ADVERTISEMENT

Will Caitlin & the Iowa Women Sell Out all of the Away B1G arenas? Highest Ticket Prices are betw $1,544 (Maryland), $1,712 (IU) & $2,761 (N'western)

The full text of the tweet:

Caitlin Clark was asked a bunch about the women's basketball spotlight tonight on FOX, with secondary-market tickets going for $1,000.

“I think it just shows how much fun it is to watch. Women's sports are getting more and more opportunities to be put on the national stage, as they should. … It’s fun to watch. I watch it, I love it. I think women's basketball is in a really great place. You look around the country and there's just so many good players, so many good teams battling every single night. Tomorrow, I know there's a ton of top-25 matchups. I’m already excited for that. I just love the game. I love getting to watch it and the parody we have in our game right now. I think that's attracting more and more people to want to turn on the TV and really enjoy our sport.”

Why do they keep doing general admission? Waiting in line is the single most wasteful activity of human resources.

Because all their other games are poorly attended, and they're scrambling to deal with a giant crowd.

This Northwestern student paper article goes into some details about how schools are having to adjust:

According to Rutgers director of ticket operations Adam Marcus, the university implemented reserved seating rather than general admission seating in Jersey Mike’s Arena for the entire women’s basketball season as a result of its game against Iowa. At Purdue, the issue was guiding crowds of new fans, many of them Iowa supporters, who were unfamiliar with Mackey Arena. According to the school’s director of ticket operations Jason Bunger, the demographic of Purdue’s women’s matchup versus Iowa was much different from what Mackey typically sees at a sold-out men’s game.

60 days ago I bought 6 tickets to the Nebraska game in Lincoln for $880 and I thought it was crazy. Row 25 right behind the away team bench. I'm guessing I could sell them now for a little more. Won't do it though, I have 2 daughters who are bringing friends to see CC play. I live in Nebraska and maybe a little CC magic can help me keep my daughters as Iowa fans...

I hope Coach Bluder sits Clark toward the end of the game and save the record for Michigan. See if this forces the hand on NBC and they broadcast the game on the regular channel in addition to Peacock.

Tickets going to be pretty high resell against Nebraska, game with a shot at the record

Great Feb 8 story from Adam Rittenberg of ESPN.

Some fun excerpts:

Iowa has drawn an average of 10,953 fans to its road contests.

The game at Purdue, on Jan 10, had a crowd of 14,876. Purdue generated $106,257 in ticket sales for the game, nearly 5 times more than its average of $21,920. The school made $36,500 in concessions against Iowa, well above its average of $11,500.

Iowa played at Northwestern on Wed, Jan 31.

"There's a little bit more than a basketball game happening," Janna Blais, Northwestern deputy athletics director and the school's sport administrator for women's basketball, told ESPN. "This feels like an event."

Whenever Clark took the Northwestern court, 3 or 4 officers from Iowa and Northwestern remained in the mouth of the visitors tunnel. After the final horn sounded in Iowa's 110-74 win, two university police officers immediately walked on the court and followed Clark to her postgame interview with NBC's Peacock. When Clark and the Iowa traveling party left the arena, an Iowa police officer, looking relieved, thanked his Northwestern counterpart for all the help.

Caitlin now always does TV interviews on the court, after some courtside interviews at the announcers' table led to a crush of fans getting a bit too close.

Beth Goetz: "We made some adjustments a year ago, in terms of traveling [with] some security. We've got obviously great partners at different campus sites. You need to be nimble enough to react when things go well or don't go well at other venues."

Lisa Bluder: "Any time you get a crowd of people, it can be overwhelming. We have to protect her too. Every time that she signs autographs or stops and takes a selfie, she wants to do that, but we also know that takes an emotional and physical toll on her. It's really up to us to tell everybody, 'Only one,' or, 'No,' because she'd be there all day."

Caitlin: "It's cool to see how the crowds have changed as my career has unfolded," adding that she wished more arenas had reserved seating for women's games to prevent fans from lining up so early. "Obviously, I started in COVID, which is just family [in attendance]; and now, every single game I play in is all SOLD OUT. It's not something you ever take for granted. I think it's kind of crazy [that] people are screaming my name so much. It's not something you ever really get used to."

Caitin, on the Northwestern game: "I saw the tweets of all the people lined up outside the arena, and it's just cool to see what people are willing to give to watch your team for two hours. It shows what we've done for women's basketball."

Brian Eshoo, a fan from Park Ridge, Illinois, was at the Northwestern game:
He took his 2 daughters to the game. Eshoo knew tickets for Clark's home games would be tough to land and identified Purdue and Northwestern as realistic alternatives. He bought a 4-ticket season package at Northwestern, just so he could secure spots for the Iowa game. Late on the afternoon of Jan. 31, Eshoo stood with Natalie, a tall sixth grader in a Clark jersey, as well as Audrey and her friend, Franki Bontempo, near the front of the line to enter the arena.

"I grew up watching Michael Jordan," Brian Eshoo said. "We came here to see [Clark] -- Michael Jordan to these kids."

Iowa's average home attendance also has spiked, from 8,224 during the 2021-22 campaign to 14,998 this season.

The FULL Story:

Tomorrow's game will be IU's second ever sell out. The most expensive tickets for the game are $1,712 apiece.

Indiana Women's Basketball Ticket Prices Reach New Heights for Caitlin Clark's Visit

Michael Niziolek
The Herald-Times
Feb 21, 2024

BLOOMINGTON — The No. 14 Indiana women’s basketball team’s loss to Illinois earlier this week has done little to dampen the excitement in Bloomington about the game against Iowa on Thursday night at Assembly Hall.

The stakes will be high for both teams as they compete for position atop the Big Ten and for seeding in the NCAA tournament. The latest bracket projections show IU (21-4; 12-3 Big Ten) at risk of falling outside the top 16 teams and not being a tournament host in the opening rounds.

Iowa's leading scorer Caitlin Clark is fresh off setting the NCAA women's career scoring mark.

The Hoosiers have lost two straight games to No. 4 Iowa (23-3; 12-2) and five of the last six in the series. The fans had it circled on the calendar long before the Hawkeyes ended IU’s 13-game win streak with an 84-57 win on Jan. 13.

The game was announced as the Hoosiers’ second-ever sell out on Jan. 3, and ticket prices on the secondary market have been on the rise ever since.

Tickets to see Indiana basketball play Iowa at Assembly Hall won’t come cheap

Indiana’s home attendance ranks second in the Big Ten behind Iowa and top 10 nationally.

The Hoosiers are averaging 9,303 fans this season in 13 games at Assembly Hall. They have drawn more than 10,000 fans three times this season including the season-high 13,304 fans who attended a 95-62 win over Purdue on Feb. 11.

As of Wednesday morning, there were only 29 listings for tickets on Stubhub for IU's game against Iowa.

The only tickets that cost less than $100 each were a pair of general admission tickets and there was only one other pair of tickets that cost less than $200. The average ticket price was $353 on the site. The most expensive tickets for the game listed on the site were $1,712 apiece in the lower zone of Section B.

StubHub had sold 245 listings in the past seven days.

The only tickets available under $100 at other secondary sellers including Seat Geek and Vivid Seats were single general admission tickets.

Caitlin Clark has made Iowa women’s basketball the hottest sporting event in the country

According to Iowa's sports information department, the program has helped sellout or break an attendance record in 30 of 32 games played this season. The only games that didn’t fall into either category came in the first round and championship game of the Gulf Coast Showcase.

Iowa has played in front of a sold out crowd on every Big Ten road trip (Wisconsin, Rutgers, Purdue, Ohio State, Northwestern, Nebraska and Maryland) and its remaining two road games in the conference (Indiana and Minnesota) are already sold out.

The average attendance for Iowa’s road games is 12,986 fans (nine games) and 13,688 fans in the Big Ten (seven games). The Hawkeyes have more than doubled the average conference attendance for each opponent they’ve visited and accounted for at least 25% of their total conference attendance.

Iowa opponentHome Attendance (Big Ten)Home Attendance Avg. (Big Ten)Home Attendance vs. Iowa
Wisconsin34,6764,95314,252
Rutgers29,9163,7398,000
Purdue51,7657,39514,876
Ohio State61,4378,77618,660
Northwestern19,3872,7697,039
Nebraska55,8116,97615,042
Maryland58,4098,34417,950

The demand for tickets has significantly pushed up the prices in each of those markets.

According to Logitix, a ticket platform that collects data from secondary market sellers, tickets for Iowa’s road games this season are selling as much as 20 times higher compared to the team’s other home games.

(ATP = average ticket price)

GGOg1_xWIAE0ODg

The average ticket price for a Northwestern game at Welsh-Ryan Arena this season was $11.27 while the average ticket price (minus fees) for its game against Iowa on Jan. 31 was $224.30.

Last edited:
Did Nebraska also limit sales to less than capacity because of general admission issues? I know media has trumpeted the "sell out" at Nebraska, but the announced game attendance on Feb. 11 was 15,042. Yesterday, Nebraska men had 15,920 for the game against Minnesota. And on Feb. 10, the day before the Iowa women played at Nebraska, the Nebraska men played at home against Michigan, with announced attendance of 15,828.

Last edited:
Did Nebraska also limit sales to less than capacity because of general admission issues? I know media has trumpeted the "sell out" at Nebraska, but the announced game attendance on Feb. 11 was 15,042. Yesterday, Nebraska men had 15,920 for the game against Minnesota. And on Feb. 10, the day before the Iowa women played at Nebraska, the Nebraska men played Michigan, with announced attendance of 15,828.

I think so. General admission seating has been a common problem this season for schools hosting Iowa. That's why you saw the line at the door starting hours before tip off.

This is a story from December, from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

There'll be empty seats at the Sold-Out Kohl Center when Caitlin Clark visits Wisconsin. Here's why.

Mark Stewart
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Dec 7 2023

MADISON – The Wisconsin women’s basketball team will play in front of a sellout crowd Sunday afternoon when Iowa comes to town, but it won’t be a packed house.

Based on ticket sales, attendance for the game, which is the Big Ten opener for both teams, will be between 13,500 and 14,000. Tipoff is 1:30 p.m.

The Kohl Center, however, has a seating capacity of 17,071 for basketball.

So how can the same venue set up in the same configuration list different sellout capacities?

The answer comes down to how the tickets are sold.

Tickets for UW men’s basketball home games are sold as reserve seating, which designates the holder with a specific seat in the arena.

Women’s basketball tickets are sold as general admission for the entire season, said Justin Doherty, the sports administrator for women’s basketball. That means the ticket holder can take any seat. With that freedom, however, comes the challenge of making sure parties that attend the game together are able to sit together, Doherty said.

“We just want to make sure it’s a good experience for people who attend the game and sit with their friends and family,” he said.

Space isn't usually a problem at women's basketball games. Wisconsin draws fewer than 5,000 fans for most contests.

But the closer the Kohl Center is filled to its capacity, the harder it is to make general seating work because seats are taken on a first-come, first-serve basis rather than in an organized manner that would allow more people into the arena.

As a result, UW sold fewer tickets than it had seats available. To accomodate the additional crowd, the upper two decks of the arena will be open. Normally they're closed.

Iowa's Caitlin Clark is a big draw

The reason the game is in such demand is because Iowa senior guard Caitlin Clark is coming to town. The popularity of senior sharpshooter exploded last season when she led the Hawkeyes to the national championship game.

This season each of Iowa’s road games is a hot ticket. Northern Iowa sold out for the first time when it hosted the Hawkeyes on Nov. 12. Iowa State, which played host to the Hawkeyes on Wednesday night drew, 14,267.

And there is more to come.

Iowa's game at Rutgers game Jan. 3 is listed as a sellout. At Ohio State on Jan. 21, the lowest you’ll pay for a ticket on the resale market is $350. At Northwestern on Jan. 31, you have to sign up for a season ticket package to get a ticket; all the individual tickets have been sold.

Why not use reserved seating for the Iowa game?

A simple way to get more fans into the building for the game would have been to sell tickets as reserved seating.

Shifting to reserve seating after thousands of tickets had been sold as general admission would be a challenging fix.

Normally seating isn't a problem UW women's basketball games, even when Clark comes to town.

Last year when Clark was a returning All-American and the reigning Big Ten player of the year, the Iowa-Wisconsin game drew 4,022 fans. That ranked fourth among Wiscoinsin's Big Ten home games behind Northwestern, which drew 8,217 on National Girls and Women in Sports Day, Michigan, which drew, 4,933 in the regular-season finale, and Michigan State, which drew 4,254 on a weeknight in February.

This year’s Iowa-UW game is going to drew three times as many fans as last season.

With yesterday's game, according to the NCAA team sheets (a slightly different number than the Big Ten reports), Iowa is at 455,109 in total attendance for the season. Iowa is the first WBB team to cross the 450,000 mark for total attendance in a season. Only 1 other team (Tennessee) has crossed the 400,000 mark, though Tennessee did it 5 times, with a high-water mark of 445,925 in 2008 (in 38 games, inc. NCAA T games).

On an all games per-game basis, Iowa is at 13,791, shattering the all games per-game record of 12,164, held by Tennessee (1999), the only other team to exceed 12,000 per game for all games in a season.

With yesterday's game, according to the NCAA team sheets (a slightly different number than the Big Ten reports), Iowa is at 455,109 in total attendance for the season. Iowa is the first WBB team to cross the 450,000 mark for total attendance in a season. Only 1 other team (Tennessee) has crossed the 400,000 mark, though Tennessee did it 5 times, with a high-water mark of 445,925 in 2008 (in 38 games, inc. NCAA T games).

On an all games per-game basis, Iowa is at 13,791, shattering the all games per-game record of 12,164, held by Tennessee (1999), the only other team to exceed 12,000 per game for all games in a season.
Seems inevitable that Iowa will top 500k by the end of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT