ADVERTISEMENT

Why does KF have the punter hold instead of the backup QB?

Beattheohiostate

HB All-State
Aug 5, 2022
phoenix, AZ
Most other teams have the backup QB hold the ball for kicks, for obvious reasons. Hayden Fry did so as well. So anyone know why the clever KF persists in having the punter hold? (How many other teams have the punter hold?) I don't recall ever hearing an explanation for this, and inquiring minds want to know. All serious replies appreciated.

Reactions: hawkdave007
While historically a backup QB was the holder, it is now common across college and professional football for the punter to be the holder. The rationale is that it frees up the backup QB to participate in QB drills. It also lessens the risk of an injury to the holder, as there will be seasons when a team goes through multiple quarterbacks for injury reasons. Finally, the punter is familiar with receiving snaps from the long snapper, since he receives snaps from the long snapper on punt plays.

Thanks for that explanation. I appreciate your intelligent insights. I don't really pay much attention to it, obviously, so if the punter holding is now SOP, I missed it. But it does make sense, so thanks again.
Those are good insights. I think the kicker/punters and snappers spend all the time together in practice exclusively, so they have that extra time to work on timing etc.. You'll also notice the snapper is not a regular lineman. Its his job to snap for kicks exclusively, and we've had a couple who have had long career in the NFL just snapping for kicks.

Reactions: Beattheohiostate
Most other teams have the backup QB hold the ball for kicks, for obvious reasons. Hayden Fry did so as well. So anyone know why the clever KF persists in having the punter hold? (How many other teams have the punter hold?) I don't recall ever hearing an explanation for this, and inquiring minds want to know. All serious replies appreciated.
Probably should ask Lavar Woods.

Glasses Why Dont We Have Both GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

Click Link: YouTube Video of that time in 1999 that Tom Tupa played QB for the Jets (NFL won't let me post the embedded video)

I believe it was Bud Grant that stopped having a QB as holder many years ago when his QB got hit on a hold and broke his arm, and from then on he had a DB as holder. It may have been Paul Krause that used to hold for the Vikings after that. If someone as corrections to this, have at it.

I believe it was Bud Grant that stopped having a QB as holder many years ago when his QB got hit on a hold and broke his arm, and from then on he had a DB as holder. It may have been Paul Krause that used to hold for the Vikings after that. If someone as corrections to this, have at it.

Tony Romo. He's the answer ... always.

CowboysFumble.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT