ADVERTISEMENT

WHOSE fault is the current debt ceiling standoff?

Who's to blame? Whomever and whenever it was decided to separate the authorization to spend money vs the authority to pay for spending.

Our country is dumb.

Reactions: ParkerHawk
I’m thinking Republicans.

Let’s say I’m a Republican and my wife is a Democrat. We both overspent our income using credit cards. Now it’s time to pay them. I tell my wife I’m not paying them until she makes cuts in her spending. She tells me we can work on our budget but the bills can’t wait to be paid or it’s going to ruin us financially.
I say let it…so what?
Close, but in fact you tell your wife to cut her spending but she can only cut spending on food for your kids. Let the little beggars starve.

Right. So, you make partial payments to survive. Theorical in U.S. budget debt speak, but it's all theoretical. You do not refuse to "make payments" while discussing your budget in your analogy. Damage to individual credit, ultimately leading to catastrophe. In the case of U.S., the faith and of the U.S. dollar is the foundation of the world economy.

To think a band of freaks in the House would take such a risk is an is the indication of how far the Republican party has degenerated.

It is a Constitutional requirement the debt incurred by the U.S. Government is paid.
This is the answer end thread. Anything more is just partisan bs

It's in the rear view? Better tell the afghan people that are back to taliban control.

Lazy.

Their government collapsed.'
Their military collapsed.
We left.

You say we should be fighting in Afghanistan to prevent Taliban control. when they don't have a government or military in residence. If so, wouldn't you think that would be pretty stupid?

Do you think it would make sense to fight for a country, like Afghanistan in which we invested trillions of dollars, to see them fold their tent, make off with the funds, abandon their people and fade away, leaving us to sort out the mess and salvage what we could out of the disaster.

Nah! You just want anything to bitch about.

If the Rs hadn't tried forever to negotiate and the Dems hadn't repeatedly refused, it would totally be the Rs fault.

But they didn't and they didn't, so we have to assign blame to the Ds. Their clear strategy all along was to do nothing and blame Rs for any default/shutdown.
WPOTY material right here, ladies and gentlemen and everyone outside of those boundaries.

we are taking in record amounts of revenue

Except in the year or two after a massive recession or when the GOP gets their massive tax cuts, the US ALWAYS takes in "a record amount of revenue", doofus. You can get a raise at work...a RECORD PAYCHECK...and still fall behind your expenditures. You do understand basic economics, right?

60% of those surveyed say raise the debt ceiling and cut spending

REALLY? REALLY?? Tell them it's their own ox that's gonna be gored when you tell them spending is cut and report back to us on those numbers.

Joes just going to have to bite the bullet and get a deal done...not much time left.

GOP moderates are going to have to act.
Or let the crazies destroy our economy.

We need 80s-era taxes on the wealthy and corporations (again).
We need SS reform, so the cap is higher to make it solvent.

And, yes, military spend is a major portion of our budget, and we need to revisit where cuts are possible (inclusive of the Space Force BS that has cost us billions in creating a worthless force that was fully functional under existing structure).

GOP moderates are going to have to act.
Or let the crazies destroy our economy.

We need 80s-era taxes on the wealthy and corporations (again).
We need SS reform, so the cap is higher to make it solvent.

And, yes, military spend is a major portion of our budget, and we need to revisit where cuts are possible (inclusive of the Space Force BS that has cost us billions in creating a worthless force that was fully functional under existing structure).
At this point so late in the game Joe will have to act...he'll have to make a couple concessions.

I think the work requirement thing is the easiest as it's mostly a red herring anyway...easy concession there.

At this point so late in the game Joe will have to act...he'll have to make a couple concessions.

What "concessions"?

MAGA is all over the map with generalized demands.
Leaving the MAIN drivers of our budget as "untouchable" is utter nonsense and fiscal irresponsibility.

So, spare me the BS that the GOP is the Party of Fiscal Conservatism here. They raised the ceiling 4x under Trump AND cut revenues in doing so.

Taxes MUST go up. Back to Reagan-era levels, which were fine for Conservatives back then.

Tax stock buybacks.
Tax cap gains for the affluent - keep them low for small investors and retirement.
Fix SS caps to make that solvent and it goes a long way to balancing things.

Reactions: Razorhawk2
Just our of curiosity, what "concessions" do you recommend the GOP make?
everything else :)

Hopefully the work requirement thing will be enough for McCarthy to hang his hat on...realistically? Probably not...

Anyway, some of this polling indicates that it isn't going to be as easy for Joe to pin this on the R's as originally thought...deal needs to get done so Joe will have to give McCarthy a couple carrots.

Obviously a default is a catastrophe and has the be avoided....

everything else :)

Hopefully the work requirement thing will be enough for McCarthy to hang his hat on...realistically? Probably not...

Anyway, some of this polling indicates that it isn't going to be as easy for Joe to pin this on the R's as originally thought...deal needs to get done so Joe will have to give McCarthy a couple carrots.

Obviously a default is a catastrophe and has the be avoided....
The House GQP is saying they won't accept anything less than the "deal" they already passed. Should Biden roll over for that? Will it be his "fault" if he doesn't?

Joe will need to hold a press conference and take questions and be articulate if he wants to blame the republicans and have it stick.

Or maybe he can talk about Cori Bush, representative from Missouri, and her $14 trillion dollar reparations new legislation.

The House GQP is saying they won't accept anything less than the "deal" they already passed. Should Biden roll over for that? Will it be his "fault" if he doesn't?
Joe has to give enough carrots to get most of the GOP and most of the D's on board (minus progressives)....McCarthy brings it to vote and it passes

That's how I see this working out. Progressives and the Gaetz crew won't vote for it but it'll get enough votes to pass...

Reactions: Rifler
Joe has to give enough carrots to get most of the GOP and most of the D's on board (minus progressives)....McCarthy brings it to vote and it passes

That's how I see this working out. Progressives and the Gaetz crew won't vote for it but it'll get enough votes to pass...
They want to undo everything Biden did in his first two years. Period. What does he give up when they don't give up a f'n thing? Are you calling on them to include tax hikes? No? Why not?

Reactions: Razorhawk2
That you aren't is the indication that you're eyeball deep in the Kool Aid. Your buddies are threatening a world wide recession. That's terrorism by any measure.

Biden and McCarthy have both said that default was not an option,.. I will take them at their word.

They want to undo everything Biden did in his first two years. Period. What does he give up when they don't give up a f'n thing? Are you calling on them to include tax hikes? No? Why not?
Tax hikes ain't happening...that's a fight for the next budget. If you want to deal in fantasyland and have a default...have at it.

The deal needs to get done and the debt ceiling raised...that's the objective. I think my scenario is much more realistic in getting that done.

Tax hikes ain't happening...that's a fight for the next budget. If you want to deal in fantasyland and have a default...have at it.

The deal needs to get done and the debt ceiling raised...that's the objective. I think my scenario is much more realistic in getting that done.
LOL...tax hikes are for the budget process but spending cuts have to be part of the debt ceiling standoff or it's Biden's fault. You couldn't declare your hypocrisy any more clearly than you just did. If the Dems were pulling this bullshit with a GOP president and trying to get the Trump tax cuts eliminated, you'd be here blaming THEM.

That you think McCarthy has ANY control is laughable. He's a puppet with MTG's hand up his ass moving his mouth.

McCarthy and Biden just need to negotiate a position that a majority of Congress will support,.. Very likely that hard right Republicans and hard left Democrats will be unhappy with the package, but as long as a majority in the middle are willing to swallow hard it's achievable...

LOL...tax hikes are for the budget process but spending cuts have to be part of the debt ceiling standoff or it's Biden's fault. You couldn't declare your hypocrisy any more clearly than you just did. If the Dems were pulling this bullshit with a GOP president and trying to get the Trump tax cuts eliminated, you'd be here blaming THEM.
Buddy..take a deep breath.

A deal needs to get done...default is not a option....the R's control the house.

It's not hypocrisy to deal with reality.

Your complaints of R hypocrisy are valid....but a deal needs to get done. It is what it is and time is short.

Buddy..take a deep breath.

A deal needs to get done...default is not a option....the R's control the house.
And the D's control the WH AND the Senate. Yet you say the D's have to fold.
It's not hypocrisy to deal with reality.
The Democrats controlled the House and suspended the debt ceiling twice under Trump with zero attempts to roll back his tax cuts. It's time for the f'n Republicans to do the same. There's your reality. Why aren't you faulting them? Why aren't ALL the wingnuts on here faulting them?
Your complaints of R hypocrisy are valid....but a deal needs to get done. It is what it is and time is short.
It's not R hypocrisy...that's hardly new. it's YOUR hypocrisy. You and yours are feeding the narrative that Biden has to back down when NO president in history has been asked to undo his legislation to get a debt ceiling deal. YOUR hypocrisy is the problem. You want a deal? Flood the R's offices with emails and phone calls telling them to do their f'n jobs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT