushy salesman, they agree at first then have regrets.. but commitment is a final sale of bill

The second one.. idk.. a lot of people don’t like the pushy salesman, they agree at first then have regrets.. but commitment is a final sale of bill
I'm guessing he wanted a sure thing up front and then waited for other programs to gauge interest.

It's really why there's too much hype until the signature is on the dotted line.

Leshon Williams seems to check a number of the familiar boxes ....
  • Iowa appears to be his first P5 offer
  • Oak Lawn is within 250 miles from Iowa City
  • While having nice quickness, Leshon appears to be a stronger sort of RB. I agree with the comparison to Jewell Hampton (that occurred in a different thread). All the same, Leshon's running style is an obvious fit for Iowa.
However, Leshon highlights another "type" of recruit that I didn't really mention before ... and that is a recruit who already has some close-ties to the program. In this instance, having Sebastian Castro heading to the Hawks this June was likely another strong enticement for Leshon.

So the question is ... who's next? It would appear that the Hawks have quite a number of newer offers and/or renewed interest from guys within the immediate Hawkeye-country footprint. Some of those guys include ...
  1. Aaron Witt (MN)
  2. Sean McLaughlin (IL)
  3. Kevo Wesley (IL)
  4. Greyson Metz (IL)
  5. AJ Lawson (IL)
  6. Kevion Mack (IL)
Given Iowa's strong "incursion" into Illinois over the past few years ... it seems like we're continuing to build on our recruiting momentum there.

IL commits '18: Evans, Jenkins, Shannon
IL commits '19: Castro, Lee, Miamen, LaPorta, Harris
IL commits '20: Elsbury, L. Williams, Bruce

My five minutes of research and here’s my top 5 for most likely to commit:

1. Leshon Williams: RB
2. Keavion Mack: WR
3. Caleb Fauria: TE
4. Aaron Witt: DE
5. Kevo Wesley: OL

It is only my opinion without inside knowledge that we miss out on Baker and probably land one or two of the Largo athletes (Gulley or Matthews). Swarm2020 has me believing the future looks bright in Iowa City. Go Hawks!
I like that list. Would love to see all those guys end up at Iowa.

I like that list. Would love to see all those guys end up at Iowa.
While I'm very excited about Yelverton ... Iowa seems like it's retaining a lot of interest from most of the top TE recruits it's pursuing ... so I'm excited about the 2nd TE we'll land in the '20 class too (whomever that individual might end up being).

Hope we pull in Witt and find a true weak side passer rusher if Mclaughlin goes to Northwestern. Seems like Hunt,Karchinski,Bruce and Lois are all DT, so we need a few explosive edge guys to go with them.

Hope we pull in Witt and find a true weak side passer rusher if Mclaughlin goes to Northwestern. Seems like Hunt,Karchinski,Bruce and Lois are all DT, so we need a few explosive edge guys to go with them.
Karchinki could potentially project at OG too. Lois may never develop into a D1 football player given his injury (in spite his impressive recovery)? But I digress ... I agree that a number of those guys are more DT material. Of course, many of us thought the same thing about Ballard and Clayborn ... and they both were DEs for us.

I still think the bigger question concerns the future of the "edge defender" at Iowa ... and what will be done with our current LB personnel. Many folks, like myself, see guys like Campbell and Jacobs as being guys who could either end up at DE or as an edge defender (if they don't remain at LB). You have to figure that the fact that Colbert won a starting spot as a RS FR in '18 ... that pontentially takes one of two starting LB spots "off the shelf" for a few years. Of course, given that we're rotating more personnel at LB these days ... maybe that isn't quite such a big deal. Also, the '18 recruiting class seems to have had quite a number of "hits" too ... with 2 guys who are legitimately in competition for playing time in '19 (Doyle and Benson).

The Cash position is exploiting our recent success recruiting DBs .... but it's contracting our demand at LB. So where do the LB-types go?

Also, a consideration that wasn't made concerns Lee's future at DE. He's a kid who is a football player! In many respects ... he reminds me a lot of Chauncey. I remember Chauncey's high school coach saying that he would do anything he was asked to do to help the team .... and that's why a lanky Detroit kid was playing at DT in high school ...among a myriad of other spots he was asked to play at. Similarly, Lee is a tough kid who do anything to help his team win. In Lee, I see a kid who is part Golston, part Nelson, and even part Ott. I truly believe that he'll be a starting DE for us in a couple of years.

Lastly, who knows how guys like Hurkett and McCall will develop? It does appear like we're going pretty hard after some really talented D-linemen in the '21 class too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT