ADVERTISEMENT

Will Caitlin & the Iowa Women Sell Out all of the Away B1G arenas? Highest Ticket Prices are betw $1,544 (Maryland), $1,712 (IU) & $2,761 (N'western)

Agreed, she is changing the game...and also you don't need to tell us your wife doesn't have a penis (NPwife) it is none of our business ;)
Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

The circus is going to be very challenging for Iowa/Bluder as the year goes on. I worry there will be a couple of shocking bumps on the road this year. BIG WBB fans, officials, crowds have never seen anything like what is happening this year. Caitlin also doesn’t have a roster of McDonald’s All Americans to help her. Will be interesting to watch.

The build up for Iowa/Clark reminds me of the build up for the Indiana 1975-76 men’s team. I was there when they got to the Field House the day before their game for their walk through, and it was a bit of a zoo just for their practice. Sorta like a big crowd for the sound check.

The circus is going to be very challenging for Iowa/Bluder as the year goes on. I worry there will be a couple of shocking bumps on the road this year. BIG WBB fans, officials, crowds have never seen anything like what is happening this year. Caitlin also doesn’t have a roster of McDonald’s All Americans to help her. Will be interesting to watch.

The build up for Iowa/Clark reminds me of the build up for the Indiana 1975-76 men’s team. I was there when they got to the Field House the day before their game for their walk through, and it was a bit of a zoo just for their practice. Sorta like a big crowd for the sound check.
They have started to play much better in their last few games. Granted, the competition isn't what they are playing but I have a lot more confidence in them than I did 4 weeks ago. All the other players need to do is play well enough and make enough layups to keep the defense honest so Caitlyn can get some space to make plays. Plus, Martin is definitely playing better. Losing to Kansas State may have been the best thing to happen to the team.

I think it was equally as big when Magic and MSU came to town.

Reactions: VodkaSam
Hopefully Iowa will be playing in sold out arenas starting December all the way to the post season. If that happens, it's got to be an NCAA record.

Just read where Pollard is giving away 2,000 student tix for Wednesday's women's game vs Iowa?

WTF

Giving away tix when it would easily be a sellout. Likely price gouging others to cover the freebies. 7

That dude is a few cards short of a full deck.

Last edited:
I doubt it. Once she is done so will the crowds.

Hopefully she inspired a bunch of little girls to practice to be the next Clark.
Well, if Iowa is still fielding competitive teams that finish in the top 5 of the league every year people will still go watch them play. Maybe not so much on the road and there won't be that "buzz" that exists in the arena now, but fans will still show up to home games at least. But if they go back to being mediocre then there won't be any sellouts anymore, that's for sure.

It's to be determined how much she will change the WNBA. That league needs to figure out a way to get her in a large market. Preferably Chicago, but New York or LA would work too.

Well, if Iowa is still fielding competitive teams that finish in the top 5 of the league every year people will still go watch them play. Maybe not so much on the road and there won't be that "buzz" that exists in the arena now, but fans will still show up to home games at least. But if they go back to being mediocre then there won't be any sellouts anymore, that's for sure.

It's to be determined how much she will change the WNBA. That league needs to figure out a way to get her in a large market. Preferably Chicago, but New York or LA would work too.
I think Minneapolis would be the ideal place for Clark. It’s close and would generate ticket sales. I have my doubts WNBA will ever be national media market drive. IMO its ceiling is a regional sport.

I think Minneapolis would be the ideal place for Clark. It’s close and would generate ticket sales. I have my doubts WNBA will ever be national media market drive. IMO its ceiling is a regional sport.
It would be good for fans and that can generate media, but I think fans will watch her where ever she is, especially if she continues to do amazing things on the court. But to grow the league, it will be easier in a large market because by and large, the media are pretty lazy and don't like to travel very far to cover stories.

So, I started a spreadsheet for Iowa WBB 2023-24 attendance. I took what I could find in this thread and the interwebs. Here is a viewable link to the spreadsheet with the full season and columns for high points. rebounds, and assists.
Iowa WBB 2023-24 Attendance Spreadsheet

DISCLAIMER: I make misteaks on most things; feel free to make suggestions.

Last edited:
Reactions: conn53victor
So, I started a spreadsheet for Iowa WBB 2023-24 attendance. I took what I could find in this thread and the interwebs. Here is a viewable link to the spreadsheet with the full season and columns for high points. rebounds, and assists.
Iowa WBB 2023-24 Attendance Spreadsheet

DISCLAIMER: I make misteaks on most things; feel free to make suggestions.
Can't the guys in charge add two seats to Carver? I'm about to curse.

I am confident that you misread it because it clearly shows 14,998 for Bowling Green and not some other number, like, perhaps 6,790.

And thanks, @wneff.
I think wneff was thinking it was not a full attendance. But tickets were said to be sold out. However I'm still waiting for them to release the block of seats reserved for students to the public. That's no different from Jaime Pollard holding 2000 seats to give away to ISU students.

I think wneff was thinking it was not a full attendance. But tickets were said to be sold out. However I'm still waiting for them to release the block of seats reserved for students to the public. That's no different from Jaime Pollard holding 2000 seats to give away to ISU students.
Naw. I just copy & pasted a wrong number in the original version. Fortunately, @wneff is a good copy editor.

Reactions: Franisdaman
yep. Kohl Center capacity is 17,230 and they are sold out.
Seems odd that the article says "Over 13,000 tickets have been sold for the 1:30 p.m. Sunday conference opener between the Badgers and Hawkeyes. It will mark the 10th time Wisconsin has played in front of a crowd over 13,000 in its history, last doing so against Iowa on March 2, 2008 for a crowd of 13,320 people."

Seems odd that the article says "Over 13,000 tickets have been sold for the 1:30 p.m. Sunday conference opener between the Badgers and Hawkeyes. It will mark the 10th time Wisconsin has played in front of a crowd over 13,000 in its history, last doing so against Iowa on March 2, 2008 for a crowd of 13,320 people."

hmmmm.....not sure why they are calling it the first sellout in 21 years unless they have several thousands seats they traditionally don't sell (that normally are covered with a drape extending from the ceiling or something similar)

Wisconsin's first game at home was vs Milwaukee.

From the box score:

Game Information
Kohl Center
Attendance: 3,120
Capacity: 17,287 (18%)

From the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

There'll be empty seats at the Sold-Out Kohl Center when Caitlin Clark visits Wisconsin. Here's why.

Mark Stewart
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Dec 7 2023

MADISON – The Wisconsin women’s basketball team will play in front of a sellout crowd Sunday afternoon when Iowa comes to town, but it won’t be a packed house.

Based on ticket sales, attendance for the game, which is the Big Ten opener for both teams, will be between 13,500 and 14,000. Tipoff is 1:30 p.m.

The Kohl Center, however, has a seating capacity of 17,071 for basketball.

So how can the same venue set up in the same configuration list different sellout capacities?

The answer comes down to how the tickets are sold.

Tickets for UW men’s basketball home games are sold as reserve seating, which designates the holder with a specific seat in the arena.

Women’s basketball tickets are sold as general admission for the entire season, said Justin Doherty, the sports administrator for women’s basketball. That means the ticket holder can take any seat. With that freedom, however, comes the challenge of making sure parties that attend the game together are able to sit together, Doherty said.

“We just want to make sure it’s a good experience for people who attend the game and sit with their friends and family,” he said.

Space isn't usually a problem at women's basketball games. Wisconsin draws fewer than 5,000 fans for most contests.

But the closer the Kohl Center is filled to its capacity, the harder it is to make general seating work because seats are taken on a first-come, first-serve basis rather than in an organized manner that would allow more people into the arena.

As a result, UW sold fewer tickets than it had seats available. To accomodate the additional crowd, the upper two decks of the arena will be open. Normally they're closed.

Iowa's Caitlin Clark is a big draw

The reason the game is in such demand is because Iowa senior guard Caitlin Clark is coming to town. The popularity of senior sharpshooter exploded last season when she led the Hawkeyes to the national championship game.

This season each of Iowa’s road games is a hot ticket. Northern Iowa sold out for the first time when it hosted the Hawkeyes on Nov. 12. Iowa State, which played host to the Hawkeyes on Wednesday night drew, 14,267.

And there is more to come.

Iowa's game at Rutgers game Jan. 3 is listed as a sellout. At Ohio State on Jan. 21, the lowest you’ll pay for a ticket on the resale market is $350. At Northwestern on Jan. 31, you have to sign up for a season ticket package to get a ticket; all the individual tickets have been sold.

Why not use reserved seating for the Iowa game?

A simple way to get more fans into the building for the game would have been to sell tickets as reserved seating.

Shifting to reserve seating after thousands of tickets had been sold as general admission would be a challenging fix.

Normally seating isn't a problem UW women's basketball games, even when Clark comes to town.

Last year when Clark was a returning All-American and the reigning Big Ten player of the year, the Iowa-Wisconsin game drew 4,022 fans. That ranked fourth among Wiscoinsin's Big Ten home games behind Northwestern, which drew 8,217 on National Girls and Women in Sports Day, Michigan, which drew, 4,933 in the regular-season finale, and Michigan State, which drew 4,254 on a weeknight in February.

This year’s Iowa-UW game is going to drew three times as many fans as last season.

So after the Wisconsin game starts you may be able to walk up and buy a ticket? Not saying I'm going to try.

The Commissioner should petition Caitlin Clark to stay another year, and make sure to schedule Iowa's away games at schools Iowa doesn't go to this season. This season is Clark's farewell tour, and next season may be the reunion tour.

Just read where Pollard is giving away 2,000 student tix for Wednesday's women's game vs Iowa?

WTF

Giving away tix when it would easily be a sellout. Likely price gouging others to cover the freebies. 7

That dude is a few cards short of a full deck.
Taking lessons from kNebby football?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT