ADVERTISEMENT

Why no early timeout?

Wango Z Tango

Team MVP
Dec 31, 2004
Chicago
I'm sure every coach is different but it used to be if another team made a run and you got down by let's say 6 points you called timeout to regroup, make adjustments, and hopefully stop the run. Now or at least with Coach McCaffery it is a minimum of a 10 point lead b/4 he calls timeout. Is Coach waiting for a TV timeout? I just feel it puts us in a position where we have to play the entire game from behind.

I realize Till and Ashe are basically practice players and this team is very watered down now with injuries. I feel for the players who are fortunate enough to avoid injury and continue to play hard despite the odds more and more stacked against them.

Reactions: RalphyWrichshaw
I'm not going to go back and rewatch the game, but I don't think we were playing all that badly to start. A team that shoots 32% from three got hot to start, I don't think they were wide open threes (with the exception of the one where CJ gambled for a steal - even that was not an easy shot, as it was a turnaround three near the sideline). He went 4/4 to start for 12 quick points.

That was one of Fran's best coached game since he became coach of the Hawks. Look at the talent on the team we had on the court and look at the talent IU had on the court. It's not even close. We were in the game until the end and make a basket or 2 and we had a real chance to steal one. Ash and Till played meaningful minutes and we were in it, truly unbelievable.

Green's shots in the first half were pretty much unstoppable. Someone in another thread suggested knocking him on his a$$ after the second, and maybe that wouldn't have been a bad idea, if Iowa had a player who could do it without getting a flagrant foul.

I'm sure every coach is different but it used to be if another team made a run and you got down by let's say 6 points you called timeout to regroup, make adjustments, and hopefully stop the run. Now or at least with Coach McCaffery it is a minimum of a 10 point lead b/4 he calls timeout. Is Coach waiting for a TV timeout? I just feel it puts us in a position where we have to play the entire game from behind.

It wasn't a 10 point lead when he called the first TO last night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT