ADVERTISEMENT

Why Hasn't Ukraine Occupied Moscow Yet?

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
I've lost track of how much money is pouring into Ukraine. Some months ago US leaders were crowing about $52 billion for Ukraine (or was it $54 billion?), of which around $40 Billion was for weapons and such.

Since then we've seen a Sbillion here, $800K there. I don't know if that's part of the promised $52B or in addition to it.

And that's just the US part. Ukraine is getting weapons from the UK, Germany, Poland, the Baltics, and several other NATO nations.

We have also seen that the weapons Ukraine is getting are newer, more advanced weapons that appear superior to Russia's weapons.

And, finally, the Ukrainian fighters seem dedicated and effective.

By contrast, the Ruskies look out-dated, out-armed, and outclassed.

Wikipedia says Russia's entire military budget in 2021 was only $66 billion - and that was a high water mark. Moreover, that's for their whole, huge country, not just the war in Ukraine.

So . . . If Ukraine has better fighters, better weaponry, better support, and a comparable military budget, why aren't they in Moscow yet?

Are we holding them back?

Is the money going into the wrong pockets?

Are the reports we are hearing hyped up?

OK, OK, I don't really expect them to be in Moscow. But I do think the performance we keep applauding might not be as impressive as we think, given all the help they are (supposedly) getting.

Anyone else think things aren't quite adding up?

I've lost track of how much money is pouring into Ukraine. Some months ago US leaders were crowing about $52 billion for Ukraine (or was it $54 billion?), of which around $40 Billion was for weapons and such.

Since then we've seen a Sbillion here, $800K there. I don't know if that's part of the promised $52B or in addition to it.

And that's just the US part. Ukraine is getting weapons from the UK, Germany, Poland, the Baltics, and several other NATO nations.

We have also seen that the weapons Ukraine is getting are newer, more advanced weapons that appear superior to Russia's weapons.

Wikipedia says Russia's entire military budget in 2021 was only $66 billion - and that was a high water mark. Moreover, that's for their whole, huge country, not just the war in Ukraine.

So . . . If Ukraine has better fighters, better weaponry, better support, and a comparable military budget, why aren't they in Moscow yet?

OK, OK, I don't really expect them to be in Moscow. But I do think the performance we keep applauding might not be as impressive as we think, given all the help they are (supposedly) getting.

I'm sure they have had missions inside Russia, they are not advertising

• Love
Reactions: thewop and BC Hawk
south-park-wow.gif

Something I’ve wondered about….what percentage of Ukraines armed forces are dedicated to logistics and maintenance?

With dozens of weapons systems from different countries….their supply and maintenance needs for personnel have to be much heavier than a more homogenized force.

It’d be interesting to see how their force structure is divided up between combat and support elements.

Might explain to a degree why their offenses are pretty tactical in nature

Last edited:

Ask Napoleon. Or hitler.

No but I'm not an idiot.

Here's all you need to know the 2 hour, 86 missle barrage from Moscow after the bridge explosion cost em 250 million.

When your educated about cost of things you know why ops post is just drivel

They don’t even have McDonald’s anymore.
They have the McDonald's assets, but they have been renamed.

The same with Nissan Motors. Nissan had invested a billion or so into Russia and just sold those assets to (I believe) the Russian State for $1.

Russia is going to end up with lots of Western financed and Western built businesses for free.

They are also simply cancelling all ADR arrangements which means that those Westerners who owned Russian stocks going into this deal will see their investments simply wiped out, as in cancelled. (ADRs are American Depository Receipts ... which are in turn certificates that represent shares of foreign stocks.

Little by little, this stuff strengthens the Russian Economy and helps out the Ruble as well. it seems to me that the Biden administration may have screwed the pooch with their sanctions approach.

Last edited:
They have the assets, but they have been renamed.

The same with Nissan Motors. Nissan had invested a billion or so into Russia and just sold those assets to (I believe) the Russian State for $1.

Russia is going to end up with lots of Western financed and Western built businesses for free.

They are also simply cancelling all ADR arrangements which means that those Westerners who owned Russian stocks going into this deal will see their investments simply wiped out, as in cancelled. (ADRs are American Depository Receipts ... which are in turn certificates that represent shares of foreign stocks.

It seems to me that the Biden administration may have screwed the pooch with their sanctions approach.
Do you seriously think the Russians can make a go of it without western investment? They own all the McDonalds...and they're selling...what? What kinds of cars are they turning out at those former Nissan plants? Where do the parts come from?

The only thing holding that country together is oil money.

Do you seriously think the Russians can make a go of it without western investment? They own all the McDonalds...and they're selling...what? What kinds of cars are they turning out at those former Nissan plants? Where do the parts come from?

The only thing holding that country together is oil money.
Iran, China, Syria, and Russia ... together? (plus a Saudi Arabia lean) There is an economic block being formed and it might not necessarily be another Venezuela. It could turn out to be formidable at some point.

And the oil money is going to keep rolling in once this affair in Ukraine is over. Keep in mind that our government assured us that Russia would collapse in short order once the sanctions hit. My point is that the opposite has taken place, and the Ruble is strong.

Some degree of rethinking is in order. I am simply throwing these random thoughts out mostly to confirm the OP's observation that there are some untrue or unexplained dynamics relating to the state of affairs inside Russia.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Something I’ve wondered about….what percentage of Ukraines armed forces are dedicated to logistics and maintenance?

With dozens of weapons systems from different countries….their supply and maintenance needs for personnel have to be much heavier than a more homogenized force.

It’d be interesting to see how their force structure is divided up between combat and support elements.

Might explain to a degree why their offenses are pretty tactical in nature

If nothing else, their STRATEGY is to defend what’s theirs, which affords them much greater tactical flexibility. As another poster said, even with all the support they’re receiving they are still greatly outnumbered.

Iran, China, Syria, and Russia ... together? (plus a Saudi Arabia lean) There is an economic block being formed and it might not necessarily be another Venezuela. It could turn out to be formidable at some point.

And the oil money is going to keep rolling in once this affair in Ukraine is over. Keep in mind that our government assured us that Russia would collapse in short order once the sanctions hit. My point is that the opposite has taken place, and the Ruble is strong.

Some degree of rethinking is in order. I am simply throwing these random thoughts out mostly to confirm the OP's observation that there are some untrue or unexplained dynamics relating to the state of affairs inside Russia.

China is the only country you listed that has the capability to provide any of the natural resources Russia needs in any quantity however.

WWJD, are you insinuating that certain people get rich off of war and that money for war may be getting siphoned off for other purposes? What are you, a Russia supporter!? How dare you ask questions about whether an unlimited funding support of our longest-standing ally is financially justified!

Iran and Syria are laughable. China and India are Russia's only hopes...they have enormous populations but they only care about Russia's oil. You think India will build cars in Russia? Chinese fast food joints?

The ruble is strong for a single reason...Russia propped it up with 20% interest rates and they're pumping money into their banks...and they actually went too far. A strong ruble is not in Russia's interests...it eats away at their oil profits which finance nearly half of their budget. Russia is actively trying to weaken the ruble.

China will not supply arms to Russia...why would they? India sure isn't going to arm them so how does Russia replace the equipment they are losing by the trainload in Ukraine without access to overseas markets for parts?

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
No but I'm not an idiot.

Here's all you need to know the 2 hour, 86 missle barrage from Moscow after the bridge explosion cost em 250 million.

When your educated about cost of things you know why ops post is just drivel
Then you should be able to explain that, right?

I won't hold my breath.

Meanwhile, the EU just announced it would sell Ukraine another $billion in weapons. Pretty sure they said sell, not give. I wonder where the money is coming from?

China will not supply arms to Russia...why would they?
I do wonder if China might be paying for these Iranian drones.

China might not want to directly supply weapons to Russia, for the obvious reasons, but they are probably very happy to see a distracted West going down this expensive rabbit hole. Especially while China keeps plodding along with their Belt and Road initiative, and developing bases in the South China Seas.

Reactions: tarheelbybirth
I’d imagine most of that money is filtered directly or indirectly to US based weapon manufacturers, independent war contractors, etc.

The spigot went dry after the Afghanistan withdraw for these guys, it’s running again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT