ADVERTISEMENT

Why sit Keegan?

I remember waiting for the first substitution Iowa made in the game and I think it was initially Patrick McCaffery. Then Nunge and Toussiant joined him as the game went on until about 8 mins deep and I was perplexed as to why Murray wasn't going in.

Smh, this seemed to be one of the worst coached and managed games Fran and his staff has had.

He was very effective at the start of the second half. Had some very nice drives to the basket. Picked up three quick fouls then sat the rest of the second half. Why? I feel like the team needed his energy.
He sat too long but got a fourth foul right away when he came back in. He was clearly a spark when he was in early in the second half. Btw, his second and third fouls were absolute horseshit calls.

He sat too long but got a fourth foul right away when he came back in. He was clearly a spark when he was in early in the second half. Btw, his second and third fouls were absolute horseshit calls.
Nah, his 3rd foul was correct, and was more on our poor on-ball AND help defense.

He had to come over out of position late to contest the drive and picked up the foul.

Of course, he could be like Connor and just feign a couple steps in the general direction of the offensive player to act like he meant to show help defense....ultimately to just be left standing there while someone from the other team gets a wide open dunk.

But yes, Keegan's 2nd foul, I believe, was horsesh**.

All I could think of was Fran was trying to send a message. Keegan has played some great D and is our best shot blocker IMO, but I wonder if Fran was telling him you can't contest everything, especially against taller/bigger guys? Were they bad calls? Yeah, maybe a couple of them.

Sometimes you or your teammate gets beat, best to just let it go and live to fight another day (tough to do I'm sure). Garza knows this, that's why he rarely gets in foul trouble IMO.

I still wish he would have just left him in, he was a rare spark on the offensive end and we needed that worse than anything else in the 2nd half.

Nah, his 3rd foul was correct, and was more on our poor on-ball AND help defense.

He had to come over out of position late to contest the drive and picked up the foul.

Of course, he could be like Connor and just feign a couple steps in the general direction of the offensive player to act like he meant to show help defense....ultimately to just be left standing there while someone from the other team gets a wide open dunk.

But yes, Keegan's 2nd foul, I believe, was horsesh**.
I was gonna put a disclaimer that the third was more of a foul but was still ticky-tack, IMO. Maybe I was just still mad at how weak the 2nd foul was. Of all the contact allowed in the first half, that was called pretty dang quick in the second.

A typical Big Ten game -- wildly inconsistent by the officials. Assault one time down the court with no call and next time light breathing is called. Made no difference if it was Iowa or Indiana. Got to be frustrating for players at times as they don't know what is going to be allowed. Poor FT shooting by IU until the end, If they would have shot FT's the final two minutes like they did throughout the game, Iowa might have pulled it out. I thought the team did an excellent job with the quick fouls taking virtually no time off the clock and were able to score quickly when JT took it to the rack.

Looked like he gave up as many points as he scored. Not that that isn’t SOP for Iowa but for a normal coach that’s probably why he sat.

Another bad Fran rotations game. Connor, Patrick and JBo played too many minutes in this game. Fran has his rotation and when it doesn't work he generally doesn't have good answers to solve that problem.

Keegan did some good things on offense last night by driving to the hoop. He was a little too aggressive on the defensive side though and was out of position numerous times which gave Indiana easy baskets and/or lead to a foul on Keegan.

Keegan did some good things on offense last night by driving to the hoop. He was a little too aggressive on the defensive side though and was out of position numerous times which gave Indiana easy baskets and/or lead to a foul on Keegan.

easy baskets? Like 2 or more? NO, They made a mistake and didn't guard anyone on Keegans 1st defensive sequence. After that, he defended well. He blocked a shot clean and got a foul and then a ticky tac and then he sat. HIs two drives and finishes were beautiful. Keegan is the most fluid defender on the team.

Unfortunately, all the backups look to have highly suspect 3pt shots. Pmac, Keegan, JoeT, Nunge....you play 2-3 of those guys and you begin to lose the inside/outside game with garza because they can't make 3pt shots at high level.

This is Coach Murray and not Dad Murray talking. Their zone rotations are dictated by where the ball is entered and what personnel is on the floor from the other team. If you could see Fran, he clearly was upset on Keegan's 3rd foul because it wasn't Keegan's rotation, as was his 4th. Keegan is the consummate "team" guy and if he can help cover his teammates, he is going to do it. He does have to be smarter and know when to "punt" to stay on the floor. He was aggressive on the offensive end of the floor and that was good. But as a coach, I would have told him that we need him on the floor and sometimes you have give one up. He did his job as a defender and teammate.

I remember waiting for the first substitution Iowa made in the game and I think it was initially Patrick McCaffery. Then Nunge and Toussiant joined him as the game went on until about 8 mins deep and I was perplexed as to why Murray wasn't going in.

Smh, this seemed to be one of the worst coached and managed games Fran and his staff has had.
Knew this post would show up real quick despite the fact the highest scoring set of players in the conference, couldn't

I've noticed this a lot when Iowa is bad on defense. Not just Connor but it seems like at times guys will be late/slow on rotations and willing to give up an easy basket to avoid potential contact/fouls. Especially the starters. Maybe its because of the 2 foul you're out rule in the first half.

Overall, I was hoping when the bench got minutes last night the defense would get better like it often does. Keegan's ability to block shots, Patrick, Keegan, and Joe's ability to have active hands in the passing lanes and create havoc. But with fouls, poor shooting, weird rotations, things just never got going.

I don't see the negative combination of factors happening too often again. They did lead for about 3/4s of the game. Too bad they cant play Nebraska to heal themselves a bit this weekend.

Exactly. I thought Keegan was injured or something. No clue why Fran took that long to get him into the game.

This is Coach Murray and not Dad Murray talking. Their zone rotations are dictated by where the ball is entered and what personnel is on the floor from the other team. If you could see Fran, he clearly was upset on Keegan's 3rd foul because it wasn't Keegan's rotation, as was his 4th. Keegan is the consummate "team" guy and if he can help cover his teammates, he is going to do it. He does have to be smarter and know when to "punt" to stay on the floor. He was aggressive on the offensive end of the floor and that was good. But as a coach, I would have told him that we need him on the floor and sometimes you have give one up. He did his job as a defender and teammate.
Well you confirmed what I speculated about above, and I'm not a BB Coach of any kind! Ha! So thanks for that. It was the only thing I could come up with why Fran took him out that made any sense.

The only thing you didn't do is brag on your Son like I did saying he is our best shot blocker! ;) (and dunker too!)

I love the energy on both ends of the floor, he really was trying to make a difference and IMO he was when we were struggling offensively. I would have just gave him a short speech and sent him back out and if he fouls out he fouls out. But Fran didn't call me so............

Reactions: NoSwampDonkeys
I agree. He should’ve been on the floor a lot more. If he fouls out, he fouls out.

I hate Fran’s foul rules for players. When’s the last time we’ve had a player foul out? I know some will say that it’s been a long time for a foul out because of Fran’s rule.

I agree. He should’ve been on the floor a lot more. If he fouls out, he fouls out.

I hate Fran’s foul rules for players. When’s the last time we’ve had a player foul out? I know some will say that it’s been a long time for a foul out because of Fran’s rule.
I just thought Keegan was the lone bright spot for a stretch there on the offensive end, and maybe provide some momentum to get the other guys going.

I've seen Indiana play a fair amount and nothing about them impressed me. And even in the first half when we had a lead I had the ol' "let bad teams hang around" theme floating in my head. Well it came to fruition in this one. Maybe they're better than I gave them credit for, but I'm skeptical that is true.

There have been a number of times this season that Keegan has had to rotate when it wasn't his. Most times he has made a nice play and defended it well, or gotten a block. Last night, he did play a little overly aggressive, trying to provide a much needed spark. It happens...he is still young and wanting to contribute at every opportunity, instead of as you said, knowing when to let it go to preserve a foul call to stay on the floor.

My frustrations (and maybe you can speak to this?) lie in that it seems like there is poor or very late rotation on the floor that someone has to step out of their spot in the zone to cover for the missed assignment. Sometimes it also looks like the guards are thinking about double teaming, then for some reason back off, which seems a lot of times those lead to scores. Guys seem tentative to drop off their primary to rotate and help stop the ball, or over rotate and are out of position because they sagged too far off when the ball is on the other side of the floor. The amount of times we give up the baseline also kills me (thankfully Keegan is able to recover and help dramatically with this when he's on the floor), but that is another subject for another day lol.

Is some of this by design to alleviate fouls, or is it missed assignments/overplay? I just would like to know if I should quit yelling at my TV because of lack of/over helping on D in the zone.

*Edit for grammatical travesty

Thank you for the reply Kenyon! You have a better idea as to what should have happened on the defensive rotations last night than I do. I really enjoyed watching you play for the Hawkeyes and look forward to watching both of your sons play for hopefully the next four years. Keegan has been a major asset for the Hawkeyes this year and will be going forward.

I do agree with you that we do need him on the floor and sometimes it is better to give up the bucket than the foul. He is a freshman and is going to experience some ups and downs. This freshman class is looking a lot better than they were originally given credit for being and gives me hope that the future is bright for this team.

Reactions: PHawkKenyon
I've noticed this a lot when Iowa is bad on defense. Not just Connor but it seems like at times guys will be late/slow on rotations and willing to give up an easy basket to avoid potential contact/fouls. Especially the starters. Maybe its because of the 2 foul you're out rule in the first half.

Overall, I was hoping when the bench got minutes last night the defense would get better like it often does. Keegan's ability to block shots, Patrick, Keegan, and Joe's ability to have active hands in the passing lanes and create havoc. But with fouls, poor shooting, weird rotations, things just never got going.

I don't see the negative combination of factors happening too often again. They did lead for about 3/4s of the game. Too bad they cant play Nebraska to heal themselves a bit this weekend.
Oh I know. I just used Connor as an example because I watched him do it on at least 2-3 possessions in the 2nd half when Indiana was pulling away.

At some point, when I decide to stop being a lazy bum, I'm going to go back through every game Iowa has played for the last 5 seasons and find out how many actual charges we have taken.

My initial suspicion is that I'm not going to find many........................

We are going to have to shoot Garza open. One guy is not enough. On the defensive end we have too many guys who get beat off the bounce. Defending the dribble drive has been a constant for years. Athletic guys give us fits.

All I could think of was Fran was trying to send a message. Keegan has played some great D and is our best shot blocker IMO, but I wonder if Fran was telling him you can't contest everything, especially against taller/bigger guys? Were they bad calls? Yeah, maybe a couple of them.

Sometimes you or your teammate gets beat, best to just let it go and live to fight another day (tough to do I'm sure). Garza knows this, that's why he rarely gets in foul trouble IMO.

I still wish he would have just left him in, he was a rare spark on the offensive end and we needed that worse than anything else in the 2nd half.
Yeah. Sometimes spoken English works for conveying feedback, but maybe Fran had already tried the verbal approach a couple of times and felt the need for a behavioral approach with a time out. Maybe he felt it was necessary to forfeit Keegan's last foul for the rest of the game to make the point. WhTFKs? But be careful cuz it's a Skinnerbox out there.

Oh I know. I just used Connor as an example because I watched him do it on at least 2-3 possessions in the 2nd half when Indiana was pulling away.

At some point, when I decide to stop being a lazy bum, I'm going to go back through every game Iowa has played for the last 5 seasons and find out how many actual charges we have taken.

My initial suspicion is that I'm not going to find many........................

Iowa defenders rarely flop vs the frequency they get flopped on. Wisconsin B-ball defense is based on the flop. I think there have been individuals defenders at Iowa that were okay at it...Gessell and Pemsl for instance got a few calls.

I think the rule as it is setup encourages flopping and risks unnecessary injury from player intentionally falling down and risking tripping up other players. It is loss of possession + foul against offense vs only foul on defense for something that is hard to judge and essentially a coin toss. The offense should keep the ball on a a charge and most of the flopping would go away. As a fan, it is not exciting to see a defender jump in front of another guy in hopes of causing a collision or contact so they can then launch themselves backwards in exaggerated fashion.

Agree, I think KM is all in with the program but he's already experienced enough McC nepotism that I wouldn't be surprised if a player in his position transferred. Pat coming in before him is just a joke. I think connor starting ahead of him is a joke too but at least he's experienced and has some good assist totals sometimes

I think you might be onto something in your first paragraph about poor rotations being rewarded by increased playing time, contingent on avoiding a second or third foul. Neither the players nor coaches need even be aware of what's influencing the defensive intensity. Would there be some analytic for this? Maybe the relationship across game time between points per minute and fouls per minute for teams who employ the 2-foul or 3-foul rule versus those who don't. Or even more basic, the winning percentage for teams who use the 2-foul or 3-foul rule, or neither.

I would agree considering what IU was doing.

Yes, worst coaching by Fran + Bohannon’s worst game of his career = Loss

I don’t know if he was as out of position as his slow AF teammates were getting beat leaving him with 2 players to defend.

Agree, I think KM is all in with the program but he's already experienced enough McC nepotism that I wouldn't be surprised if a player in his position transferred. Pat coming in before him is just a joke. I think connor starting ahead of him is a joke too but at least he's experienced and has some good assist totals sometimes

Did ya hear, guys? KM is going to transfer!!! Dude, you’re a Grade A moran

Connor and his stupid 5.91 assist to turnover ratio should sit too! He’s only on pace to break the NCAA record. No big deal though.

this guy gets it. if you were in charge of rotations and minutes Iowa might be undefeated in league play. Instead we get nepotism Fran.

Reactions: skydog0784
There have been a number of times this season that Keegan has had to rotate when it wasn't his. Most times he has made a nice play and defended it well, or gotten a block. Last night, he did play a little overly aggressive, trying to provide a much needed spark. It happens...he is still young and wanting to contribute at every opportunity, instead of as you said, knowing when to let it go to preserve a foul call to stay on the floor.

My frustrations (and maybe you can speak to this?) lie in that it seems like there is poor or very late rotation on the floor that someone has to step out of their spot in the zone to cover for the missed assignment. Sometimes it also looks like the guards are thinking about double teaming, then for some reason back off, which seems a lot of times those lead to scores. Guys seem tentative to drop off their primary to rotate and help stop the ball, or over rotate and are out of position because they sagged too far off when the ball is on the other side of the floor. The amount of times we give up the baseline also kills me (thankfully Keegan is able to recover and help dramatically with this when he's on the floor), but that is another subject for another day lol.

Is some of this by design to alleviate fouls, or is it missed assignments/overplay? I just would like to know if I should quit yelling at my TV because of lack of/over helping on D in the zone.

*Edit for grammatical travesty

With the exception of the Joes and Keegan, we're just not very quick.

Hard to play good D with slow, heavy feet and low hands.

Reactions: NoSwampDonkeys
this guy gets it. if you were in charge of rotations and minutes Iowa might be undefeated in league play. Instead we get nepotism Fran.

First of all, I want to say that I am a fan of every player on the Iowa Hawkeyes and wish all of them success. That being said, Keegan played 14 minutes last night, while Patrick played 13. Keegan probably would have played more if he would not have picked up some quick fouls. As was mentioned previously, Keegan and Patrick do not play the same position most of the time and complement each other well when on the floor together.

I do think that Fran has done a good job finding the right combination of players most of this year. Fran was not able to find a combination that worked last night, but that does not mean it was due to nepotism. I have no idea if Keegan is happy with his playing time this year, but there is only one person on this board who knows the answer to that question. Keegan does look like he has a very bright future with Iowa and I look forward to watching him develop along with the rest of his teammates.

Reactions: Hawksfinal4
First of all, I want to say that I am a fan of every player on the Iowa Hawkeyes and wish all of them success. That being said, Keegan played 14 minutes last night, while Patrick played 13. Keegan probably would have played more if he would not have picked up some quick fouls. As was mentioned previously, Keegan and Patrick do not play the same position most of the time and complement each other well when on the floor together.

I do think that Fran has done a good job finding the right combination of players most of this year. Fran was not able to find a combination that worked last night, but that does not mean it was due to nepotism. I have no idea if Keegan is happy with his playing time this year, but there is only one person on this board who knows the answer to that question. Keegan does look like he has a very bright future with Iowa and I look forward to watching him develop along with the rest of his teammates.

How many passes did Patrick make?

Next question, how many points did he score?

I’m sure Patrick is a great kid and is just doing what he is told, but even he has to know he and others are taking PT from a better player that could help this team win now.

Oh well, we’ll just continue to watch Fran blow another shot at Iowa’s first conference title in 40 years.

• Haha
Reactions: iahawks10
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT