ADVERTISEMENT

Wildcat

frege5

Rookie
Aug 16, 2003
My memory is a bit hazy on the years, but wasn’t it 2020 when we used the Wildcat set a lot? At the beginning of the year, i thought we might see it even more this year due to depth at RB and questions at QB, but obviously — since I can’t recall a wildcat set all year — my analysis was crap.

So, question for you X and O experts: why no wildcat this year? Is it because we lack a specific type of talent at RB/WR that we had in 2020? Or has it been mothballed because it’s too complicated for a young OL? Or something else?

My memory is a bit hazy on the years, but wasn’t it 2020 when we used the Wildcat set a lot? At the beginning of the year, i thought we might see it even more this year due to depth at RB and questions at QB, but obviously — since I can’t recall a wildcat set all year — my analysis was crap.

So, question for you X and O experts: why no wildcat this year? Is it because we lack a specific type of talent at RB/WR that we had in 2020? Or has it been mothballed because it’s too complicated for a young OL? Or something else?
Yeah that was the year Brian discovered the wildcat like it was a new toy. Only about 10 years after everyone else started using it. That might be too complicated for this offense now, but other than DeJean who would run it?

Arland Bruce might be the guy to do that, but he's been banged up a lot. It doesn't affect the blocking schemes at all.
Before Bruce got hurt against Purdue they were actually using him in more and unusual ways. They handed him the ball a couple of times as he was lined up as the RB when Petras was in the shotgun. There is a lot you can do with that, whether direct snap to Bruce who then runs or throws, or Petras giving him the ball and then he options with another WR.

Down near the goal line against Purdue, with Iowa leading 14-0 they had a very interesting play that was botched by Johnson it appears. 2nd and goal at the 3, Johnson to the left of Petras in the gun. They bring Bruce in motion at the snap and it looked like the play was supposed to be Petras fakes to Johnson and gives it to Bruce on the jet at that mesh. But Johnson takes the ball, it's almost fumbled and the play loses 2 yards. The blocking on the perimeter for Bruce on the jet is there, looks like it's a pretty certain TD.

With Bruce back healthy, I definitely want to see that play return, just run the right way. By the way, Iowa has gone to using a lot more shotgun, 1 RB in goal to go situations lately, and it's been much more successful. Spreads the field out a bit and lets the OL block 5 on 6 or 5 on 5. That give to Johnson down near the goal line has been for positive yards most of the time. That has been much better for Iowa in GtG situations that lining up under center, with a FB and 2 or 3 TE, and trying to punch it in that way.

By the way, Iowa has gone to using a lot more shotgun, 1 RB in goal to go situations lately, and it's been much more successful. Spreads the field out a bit and lets the OL block 5 on 6 or 5 on 5. That give to Johnson down near the goal line has been for positive yards most of the time. That has been much better for Iowa in GtG situations that lining up under center, with a FB and 2 or 3 TE, and trying to punch it in that way.
I just coach 9th grade football (defense), and I agree that getting the FB out of the backfield is generally good (for the offense) on GTG situations. Having the extra TE or SL receiver gives me one more immediate receiving threat and one more gap to defend on the LOS. Also, having the QB out from under C means that they can leave a player (my best player?) unblocked and put him in conflict. Unless your OL is good enough to flat out move my DL off the ball (Iowa's is not), nothing makes me happier as a DC than seeing that FB/H-back between the tackles on 1st and goal from the 5.

Yeah that was the year Brian discovered the wildcat like it was a new toy. Only about 10 years after everyone else started using it. That might be too complicated for this offense now, but other than DeJean who would run it?
Kaleb Johnson, Xavier, Arland, Hall, or Keagan Johnson if he ever gets back on the field. There are a bunch of athletes you could put in that situation and get your best four or five star guy on the field. Iowa probably has more guys that can be the wildcat qb as a lot of them were the qb’s on their high school team or spent time there at some point in their career. Anyone on the team has to be faster and can get more yards than the qb we have under center in a run situation and that’s no knock SP when trying to run the wildcat since he isn’t a very mobile qb.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they have been doing some work the last several weeks with Cooper running the wildcat. Win on Friday....be in a close game (within 10) midway through the 3rd quarter in the Championship game....and you may see that wrinkle. I think Cooper would both run and throw out of the wildcat better than Bruce.

Reactions: BaldHawk4Life
I wouldn't be surprised at all if they have been doing some work the last several weeks with Cooper running the wildcat. Win on Friday....be in a close game (within 10) midway through the 3rd quarter in the Championship game....and you may see that wrinkle. I think Cooper would both run and throw out of the wildcat better than Bruce.
This. The fact that Coop would give you a true dual threat out of the wildcat makes him a natural in that role. I would not mind seeing X in that role with the ball in his hands either.

They ran it a bunch with Goodson but he almost exclusively kept the ball. If they are going to use it, use it with someone that has experience with the mesh concepts AND is able to throw out of it. Makes it much harder to defend.

They ran it a bunch with Goodson but he almost exclusively kept the ball. If they are going to use it, use it with someone that has experience with the mesh concepts AND is able to throw out of it. Makes it much harder to defend.
So... You're saying use the guy who used to play quarterback.

Reactions: hexumhawk
If they don’t install Cooper running the wildcat this spring that’s coaching malpractice.
I would be surprised if we see Cooper on offense...but KF/BF do have their reputations on the line. They really need to get OT Proctor cause I don't think we have a RT on the team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT