ADVERTISEMENT

Why Brexit?

Just read the chain. People love to justify being an asshole that breaks the law.

And to the OP, polling has shown that Brits are pretty pissed off that Brexit hasn't gone the way it was sold by the Conservative (shocking, I know) Party.

Brexit went into place on January 31, 2020. This was on the eve of a worldwide pandemic and the ensuing financial troubles that still plague the world.

Simple polls and their accompanying results, often driven by emotion, need to be taken in stride.
This isn’t just one poll tho. Many have become aware they got sold a bill of goods on what Brexit actually entailed, and what the ramifications would be.

Just read the chain. People love to justify being an asshole that breaks the law.
Define breaking the law. Also, are you familiar with prima facie speed limits vs absolute speed limits? Texas is a prima facie state, so when you have the amount of traffic we have and an inconsiderate or uneducated driver is doing 73 in a 75 at 5pm in the left lane, it matters.

Unless its a school zone or residential area, you won't see vehicles stopped for doing 5 over. It's pretty safe to say on an open TX HWY you can set your cruise to 80 in a 75 (sometimes higher).

Prima facie limits provide greater flexibility to drivers to determine an appropriate speed for conditions and place a greater burden of proof on the enforcement community that a violation has occurred. Approximately two-thirds of the States have absolute speed limits.

This isn’t just one poll tho. Many have become aware they got sold a bill of goods on what Brexit actually entailed, and what the ramifications would be.

It's numerous polls.

But trying to parse this out is impossible. Brexit went into effect right as the pandemic and hellish inflation set in.

It's numerous polls.

But trying to parse this out is impossible. Brexit went into effect right as the pandemic and hellish inflation set in.
It’s not just inflation - there was stuff during the campaign at the time about money Britain contributed to for various EU programs that people were told they’d get back…not realizing that money would then have to go into their own programs to compensate for. They didn’t realize the impact this would have in labor practices. And so on.

Long-term I think this was one of the worst non-war related decisions I can think of.

Reactions: RileyHawk
It’s not just inflation - there was stuff during the campaign at the time about money Britain contributed to for various EU programs that people were told they’d get back…not realizing that money would then have to go into their own programs to compensate for. They didn’t realize the impact this would have in labor practices. And so on.

Long-term I think this was one of the worst non-war related decisions I can think of.

Great Britain will be fine. There is no widespread appetite to undo Brexit.

Great Britain will be fine. There is no widespread appetite to undo Brexit.
There isn’t any other major EU country looking to follow their example though. GB really doesn’t have much of a choice but to continue down its path. The EU will likely not make it a bargain to reenter the fold. Their growth rate will continue to lag behind the others in the region thanks to small market size and self imposed regional trade barriers.

my wife's car's cruise control slows the car down when it approaches another vehicle. so if the car ahead of you is going 55, and you're going 65, it will drop you down to 55. It's annoying as ****.
This is actually one of my favorite options on a car. I'd never buy another car without adaptive cruise control on it. It's the only way to cruise.

Reactions: HawCory
Let's say the speed limit is 75MPH. There's a car in the left lane going 73MPH and a new Chevy Silverado has the cruise set to 78MPH with blue cruise on. If memory serves as soon as the sensors pick up that slower vehicle the truck will drastically start to slow causing a domino effect behind him. From what I remember in my limited experience with that feature it's a more aggressive slowing at a much further distance, not even giving the 73MPH vehicle a chance to see the approaching vehicle and move into the right lane.
In my vehicle, you can choose from 3 different following distances.

The default is as you describe and leaves several car lengths between you and the slower car in front of you. I always switch it to the shortest following distance and have grown to like the feature. I can still hit the gas and get by when an opportunity presents itself, but until then I'm able to leave cruise control on and maintain a consistent following distance without having to alternate between the gas and brakes.

I still pay attention and am ready to hit the brakes for sudden stops, as I don't have quite that much faith in the sensors just yet to rely on them in a hard brake situation.

Reactions: alaskanseminole

Wait, British taxes would be spent on Britons?!?

Wouldn’t they rather shovel it to poors in Eastern Europe?

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
This is actually one of my favorite options on a car. I'd never buy another car without adaptive cruise control on it. It's the only way to cruise.
I donno man. If Im cruising comfortably at 75 in the right lane with like 3 cars behind me, and i come up behind a semi going 65, and it suddenly drops me to 65 and I don't notice in time, then all three cars behind me suddenly merge and im stuck behind a semi until all those cars pass.

That's annoying AF.

I donno man. If Im cruising comfortably at 75 in the right lane with like 3 cars behind me, and i come up behind a semi going 65, and it suddenly drops me to 65 and I don't notice in time, then all three cars behind me suddenly merge and im stuck behind a semi until all those cars pass.

That's annoying AF.
But that's on you. You didn't notice in time because you weren't paying attention?? The only difference between cruise control and adaptive cruise control is that it slows down upon approaching a slower car once a proximity is reached as you should have in the first place. Typically that distance is adjustable. There is nothing preventing you from taking over with the accelerator and passing that slower car by changing to a clearer lane. Releasing the accelerator returns control back to the car and no adjustments to to the speed are required. I've been driving with it for years and it's an excellent convenience/safety feature on long drives.

But that's on you. You didn't notice in time because you weren't paying attention?? The only difference between cruise control and adaptive cruise control is that it slows down upon approaching a slower car once a proximity is reached as you should have in the first place. Typically that distance is adjustable. There is nothing preventing you from taking over with the accelerator and passing that slower car by changing to a clearer lane. Releasing the accelerator returns control back to the car and no adjustments to to the speed are required. I've been driving with it for years and it's an excellent convenience/safety feature on long drives.
Earlier in this thread I mentioned I drive this car about once per month, so I wasn't aware of it.

Thank you, though.

my wife's car's cruise control slows the car down when it approaches another vehicle. so if the car ahead of you is going 55, and you're going 65, it will drop you down to 55. It's annoying as ****.
Sooo.....you are pro-plow into the car in front of you if they are traveling at a slower speed. Interesting choice.

Not really. The wording you used in your post made it sound like that was actually an option so of course I ran with it.
to be clear.. it drops the speed for me before I typically want to drop the speed or merge. Usually I prefer to be about 2 car lengths behind someone before merging over, this feels like 4-5 car lengths.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT