ADVERTISEMENT

Will Nebraska fire Frost after 0-4 start ?

He has 4-5 years before they will be pressure to replace him.
(Assuming Nebraska is not playing Wisconsin level)

Reactions: Speedway1
I'm neutral in the Iowa-Nebraska fight, but in all fairness to Frost, isn't he forced to play a walk-on QB ? And his only scholarship QB is a true freshman ? He was left a mess..
I'm partisan in the Nebraska-Iowa fight. He ran off a 4 star QB in Gebbia. He knew Martinez was injury prone. He should have recruited another QB.

He wasn't left a mess at all. Riley outrecruited Iowa all three years he was there. Nebraska always has more stars than Iowa. Coach em up.

That was because the other QB on scholarship transferred out at the end of August after losing the QB battle.

You could say that he mismanaged that situation. He could have left the depth chart in place and gave the older player the starting job knowing this is a rebuilding year, giving him time to groom the younger QB for next year, and to keep from throwing him to the wolves.

It all blew up in his face, names the younger kid the starter, other QB transfers, the younger starter gets hurt (as predicted), now they are left with a walk-on starting.

Hey, I'm not saying the younger QB isn't better or more suited to Frost's system, he probably is, I'm talking about roster management in a rebuilding year.

I'm partisan in the Nebraska-Iowa fight. He ran off a 4 star QB in Gebbia. He knew Martinez was injury prone. He should have recruited another QB.

He wasn't left a mess at all. Riley outrecruited Iowa all three years he was there. Nebraska always has more stars than Iowa. Coach em up.

You said it better than I did. He mismanaged his roster. Gebbia wasn't chopped liver, the kid has talent, and he got run off.

Can you elaborate on your statement that Frost "ran off" Gebbia?

Frost is all or bust for Nebraska this is the guy they always wanted and now have.
He will be there for a long time no matter the record.

He’ll be fired after 3 years if he doesn’t produce a winning record. Those saying he has any longer are only fooling themselves. They fire coaches for averaging 9 wins, so really they’re getting what they deserve. It isn’t the late 20th century anymore.

Reactions: sltldowney
He had Tanner Lee, Patrick O'brien and Tristan Gebbia on the roster when he took over. He managed to convince none of them to stay and now he has no depth. He definitely is at least partially responsible for the QB situation.

Tanner and POB saw the writing on the wall that they weren't going to be very good on this offense. What is he supposed to tell guys like that, who can't move and are a horrible fit for the offense? Based on what TL showed us last year, I'm not sure Andrew Bunch is a worse QB in this offense than he is. Without being a constant threat to account for, an immobile QB makes this offense much harder to execute well. The offense forces you to account for a QB like that with a defender, taking one away from defending the pass or the run game. Lee and POB don't have that threat, so their effectiveness would have been minimized.

Gebbia - There is more Scott could have done to keep Gebbia around, like a fake QB battle play out for another week or two until Gebbia could no longer transfer, which is what Saban did with Hurts. But its not honest and its not doing right by the kids. Some were in favor of that. I'm not sure how I feel about it.

He could have recruited another QB, I guess, but we don't know if AM being THE class QB is what sealed his commitment in the first place. Maybe it wasn't. But it's easy to criticize from the outside looking in without knowing what else went on. He's said he would handle things differently the next time.

Frost inherited the team and the problems and risks that go along with doing a 180 with play style. This is a short term problem hopefully. The year was going to be a struggle regardless.

The hardest part of the pill to swallow with the QB issue is that the injury that happened to Martinez happened after the whistle had blown. He wasn't hurt on the tackle, he was hurt by the player who intentionally twisted his knee after the play was over. I can live with a player getting hurt while playing football. If you saw the clip of the kid cranking on Martinez after the play, you know that isn't what happened here.

He’ll be fired after 3 years if he doesn’t produce a winning record. Those saying he has any longer are only fooling themselves. They fire coaches for averaging 9 wins, so really they’re getting what they deserve. It isn’t the late 20th century anymore.
Disagree. Or at least I hope you're wrong. I think bringing in a former player who the fanbase clammored for will be pretty different as long as Scott doesn't tell the fanbase to F itself. I think most realize as well that if this doesn't work, where does that leave the program? Who are we going to hire? Not that you can't find good coaches, but there is NO ONE who will receive as much patience as Scott Frost will, given his ties and history with the school and state. He will receive a THOROUGH opportunity to succeed.

That being said, next year's schedule sets up really well for a strong showing, along with having more time to build your team the way you want it to look. I don't think he has a losing season next year.

Poor Frank Solich had one .500 season and gets the boot.

On the face, it looked strange. After hearing a couple of in-the-know former players discuss it on the radio, it makes more sense. Remember where the program was at a few years earlier? The culture TO had instilled was gone. There was a lack of accountability. He rode TOs wave as far as he could ride it.

Do you think Solich is happy and has turned down major D1 offers to stay at Ohio? Or do you think that may be about the right level for him? Same goes for Pelini. There are reasons neither of them have had a major D1 job since leaving Nebraska.

Reactions: UncleChesterton
Disagree. Or at least I hope you're wrong. I think bringing in a former player who the fanbase clammored for will be pretty different as long as Scott doesn't tell the fanbase to F itself. I think most realize as well that if this doesn't work, where does that leave the program? Who are we going to hire? Not that you can't find good coaches, but there is NO ONE who will receive as much patience as Scott Frost will, given his ties and history with the school and state. He will receive a THOROUGH opportunity to succeed.

That being said, next year's schedule sets up really well for a strong showing, along with having more time to build your team the way you want it to look. I don't think he has a losing season next year.
So if he has 3 straight losing seasons you think he’ll get a 4th year?

So if he has 3 straight losing seasons you think he’ll get a 4th year?
I don't think it's as simple as saying three straight losing season and he is gone. It depends how the team looks, on the circumstances. I think he is already putting a team on the field that will play hard, it's more physical, its stronger. If he continues to do that, and somehow has three losing seasons, I think he still gets a fourth. If he puts a team on the field that resembles Riley's team last year, no, he doesn't get a fourth. I think it's interesting that it's being speculated at this point. There isn't a lot that points to the idea that he will have three losing seasons in a row.

What I recall in reading short biographies about both Devaney and Osborn was that they looked at the demographics (and weather patterns late in the year) and realized that they would have a very difficult time getting certain skill position players recruited to Lincoln, so they decided that the option offense, run correctly, would be the best fit, since they could find plenty of linemen from nearby and just enough RB talent from other places in the country that would recognize how productive a RB could be in that offense.

Call me crazy, but the wide-open spread offense works if you can find enough skill position (WRs) and the weather stays mild.

For example, Oregon tapped into all of that California talent, UCF is in Florida - quite possibly the #1 State for skill position talent and even Texas Tech, with plenty of talent in Texas (and good weather). Tech had/has defensive issues, but that is a different story.

I will be interested to see how this works for the Huskers in a couple of years. I do not believe they have enough linemen on either side of the ball that are ready to compete at the top levels of college football right now and may not until year 3. That might be the real test - year 3. Can they get the skill position players? Can they throw it around the ballpark in November? Can they keep their QBs healthy?

I am not a gambler, but it sounds like a very long shot to me.

Reactions: milehighhawkeye24
That was because the other QB on scholarship transferred out at the end of August after losing the QB battle.

I understand the Freshman was by far the better quarterback, but knowing the circumstances, and that it was a freshman dual quarterback, I would have done a little 2 quarterback system, just for the mere fact the freshman likely couldn't hold up. The quarterback that transferred would have been head and shoulders better than the walk on they are playing now. This was definitely a misjudgement by Frost, and likely because they put all their effort into the Freshman and he was a forgotten man.

You could say that he mismanaged that situation. He could have left the depth chart in place and gave the older player the starting job knowing this is a rebuilding year, giving him time to groom the younger QB for next year, and to keep from throwing him to the wolves.

It all blew up in his face, names the younger kid the starter, other QB transfers, the younger starter gets hurt (as predicted), now they are left with a walk-on starting.

Hey, I'm not saying the younger QB isn't better or more suited to Frost's system, he probably is, I'm talking about roster management in a rebuilding year.

Unless you are the HC at Nebraska. They now are well known for casting aside even winning HC without so much as a howdy-do.

Unless you are the HC at Nebraska. They now are well known for casting aside even winning HC without so much as a howdy-do.
If your head coach wins 9 games a year, gets absolutely routed every time they face an elite team on national television, refuses to do anything about it, and tells the fan base to F off...yeah we'll fire him.

He has 4-5 years before they will be pressure to replace him.
(Assuming Nebraska is not playing Wisconsin level)

It’s as simple as this, concern trolling like the OP notwithstanding.

I’ll amend it to add that Nebraska wouldn’t dream of firing Frost if he duplicates Pelini’s record even if he gets embarrassed in the bigger games like Pelini. I live in Lincoln and while no one likes a skid, everybody around here gets that we sink or swim with Frost for a good long time.

It’s as simple as this, concern trolling like the OP notwithstanding.

I’ll amend it to add that Nebraska wouldn’t dream of firing Frost if he duplicates Pelini’s record even if he gets embarrassed in the bigger games like Pelini. I live in Lincoln and while no one likes a skid, everybody around here gets that we sink or swim with Frost for a good long time.

Is it really trolling when he does it on OUR board? Get it?

Reactions: sltldowney
No, he inherited a soft team. It's going to take him a minimum of 3 years to get that program on track. I say that for any program that has been mimanaged, recruited poorly, and plays in a major conference.

Awesome rebuttal...

If guys are neutral I wish they would coach themselves up and research b4 they post.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT