ADVERTISEMENT

Whoa. Steveson coming back next year?

Yes, he was paid big $$$ by WWE last year while he wrestled for the Gophers. And, likely got some NIL money, too.

If he goes back to Minnesota, he would likely enroll second semester, take on-line classes, wrestler some home duals, win the Big Ten, the NCAA, and the Hodge again.
He isn't going to win the Hodge for a super limited schedule.

Reactions: MitchLL and el dub
He isn't going to win the Hodge for a super limited schedule.
I’m not sure he’s eligible to participate next year. I mean, he.left.his.shoes.on.the.mat…..

And everyone knows that a wrestler only does that when they are super-sure they are going to retire. Leaving shoes on the mat Willie-Nilly is not something I can support. Maybe.

**** his brand….. helping the US win the team title should be motivation enough

Do the WWE celebs even have a brand to worry about? Those fans don’t seem too discerning about …. well anything…. he comes in the ring waving a flag wearing red white and blue….. those mouth breathers will go insane
I’m pretty sure VMcM has the formula down for creating Heals and Heroes tailored for their audience.

Some have said, he’s not enough of a physical specimen to please discerning WWE fans. I say, a five your old girl could feasibly win that belt, so why not GS?

Who cares if he left shoes on the mat. Oklahoma state kid just said, guess I can make #197 again and big 10 hvy are hoping to make enough NIL money to pay him not to come back. He does seem to really enjoy putting a beat down on parris and cass. I think Schultz could give him some trouble but the kid/grown man is a stud!

• Haha
Reactions: Gobblin
Eggum might need GS to return to salvage his job.

The Gophers, as a program, have been dreadful since J left...comparatively speaking.

And if they lose Chittum...

Reactions: UndercoverHawk
I’ll never be comfortable with any link between college wrestling and WWE and especially Vince Mcmahon

WWE is entertainment for dummies that undermines real wrestling in my view….. I’m growing more accustomed to the MMA connection at least those athletes are really competing in a combat sport not following a script in a silly sideshow

Just a boomer take nobody probably wants but I’m gonna share anyway 😎
I'd agree with you except for the idea that pro wrestling undermines college wrestling.

You might've been able to make that argument in the dark ages, but everyone is wise to the business of professional wrestling now, and given the state its in, I can confidently tell you it has zero negative impact on the sport of college wrestling.

I'd agree with you except for the idea that pro wrestling undermines college wrestling.

You might've been able to make that argument in the dark ages, but everyone is wise to the business of professional wrestling now, and given the state its in, I can confidently tell you it has zero negative impact on the sport of college wrestling.

agreed. I wish mma were more lucrative. Gable in the cage is better for the fans (certainly not his health and def not at the numbers offered). If college wrestling is looked at as the “minor leagues” of mma, the sport would grow exponentially, and nil may have let a guy like Pico stay in college.

Who cares if he left shoes on the mat. Oklahoma state kid just said, guess I can make #197 again and big 10 hvy are hoping to make enough NIL money to pay him not to come back. He does seem to really enjoy putting a beat down on parris and cass. I think Schultz could give him some trouble but the kid/grown man is a stud!
Now Schultz is gonna give him trouble??? You been drinking?

agreed. I wish mma were more lucrative. Gable in the cage is better for the fans (certainly not his health and def not at the numbers offered). If college wrestling is looked at as the “minor leagues” of mma, the sport would grow exponentially, and nil may have let a guy like Pico stay in college.
I agree with everything but keeping Pico in college. I don’t think he ver enrolled anywhere or that he had that desire.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
somebody safe this thread. Schultz is the only one that could give Seveson a match. I would guess there's almost no chance Steveson wrestlers next year. This just in, he "Schultz" may be better than Parris and anyone else.

Reactions: redghost1974
Big fan of him coming back but at the same time I think wrestling needs to do something about guys only wrestling second semester. Or the ncaa I guess.

One thing he should of realized at wrestlemania is how much bigger he’s going to have to get physically. The guy he suplexed was named “ shorty gable” lol and real Gable looked smaller than him. He’s got plenty of time tho. He’s going to be a bowling ball. 5’10” 315? Lol can’t wait to see it.

I’d agree but didn’t it just take the United States best young real wrestler?? Is that not a negative impact?

Big fan of him coming back but at the same time I think wrestling needs to do something about guys only wrestling second semester. Or the ncaa I guess.

One thing he should of realized at wrestlemania is how much bigger he’s going to have to get physically. The guy he suplexed was named “ shorty gable” lol and real Gable looked smaller than him. He’s got plenty of time tho. He’s going to be a bowling ball. 5’10” 315? Lol can’t wait to see it.

Why do they need to do something about that?

And once he’s full time WWE he can train much differently as won’t have to be concerned with PEDs regulations. It will happen fairly quickly for him.

Thanks, grapplefan that helped by almost 83% Everyone knows michie dosen't like the gophers but they had 3 all americans and a national champ. I would guess Eggums job is safe? How many national champs did Brands have this year?

Thanks, grapplefan that helped by almost 83% Everyone knows michie dosen't like the gophers but they had 3 all americans and a national champ. I would guess Eggums job is safe? How many national champs did Brands have this year?
I'll just throw this out there for consideration... the Gopher AD really doesn't seem to care much about wrestling, so perhaps Egg's job is safe? According to chatter on the Gopher board, as long as Eggs can keep the Gophs out of the headlines regarding cheating and drug scandals, the main goal is to be average. Eggs got the job because Coyle didn't want to go thru the effort of a national search when they canned Robinson. Even though Eggum was an integral part of the program when all the violations occurred, it didn't seem to matter.

Listen as an Iowa fan, I hope Eggum has a lifetime contract. But Minnesota is nowhere close to achieving the results Robinson got in his time there.

Reactions: UndercoverHawk
I'll just throw this out there for consideration... the Gopher AD really doesn't seem to care much about wrestling, so perhaps Egg's job is safe? According to chatter on the Gopher board, as long as Eggs can keep the Gophs out of the headlines regarding cheating and drug scandals, the main goal is to be average. Eggs got the job because Coyle didn't want to go thru the effort of a national search when they canned Robinson. Even though Eggum was an integral part of the program when all the violations occurred, it didn't seem to matter.

Listen as an Iowa fan, I hope Eggum has a lifetime contract. But Minnesota is nowhere close to achieving the results Robinson got in his time there.
I actually miss them being competitive….there were some barn burner duals back in the day and it’s a fun rivalry…… same with ISU who I know you love 😂

blcoach80- who was in the national finals last year at #285. My comment is stupid?
First off, I know you were being sarcastic about the NIL money to keep him away, but I assure you Cass, Parris, and Kerk are not running away from Gable. As far as Schultz being better than those three. We will see. Schultz had an absolute cakewalk of a schedule last year right up until the NCAA semis. It is a lot easier to be healthier and on top of your game when you wrestle almost no one (maybe no one) inside the top ten all year long before NCAAs. Cass, Kerk, and Parris beating up on each other all season along with wrestling Gable didn't help their seed or health going into NCAAs last year. I seem to remember a healthy Cass beating Schultz the year before. If Schultz wrestled in the B10 he would not be an undefeated #2 seed at NCAAs. He is very good, but so are the others I mentioned, and last time I checked Gable has put the beat down on every 285 there is over the last 2 years.

This rumor may have some legs. It’s been reported that he has not been in Florida training at WWE’s performance center where they send all of their new recruits. Instead he’s been training at a wrestling school in Minneapolis owned by a former WWE wrestler. When I heard the news, this thread popped into my mind.

A couple guys thought backflips and high crutches would translate to WWE…. Both were wrong. One is retiring and the other is looking for a new job.
Maybe Steveson thought he had a promise of being a headliner right off the get go and later learned he was going to have to work in the "developmental", lower level wrestling league? Or....the steroid/drug testing the WWE does scared him?

Something obviously changed since last March.

Maybe Steveson thought he had a promise of being a headliner right off the get go and later learned he was going to have to work in the "developmental", lower level wrestling league? Or....the steroid/drug testing the WWE does scared him?

Something obviously changed since last March.
I'd say it's closer to the former. The WWE was pretty blocked off while Vince was in charge.

That said, Steveson is still gonna need to put in the time and earn his way to the top. There's a difference between "looking the part" and "acting the part"......

He's gotta be able to work with the guys he's in the ring with, and that isn't something everyone can just pick up after a few weeks or months of training.

He's also gotta be able to speak to the crowds. They can always give him a manager to speak for him, although the only one who's been allowed to do manager stuff lately is Paul Heyman. Of course that's also a Vince thing, so maybe that changes now that he's out....................maybe.

Reactions: MitchLL
ADVERTISEMENT