ADVERTISEMENT

Whoa. Steveson coming back next year?

Maybe Steveson thought he had a promise of being a headliner right off the get go and later learned he was going to have to work in the "developmental", lower level wrestling league? Or....the steroid/drug testing the WWE does scared him?

Something obviously changed since last March.
That could be part of it, but along with that, I think the company realized that very few in their fanbase know who Gable Steveson is. Coming off a gold medal, Kurt Angle was an instant celebrity, but he won the gold medal in prime time in the United States. He was immediately live on the set getting interviewed on major network talk shows, back when people watched major network talkshows. It was a big deal. Steveson won his with no one in attendance on the other side of the world, and if you weren't looking for it, you didn't see it. There's also the revelation that most pro wrestling fans these days are not big sports fans. The audience has changed significantly to a comic book/video game/social media influencer fanbase, so brining in an athlete from another sport doesn't pay off like it once did.

I just found it convenient that rumors came up that he was going to wrestle one more season for the Gophers, and then two days ago his trainer in Minnesota was interviewed and said he still lives in Minneapolis and comes by to train with them a couple times a week because WWE doesn't have anything for him at this time. I think both sides are recognizing they don't have to rush anything, because there isn't any momentum at this time to capitalize off.

Reactions: vhsalum and el dub
I was recently in a conversation with some folks who are close to Stevenson. Word I was given is what Gable had been promised from the WWE isn’t coming through in a contract and he can make more money through NIL deals wrestling for the Gophers. They expect him to be wrestling collegiately this year and also believe he will compete in another Olympics.

I hate Minny but Gable Stevenson is good for college wrestling!
I agree that his dominance is good for the sport as it grabs some air time on ESPN and other outlets. But the bad boy image and dry humping someone as the clock runs out doesn’t do us any favors. IMHO

Reactions: MitchLL
his wrestlemania appearance went over like a fart in church. he didn't even look big next to Shorty Gable.

Reactions: Gobblin
I was recently in a conversation with some folks who are close to Stevenson. Word I was given is what Gable had been promised from the WWE isn’t coming through in a contract and he can make more money through NIL deals wrestling for the Gophers. They expect him to be wrestling collegiately this year and also believe he will compete in another Olympics.
Spot-on T8KUDWN, good post. Precisely my thoughts. In the real world, money is a great deal more persuasive than conversation. You can talk all-day, but show me the dough (NIL money talks, others walk).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT