ADVERTISEMENT

Why hasn’t trump been arrested yet?

An actual attorney can likely answer this, but would a grand jury would have to be impaneled and make a determination that charges should be filed prior to an arrest?

There is no way in hell the DOJ is going to arrest a former president unless it has an ironclad case in hand. And nor should there be a rush. It is too important and too politically fraught to rush.
How do you know there isn't already one impaneled?

No, I'd say several months. I do not think that Garland feels any need to look at the political calendar on this case. Trump is a private citizen.
Just for fun, and I know you are totally a straight shooter who only voted for Trump twice because you simply had no choice, do you think he's in a good spot legally?
Good question. I really don’t know. There is a list of political folks not prosecuted for mishandling classified documents. Just looking at the timeline of events and how long the DOJ waited to raid I would saw that the information there isn’t what everyone is hoping is there.

He will skate on this more than likely. It is a solid reminder to many GOP folks that this is what 4 years of another Trump presidency would look like. Vote Ron 2024

This. If Democrats lose the House and Senate this year, 2024 is already decided. There won't be any more Democratic presidents allowed. I heard a guy today say that if Trump gets back in the White House he will completely ignore all laws he doesn't agree with, which he did a little before, and dare the SC to do something. Nothing the Senate or House could do to him, if they wanted to, would work because he would simply just ignore it.

Authoritarian. It's still very close because an entire party is trying for it and their voters refuse to see it. The party of Reagan is dead. It's Trump's white Christian Nationalist party now.
This is just shake-your-head unbelievable.

This is just shake-your-head unbelievable.
For people with their heads up Republican asses. Otherwise you would see that it's happening in real time. Do you even LISTEN to Republicans? They're telling us this all the time. Look how they vote. 6 years ago I would have agreed with you. Then Trump came along. Your party leaders go to Moscow on the 4th of July. Your party invites the authoritarian leader of Hungary to be the lead speaker at CPAC, and gives him a standing ovation. Your party leaders defend Russia in their invasion of Ukraine. Russia state tv celebrates your news channel and your Republican leaders. How can you be this blind?

KFLCgDJ.jpg

I do think 60% will be willing to let him go, however you will have 30-40% hard core right wingers that will continue to defend.
But that's the thing I find annoying because the Ted Cruz' and others will just shift their lies and people will vote for them like they weren't complicit in the entity which is Trump.

Some excellent points in this article:

It’s easy to forget that what the Artist Formerly Known as President is now ensnared by is not simply the law, but also the facts. That’s why attempts to compare what he did to what Hillary Clinton did are so fatuous. What Clinton did not participate in was persistent and knowing obstruction. She cooperated with authorities and testified on multiple occasions. Facts still matter, which is why waving around the text of the Espionage Act and threatening riots on the streets as if this were an apples-to-apples comparison to Clinton might make for good television, but it isn’t law.

We’ve become so accustomed to the great greased watermelon that is the former president it’s impossible to imagine that, after escaping the clutches of the Mueller probe, two impeachment efforts, and a hailstorm of prosecutions in New York, he might finally be good and caught. The tricks he’s used for decades to evade accountability—the high-paid lawyers, the bullying and intimidation of opposing parties and witnesses, and the presidency itself—seem to be failing him this time. As has been the case with Trump and Trumpism, the pressing issue the rest of us must grapple with isn’t so much whether the slow rolling rule of law can finally catch up with him but whether, should he be indicted and tried, the rule of mob will somehow bring down the whole house of cards with it.

Maybe the best evidence for the possibility that something approximating sanity lies ahead is the relative silence from the very quarters that would ordinarily be howling the loudest. The thing these folks need to explain—before they can justify Trump’s conduct in holding onto secret documents, compromising sources and methods, and then lying about it—is what he was doing with these documents, some of which were tucked into a desk drawer with his passports (i.e., he knew what they were and he knew where they were) in the first place. Until and unless Trump supporters are confident that former presidents can declassify every national security document that crosses the transom forever using nothing but their eyebrows, and then use it for whatever purposes they seek, what we are going to hear a lot of in the coming weeks is less an actual coherent defense and much more a continuation of “but her emails.”

Reactions: Ree4
In reality, there shouldn't be any time-line for prosecution.

Take the time to do it right, meanwhile, letting Republicans decide if they want to go "down with the ship".

Plus, as a bonus, we can have members of the cult continue to send their hard earned $$$ to West Palm Beach for 45's defense.

Win/win

Same reason he’ll never be arrested for any tax related issues. People like Donald Trump have the best of the best attorneys, CPAs, etc. They know every loophole, they know how deals to keep their clients out of prison are made, they know how blackmail works, and they know what it takes to clog up and congest the legal process to delay and drag cases through the courts for years and years. In summary, people like Donald Trump don’t get arrested.

Good question. I really don’t know. There is a list of political folks not prosecuted for mishandling classified documents. Just looking at the timeline of events and how long the DOJ waited to raid I would saw that the information there isn’t what everyone is hoping is there.

He will skate on this more than likely. It is a solid reminder to many GOP folks that this is what 4 years of another Trump presidency would look like. Vote Ron 2024
Who is on that list of yours that weren’t investigated by the DoJ? Which ones didn’t comply with the DoJ?

There is a list of political folks not prosecuted for mishandling classified documents.
I am glad you brought this up, as this is actually the FUNNIEST part about the trouble Trump got himself in.

You are right that "there is a list of political folks not prosecuted for mishandling classified documents" and it is also true that one of those folks is Hillary Clinton.

What you may not know is WHY she wasn't prosecuted. Here is the answer:

Indeed, since the Trump revelations, right-wing media outlets like Fox News have compared Trump’s treatment unfavorably with Clinton’s, suggesting that she got off easy.

Then–FBI Director James Comey’s decision to break the bureau’s guidelines, on more than one occasion, in order to speak directly to the press about the Clinton investigation arguably doomed Clinton’s campaign; it’s hard to contend that she got off easy. But Comey’s explanation for why Clinton was not ultimately prosecuted helps illuminate the seriousness of what Trump did.

Comey famously declared that Clinton and others at the State Department had been “extremely careless in their handling of very sensitive, highly classified information.” He did not recommend prosecution, however, because as he reviewed the relevant precedents, he found that “all the cases prosecuted involved some combination of: clearly intentional and willful mishandling of classified information; or vast quantities of materials exposed in such a way as to support an inference of intentional misconduct; or indications of disloyalty to the United States; or efforts to obstruct justice. We do not see those things here.”

Now here is where things take the comical turn. That former discretion that Comey used to decide as the reason to not prosecute Hillary was taken away by none other than . . .

Can you guess who?

Donald Trump!!

Notably, Trump’s decision to retain classified information in the infamously insecure Mar-a-Lago resort, even after the National Archives asked for it back, meets a plain-English standard of “clearly intentional and willful mishandling,” exposing information in such a way as to support an inference of intentional misconduct, and efforts to obstruct the investigation.

However, the standard Comey described is no longer the law. That’s because as president, Donald Trump signed a law removing any ambiguity about intent when mishandling classified information. It is not simply that Trump’s behavior here was worse than Clinton’s; it’s that he rewrote the law to make the standard higher and then violated both the one described by Comey and the higher standard he set himself.

I mean, talk about effing yourself right in the old b-hole! What a maroon!

A couple more fun anecdotes:

Because the apparent violation of the law here is so straightforward, Trump sycophants are left with the argument that as president, Trump could declassify the documents in question like a rabbi saying the blessing over the wine, without ever having to issue a written order or go through any kind of formal process. Not only is this ridiculous as a legal matter, but it is an argument that may age as poorly as the idea that the FBI had no predicate for seeking a warrant to search the residence. It also more or less reiterates the bedrock principle of many Trump defenders, which is that the law is meant to be enforced only against certain categories of people, among whom Trump is not included.

• Love
Reactions: Ree4
He won’t be. Orange Columbo just broke this news that the classified materials were scattered on the floor of MAL by the FBI!!!! Not by him!!!!! This proves that….well….I’m not sure what it proves other than his cult will read this and slurp it up as they pick their tooth post-supper.

In reality, there shouldn't be any time-line for prosecution.

Take the time to do it right, meanwhile, letting Republicans decide if they want to go "down with the ship".

Plus, as a bonus, we can have members of the cult continue to send their hard earned $$$ to West Palm Beach for 45's defense.

Win/win
I can understand this viewpoint but people need to realize, Trump isn’t running in the next election but he is endorsing multiple people that are.

If they charge him before the election, it would effect the results one way or another. You can not really deny that. It would be best to charge him after the election.

Reactions: Ree4 and MitchLL
So he's admitted that he had them, and that they were being handled inappropriately. His "lawyer" has admitted that there were visitors in the area all of the time.

This whole thing is just a witch hunt, lol.

He won’t be. Orange Columbo just broke this news that the classified materials were scattered on the floor of MAL by the FBI!!!! Not by him!!!!! This proves that….well….I’m not sure what it proves other than his cult will read this and slurp it up as they pick their tooth post-supper.

Yep, DJT is totally innocent of throwing them all over the floor. Guess he's off the hook, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: blackbones

Pretty sure it was in the DOJ filing on 8/30 that said the FBI had laid out the documents on the carpet to photograph and had come from a carton.

Except that didn't happen. You do know that, don't you?
Do we know that for sure? I don’t think he did but the allegations are out there. And when the NY Post said a shop owner had Hunter’s laptop, all the firmer and current Intelligence folks signed a letter saying Russia disinformation. Well, it was hunters laptop and the FBI had it.

So what’s true? Do any of us “Really” know? I know you think you know.

• Haha
Reactions: unsubstantiated
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT